Where does the Pilot Sit?

David48

I still think the best explanation is that early aircraft turned left better than right (due to propeller torque), leading to most approach circuits being left handed, sitting on the left allowed the pilot to see the airfield at all times.

Google "VFR RIGHT HAND RULE" folks.

Head on conflict, both go right, pilost on left side can keep each other in sight.

Most traffic visual traffic patterns are left-hand, pilot can see the airfield from the left seat, as said maybe a hangover from the early days and handling issues.

Following line features, both keep the feature on the left, no head-on conflicts !

Google "VFR RIGHT HAND RULE" folks.

Head on conflict, both go right, pilost on left side can keep each other in sight.

Most traffic visual traffic patterns are left-hand, pilot can see the airfield from the left seat, as said maybe a hangover from the early days and handling issues.

Following line features, both keep the feature on the left, no head-on conflicts !

Possibly as this does mirror the rules of the sea.

Who cares about that silly joystick, they obviously fly using WASD

I loled

Boeing is still sticking to the traditional control column, though ive heard once you get used to the airbus joystick its better

For me it would be WASD (throttle, rudder) + Mouse (pitch up/down, roll)

Edited by Jdiddy

Is that because now many First Officers are now female?

Further to the whole left/right thing.

Id love to know what this chappy does when the joystick is on the left but his single arm on the right http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28778728

(when it doesnt come loose that is)

Same thing he did/does in the Dash. Landing with left on the yoke (joystick), right on the throttle quadrant, assuming he's not doing an autoland in the Bus.

However, there is something about side stick priority command in the Airbus, I'm sure somebody will be along to disect that.

Pilot in Command normally seats in the left seat. But he can be in the right seat with another pilot doing Command training/upgrade in the left seat. There is always only one Pilot in Command in the aircraft even if two Captains are flying.

When i was a kid we were invited to the cockpit to see how the bird flew, i'm sure the Captain sat on the left. I guess you can't do that anymore. Pity. About all the buttons, i was in the front of an ambulance taking a friend to the hospital, all sirens going. Oh, all the buttons to press. I had itchy fingers!!

Edited by Patsycat
  • Like 1

Since I have your guys attention ... you know stuff I certainly don't.

My question is ... is it true that most of the flying is done with the Auto-Pilot, but take-off and landing is always done manually?

Most of the flying is in the autopilot. Take off is manual. Landing can be manual or on autopilot, if airport and airplane equipped.

• Like 1

My question is ... is it true that most of the flying is done with the Auto-Pilot, but take-off and landing is always done manually?

Most of the flying is in the autopilot. Take off is manual. Landing can be manual or on autopilot, if airport and airplane equipped.

Manual landing is preferred by pilots, infact autolanding is pretty rare i believe

Alot of the descending to the airport airspace and holding patterns is done by autopilot with the pilot manually inputting the ATC commands, final approach is usually done manually with autothrottle/ thrust enabled until they retard the engines to idle setting when they are just above the runway

Takeoff may be manual but if set up, you'll have the computer calling out when the point of no return is reached (when you HAVE to take off even if an engine blows) and when you reach the speed where you can take off with 1 engine inoperative

• Like 1

Manual landing is preferred by pilots, infact autolanding is pretty rare i believe

Alot of the descending to the airport airspace and holding patterns is done by autopilot with the pilot manually inputting the ATC commands, final approach is usually done manually with autothrottle/ thrust enabled until they retard the engines to idle setting when they are just above the runway

Takeoff may be manual but if set up, you'll have the computer calling out when the point of no return is reached (when you HAVE to take off even if an engine blows) and when you reach the speed where you can take off with 1 engine inoperative

Which does the better landing on a properly setup strip., manual or auto.

I guess criterion would have to be rate of descent at touchdown and best control of pitch and course without constant overcorection,

I believe pilots provide a smoother landing, but sometimes conditions prevent smooth landings alltogether

You'd be hard pressed to find a flight crew who would prefer a computer to land the plane in rough conditions instead of using their own experience, intuition ect

Edited by Jdiddy

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I still think the best explanation is that early aircraft turned left better than right (due to propeller torque), leading to most approach circuits being left handed, sitting on the left allowed the pilot to see the airfield at all times.

Only when nose high under power. It's called "P" factor and is due to the twist/angle of the prop blades. Pulling straight and level, each side pulls evenly. But when the nose rises under power, the right side blade(s) gain a higher angle of attack into the wind and the left side loses angle of attack.

So in one full revolution of the prop, the blade(s) rising on the right side will have a steeper angle into the wind than when they reach the top and begin to descend on the left side. The right side gets more "bite" and pulls harder. This is rarely much of a factor upon landing. It is no factor on planes with more than one engine if the engines counter-rotate and has little effect on jets at all.

Pilot in Command normally seats in the left seat. But he can be in the right seat with another pilot doing Command training/upgrade in the left seat. There is always only one Pilot in Command in the aircraft even if two Captains are flying.

True.

The pilot in command is the one with the most seniority, highest ratings, highest ranking, most hours, etc. It doesn't matter where he's sitting or even if he's in the back taking a nap.

Hi,

On all fixed wing light aircraft I have flown the primary flight instruments were set up in front of the pilot who sat on the left hand side.

When you try to fly any aircraft from the other seat for the first time it's a challenge both from a tactile and visual perspective.

Seniority, qualification and experience on a four crew trip does not necessarily determine who will be the pilot in command.

When it comes to the aircraft doing an auto land it will have lower allowable wind limits than when flying manually. The automation generally does a great job of approach, touch down and subsequent roll out.