Thai Cabinet audio system: questions that need answers

webfact

EDITORIAL
Cabinet audio system: questions that need answers

The Nation

Why did it need to be so sophisticated and expensive? And why was the price apparently higher than the market price?

BANGKOK: -- Any government, whether it comes to power by elections or by military coup, needs to make its national budget spending accountable to those who foot the bill - taxpayers. All government expenditure must be transparent, reasonable and responsible.

Nobody voted for the government under Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, but that does not mean his administration can escape scrutiny.

Last week, Government House spent Bt69 million on installing an audio system to facilitate Cabinet and other meetings at the Office of the Prime Minister building. The system comprises lots of equipment but the most controversial are its microphones, each of which cost taxpayers a reported Bt145,000.

PM's Office minister ML Panadda Diskul unveiled the audio system before the media, explaining that it was as high-tech as the one used by the White House in Washington. The Bosch Conference System would modernise Thai Cabinet meetings and secure them from snooping, he said. Members of the media were shown the video screens attached to the Bosch microphones that allow users to monitor closed-circuit video. Panadda said he was proud the rooms' communication facilities were now state-of-the-art, complementing the newly renovated Naree Samosorn Building, which is ready to welcome foreign dignitaries. He even led senior officials and media representatives on a tour of the building as it stood ready to host the new Cabinet.

However, Panadda did not explain why each minister needed to watch a CCTV monitor while meeting with the prime minister.

Journalists and social media users quickly began asking why the microphone is so expensive. Then a strange thing happened: the market price of the microphone as listed on the maker's website shot up overnight from Bt99,000 to Bt199,000.

Questioned about the communication system's cost, Panadda, who has campaigned for anti-corruption and transparency in government procurements, said he was not responsible for the project, which came under the director general of the Department of Public Works and Town and Country Planning. This explanation raised further questions. Rooms in the Government House compound are supposed to be under the supervision of the Prime Minister's Office minister. Panadda holds that role in tandem with the post of Permanent Secretary at the Prime Minister's Office. Although the renovation of Government House was outsourced to another agency, the work was supposed to be done under the supervision of the PM's Office. Why then did the minister and permanent secretary in charge of this office say he knew nothing about it?

Also strange is the Department of Public Work's claim that the authorities' had not yet decided to complete the purchase of the communication system and that the price was negotiable. But this explanation was made after the system had been installed and questions raised about its price and procurement. How could the installation take place before the purchase was completed?

Most people would recognise a legitimate need for microphones during Cabinet meetings. The spacious meeting room accommodates 34-35 persons and communicating without the aid of amplification might be difficult. Perhaps Prime Minister Prayuth speaks loud enough to be heard, but others among his ministerial staff might have problems.

The big question is not whether the Cabinet needs such a system, but why it needs to be so sophisticated and expensive. Why, for instance, do ministers in the same room need the aid of video to communicate with one another?

Other questions that need to be answered by the government, not just Panadda, concern the procurement process. Why was the Cabinet sound system acquired through a special procurement? Why was the price apparently higher than the market price? Who supplied the system, and do they have any links to the protest campaign that backed the coup against the previous government?

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Cabinet-audio-system-questions-that-need-answers-30242800.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-09

• Like 2

Just like yingluck didn't know all the details about the rice scheme, panadda also don't have to know the details of his own project. Panadda is a good guy, hand pick by prayuth himself, and 100% corruption free. The equipment he bought is 145k, which is lower than 199k quoted. Althoght the us price is less than 2k usd, it has not included vat and postage.

I'm sure this was just a misunderstanding. It is obvious that the price of the microphones was the farang price. Once a purchase requisition can be sent to the supplier, they will realize their mistake and charge only the Thai price which should bring the cost down by AT LEAST 50%.

cheesy.gif

• Like 2

My wife told me about this a few days ago and I'm still baffled at the blatant snout in the trough still going on after the coup that was supposed to STOP THIS STUFF, HA!!! I was told that there is a connection to the purchase of this audio stuff and a certain doctor linked to the yellow protesters and his wife,

69 million baht for a few microphones, yu'p still amazed, it's ok though as the people asking the questions that need to be asked will be told to shut up and be happy OR ELS Off too the showers, oop's I mean the re-education camp's, didn't Pol Pot have those in action a few years ago...

And all you guy's out there that supported this, it's now gonna bite you on the ass.

• Like 2

Here is a chance for Prayuth to show he is REALLY out to stop corruption. It's really simple. Follow the money to see who's bank account took a huge increase recently. Corruption is STILL alive and well in Thailand.

