Stricter driving license approvals enforced against people with 10 medical conditions

webfact

Stricter driving license approvals enforced against people with 10 medical conditions

BANGKOK, 8 September 2014 (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has added a new list of ten serious medical conditions that may seriously affect one’s driving ability.

DLT Director-General Atchatike Rattanadilok Na Phuket revealed that he has attended a meeting with relevant agencies on finding ways to enforce stricter regulations against people suffering from ten medical conditions before granting them a driving license.

Initially, the department has only listed five diseases that were considered dangerous to obtain a driving license. However, the rules have changed recently in order to ensure road safety.

Patients suffering from ten serious medical conditions would be required to bring a medical certificate before getting their driving licenses approved.

The ten diseases include epilepsy, diabetes, loss of consciousness, heart and blood-related diseases, visual impairment, deafness, Parkinson’s, mental disorders, sleep disorders, and drug addictions.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-08 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Visual impairment, will that include Red - green colour blindness so Thais actually know they've gone through a Stop light. ?

Oh wait, that's not important.

Number ten is yer dead

Interesting headline that had me worried for a moment, for me it's ok as I'm only suffering from 7 of the listed conditions.

Pity the people suffering from all 10 and therefore will not be able to get a license.

If they were suffering from all 10 conditions, not getting a licence would be the least of their problems.

• Like 1

Interesting headline that had me worried for a moment, for me it's ok as I'm only suffering from 7 of the listed conditions.

Pity the people suffering from all 10 and therefore will not be able to get a license.

If you have a of those deceases you will need to bring a certificate from the hospital. (What if a person doesn't bring the certificate is the question that follows).

If you have a of those deceases you will need to bring a certificate from the hospital. (What if a person doesn't bring the certificate is the question that follows).

They only become deceases in the very advanced stages, or maybe if you're driving with them.

• Like 2

Ok, this is my negative moment of the day.

It's wonderful that people having an imminent heart attack won't get their license to drive. Now that we have got that squared away, is it possible to get some motorcycle police driving up and down Sukhumvit AND stopping drivers that appear to be drunk or have zero ability to drive?

The first few nights they may need a large fleet to keep up. If they impound the cars, trucks, vans and busses of the guilty, we should only need one or two motorcycle cops to monitor what's left!

I think we all have already heard all the negative comments about Pattaya police so hopefully no need to repost them here in the thread :-)

• Like 1

If road safety needs to improve there needs to be a serious change in attitude.

The point to start with is the police, which is totally corrupt and lazy.

The fines are also much too low.

200B (the average official fine around here) is much less that the minimum daily income.

And usually you can get away with 50B, which is just a joke.

This new rule will have a marginal effect on road safety.

And the disadvantages are bigger than advantages.

For instance: it's likely that people with minor problems, like diabetes, will have a difficult time getting a drivers license.

• Like 2

If they were suffering from all 10 conditions, not getting a licence would be the least of their problems.

Correct how does 500bts sound?

I have a Thai DL for life. I got it a long time ago. Nothing to stop me or others who have one.driving when they are too old or sick to do so. They should something about this sitution. I personally don't drive myself any more because I consider myself too old and so I have a driver. I use my DL only as proof of identity.

• Like 1

For instance: it's likely that people with minor problems, like diabetes, will have a difficult time getting a drivers license.

I can tell you first hand that diabetes is not a "minor problem" I have been a type 1 for 35 years. I that time I have been pulled over 3 times as the cops thought I was drunk. I have wrecked 2 vehicles. Thank GOD I never killed anyone but each time, after the cops found out that I was having a diabetic "incident" and not drunk......the cops let me go. This was in America no less. Yes type 1 diabetes can be a real big danger if the blood sugar suddenly drops.

• Like 1

I miss the underaged minors, sometimes as young as 8 driving a public road, often without,

# Helmet

# Insurance

on a 150 cc motorcycle doing 120 Km /Hr passing policeofficers and riding the opposite direction of 'normal' traffic.

I miss intoxicated drunks,having a lively chat with a traffic cop only to continue their stumbling driving skill to get home.

Any way

Medical certificates@50 bath each issued around the corner.

Safe journey all !!

• Like 1