Where does the Pilot Sit?

David48

Seriously ... where does the Pilot sit?

Yes ... I know up in the pointy end.

But does the pilot in planes designed for single pilots and

planes with dual controls does the 'chief or Senior' pilot sit on the left or right seat?

Does it vary between planes / manufacturers?

I always had it in my head it was in the right seat.

Just curious ... wink.png

The pilot sits nearest to the crash, there is a reason for this, it discourages crashing which can upset the passengers.

Seriously, the captain (who may not be the pilot flying) sits on the left, except if it's a helicopter when he sits on the right.

In light aircraft, the pilot usually sits in the left seat even if alone in the aircraft.

Why? Anyone know?

• Like 2

in a modern passenger jet with 2 guys up front, i assume they can both 'pilot' it. But isn't it the captain that always sits in the left seat? 2nd officer in the right . . .

Heli's? one of my cousins owns and flies a Eurocopter Colibri, but i've never been in it. Helicopters by their very nature just make me nervous.

Edited by Goshawk

The pilot sits nearest to the crash, there is a reason for this, it discourages crashing which can upset the passengers.

Seriously, the captain (who may not be the pilot flying) sits on the left, except if it's a helicopter when he sits on the right.

In light aircraft, the pilot usually sits in the left seat even if alone in the aircraft.

Why? Anyone know?

A little more complicated than that...have a look at

http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/Learn-to-Fly/Aviation-Subject-Report-Logging-Pilot-in-Command-PIC-Time.aspx

The real reason the pilot in command sits on the left is that usually he is the person who takes the role of the pilot flying in critical flight stages such as take off and landing and flight pannel and control setup is optimised for sitting in the left hand seat. The Pilot in command need not even sit in a seat though. He....or she could be sleeping in the crew bunks located right at the rear of Emirites planes. So David48 is right...he/she is at the pointy end..either front or back.

Edited by harrry

Why? Anyone know?

Yes, it is because most planes are manufactured in Europe and US where they are left hand drive whistling.gif

• Like 1

Great replies above guys ... thumbsup.gif

Why? Anyone know?

Crossy, you nailed the question because a mate of mine used to fly a helicopter, a Bell JetRanger.

He sat on the Right.

But as Satcommlee points out ... most aircraft are manufactured in the countries that naturally drive on the Right, hence the Driver is positioned on the left.

But, when my mate was getting his fixed wing licence I went up in a Cessna with him, and I'm sure he was on the Right ... but it was many beers ago ... w00t.gif

This all comes about because ... 'Why do we always board the plane on it's left side?'

Those who have a the serious coin, upon crossing the threshold, get to turn left and cattle-class, like me, turn right.

I believe it's because most people (including pilots) are righthanded, so it's easier to reach and use the controls.

I might be wrong though.

Do you know why it's called the cockpit ?

Yermanee wai.gif

But in an Airbus the captain's side-stick is in his left hand, perhaps all captains need to be left handed (we're more intelligent don't ya know).

1024px-Airbus_A380_cockpit.jpg

• Like 1

I believe it's because most people (including pilots) are righthanded, so it's easier to reach and use the controls.

I might be wrong though.

Yermanee wai.gif

Good question. Even though I'm a pilot I didn't know the history of it. smile.png

The word cockpit originated from cock-fighting !! In olden days cock-fight was a very famous sport. I am sure many of you must have watched it in some old movies also. A small pit was dug in which two cocks were left to fight. This was known as cockpit. With passage of time, this term began to be used for a small place where there was a lot of fighting. During the First World War when fighter planes were used for bombarding, the place where the pilots sat got the name cockpit because it was a small place where a lot of action/fighting took place. The name became so famous that even now it is called cockpit.

http://www.knowledgehub.co.in/2010/01/how-cockpit-in-airplane-got-its-name.html

And before that, a nautical history to it:

The term cockpit described the sailing term for the coxswain's station in a Royal Navy ship, and later the location of the ship's rudder controls.[citation needed]Cockpit appeared in the English language in the 1580s, "a pit for fighting cocks", from cock + pit. Used in nautical sense (1706) for midshipmen's compartment below decks; transferred to airplanes (1914) and to cars (1930s).[2] From about 1935,[citation needed]cockpit came to be used informally to refer to the driver's seat of a car, especially a high performance one, and this is official terminology in Formula One.

In an airliner, the cockpit is usually referred to as the flight deck, the term deriving from its use by the RAF for the separate, upper platform in large flying boats where the pilot and co-pilot sat. In the US and many other countries, however, the term cockpit is also used for airliners.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockpit#Etymology_of_.22cockpit.22

I might be wrong though.