I am of the same opinion, as in the rice-tablets this is bad governance and this has always been my point. Please note you anti army posters.

• Like 1

Seems My wife has great info quite often, my post #13...

however another question that needs answering is WHERE are all the "RED CORRUPTION" screeches? your silence is deafening...

can you guy's spell GRAFT!!!??? wait a sec.. didn't your graft buster just get busted also huh???w00t.gif

hahaha, yellow's don't know how to win an election and don't know how to follow purchase protocols either...

One yellow saying too another,, Ya think they'll notice???

Answer: mostly no just stupid red buffalo, and if they do, it's off too the re-education camps, we don't have to answer to them...

I wonder what more needs to be bought or re-vamped before power is given back to the people via a vote?

Edited by aussieinthailand

however another question that needs answering is WHERE are all the "RED CORRUPTION" screeches? your silence is deafening....................cheesy.gif

hahaha, yellow's don't know how to win an election and don't know how to follow purchase protocols either...

Answer: mostly no just stupid red buffalo, and if they do, it's off too the re-education camps, we don't have to answer to them...

I wonder what more needs to be bought or re-vamped before power is given back to the people via a vote?

The silence is deafening ??? have you read other posts ?? it is not about colours, it's about bad governance. Whether it be PTP or the army.

This is the big problem here on TVF. constructive criticism, Your post made it's point re wife comments-valid, the rest is propaganda again.

• Like 2

Here is a chance for Prayuth to show he is REALLY out to stop corruption. It's really simple. Follow the money to see who's bank account took a huge increase recently. Corruption is STILL alive and well in Thailand.

I am of the same opinion, as in the rice-tablets this is bad governance and this has always been my point. Please note you anti army posters.

ginjag, care to read post #13 and #16, you may like it?

The yellow connection is quite plain for you to see, but this deal was done a long time ago, for services rendered...

also if the current administration is up to no good, then who as head of the government is responsible?

• Like 1

The suppliers web site price went from 99k to 199k overnight..........nothing strange about that at all........!!

People do stupid things here in Thailand sometimes!!

The reason for very expensive Microphones is simple. Most Thai people are very much into karaoke and the Thai government members are no different, The need for high quality mics is for the karaoke sessions after the meetings............ Can't have officials sounding like crap over the audio system can we!

I hope General Prayuth is so embarrassed by this that he turns this around. This is a bad precedent to allow so early in his government and very close to home, also. I'll be watching for this to be corrected in an open and transparent way. If not, it is no better than having PTP still in charge.

• Like 2

ginjag, care to read post #13 and #16, you may like it?

The yellow connection is quite plain for you to see, but this deal was done a long time ago, for services rendered...

also if the current administration is up to no good, then who as head of the government is responsible?

Read #23--#25, you may not agree.

Why did it need to be so sophisticated and expensive? And why was the price apparently higher than the market price?

Are these serious questions? Every 15 year old can give the answer: Because corruption became a tradition here!

Wrong. It is the high import tax, and DHL cost.

Are these serious questions? Every 15 year old can give the answer: Because corruption became a tradition here!

Wrong. It is the high import tax, and DHL cost.

however another question that needs answering is WHERE are all the "RED CORRUPTION" screeches? your silence is deafening...

can you guy's spell GRAFT!!!??? wait a sec.. didn't your graft buster just get busted also huh???w00t.gif

WHERE are all the "RED CORRUPTION" screeches? your silence is deafening...

Not here because this is not related to any "Red Corruption"?

I see people, rightly, demanding explanations and, if irregularities are found, prosecution and punishment of guilty parties. You know, like people who actually care about proper governance beyond shirt colour would do.

Of course, being so obviously partisan as you are that mindset is incomprehensible to you.

Yes I do understand that it should not be about red or yellow, it's about corruption, you missed my point, what I was trying to point out was, and have a little fun at the same time, so many here have sceemed red corruption and portrayed Mark, Suthep and the Dems as Thailand's saviors and corruption killers, well plainly that's not the case is it. ie the yellow link as reported in the OP and the disgusting comments very publicly made by certain doctor on Suthep's protest stage vomiting corrupt reds out and how pure the yellows are, and his wife and the audio gear and the wildly increased market price after questions were asked.

So yes if you don't like my little back at ya comment, I say TO BAD!!! now the shoe is on the other foot and you don't like it when it's your guy's getting caught out and others here slapping you with it... cheesy.gif