Yermanee wai.gif

But in an Airbus the captain's side-stick is in his left hand, perhaps all captains need to be left handed (we're more intelligent don't ya know).

Is that because now many First Officers are now female?

I might be wrong though.

Yermanee wai.gif

Is that because now many First Officers are now female?

No, it's a French thing. They just had to be different than 'Z Ameri-cauns.tongue.png

• Like 1

Great replies above guys ... thumbsup.gif

Why? Anyone know?

Crossy, you nailed the question because a mate of mine used to fly a helicopter, a Bell JetRanger.

He sat on the Right.

But as Satcommlee points out ... most aircraft are manufactured in the countries that naturally drive on the Right, hence the Driver is positioned on the left.

But, when my mate was getting his fixed wing licence I went up in a Cessna with him, and I'm sure he was on the Right ... but it was many beers ago ... w00t.gif

This all comes about because ... 'Why do we always board the plane on it's left side?'

Those who have a the serious coin, upon crossing the threshold, get to turn left and cattle-class, like me, turn right.

Unless you are really lucky flying Economy from/through Doha on Qatar Air, then you stand a fair chance of loading through the rear, and get to turn left too!

It's odd. Sitting in business class on a 777, if they load Eco through the back hatch, you can go the whole flight and forget they are back there.

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 2

I might be wrong though.

Yermanee wai.gif

Which one's the e-book reader??

• Like 1

I might be wrong though.

Yermanee wai.gif

Which one's the e-book reader??

The one in front of the keyboard. In an A380 zou can even select the exit from a runway on the airport map and the plane will automatically apply brakes after touchdown. so that you will have correct speed to leave the runway at that point.

Also it normally goes: 2nd office < senior officer < captain < check captain.

It does not matter what rang all pilots on board have (can be more than two or three if it is training). There is always only one guy assigned as captain in charge. that is the guy that signs all the papers. and it is the guy that sits on the left.

If you closely all important switches are on the right. thrust leaver, gear switch. flaps and air brakes. engine switches as well as fire extinguisher and communications.

on a regular flight on a commercial airline take-off and landing will shared between the pilots. as all pilots need a certain amount of those to either qualify for a position on a certain plane type, or to keep their qualification. normally higher rang can decide but at Lufthansa it is a team decision, especially on the long haul flights were 3 pilots are on board.

on the picture above i assume that the guy on the right hand side did the landing as he has the primary flight display on one of his MFDs and the airport map on the MFD to the right.

left seat pilot has only on board cameras switched on.

• Like 1

Probably for the same reason that the right foot controls the accelerator/gas pedal in all cars, regardless of whether left hand drive or right hand drive. Most people are "righties" and ideally you want the preferred hand or foot to be in control of the power.

Yermanee wai.gif

Nowadays, even this is changing. If it is an all female flight crew, the alternate terminology is the box office.

Thankfully we are in Thailand, where it's still "ok" to laugh at that. wink.png

• Like 1

I might be wrong though.

Yermanee wai.gif

Who cares about that silly joystick, they obviously fly using WASD

When navigation was all visual, pilots would follow line features such as roads and railway lines, keeping them on their left, so that is why they sat on the left side of the aircraft.

Same rules apply today, so solo pilots navigating visually sit on the left, although in reality most are following their GPS maps and just looking out for other aircraft.

When navigation was all visual, pilots would follow line features such as roads and railway lines, keeping them on their left, so that is why they sat on the left side of the aircraft.

Same rules apply today, so solo pilots navigating visually sit on the left, although in reality most are following their GPS maps and just looking out for other aircraft.

I've got to question this.

"pilots would follow line features such as roads and railway lines, keeping them on their left, so that is why they sat on the left side of the aircraft."

Is that a USA experience?

There no logic why the features are kept 'on their left' ... could as easily be kept 'on their right.'

I've got to question this.

"pilots would follow line features such as roads and railway lines, keeping them on their left, so that is why they sat on the left side of the aircraft."

Is that a USA experience?

There no logic why the features are kept 'on their left' ... could as easily be kept 'on their right.'

It's called 'flying by the seat of your pants' and something most of us small aircraft pilots have done when in VFR. No radio navigation, just the compass and roads, train tracks and land marks. Used to fly low enough I could read the signs painted on top of barns or other similar things. Never considered left/right when flying this way. If the road was on my right I never crossed over to see it better from the left. wink.png

• Like 1