What's the point of Thai banks issuing debit cards if nobody takes them?

Part of the problem is language (I'll be diplomatic here and say 'I don't speak Thai'). This is not a problem in Cambodia, and obviously not in Singapore and only marginally in Hong Kong. But it's more than a communication problem. It's a banking employees problem. I am not joking when I tell you I ask a precise banking question at my Thai bank and I get the answer 'I don't know' but unlike in Cambodia, it's not followed by 'so let me find out'. Instead I get a smile and a giggle. Thirdly, I get plain WRONG information from staff both on telephone and in person. For example, I enquired which Thai airlines my debit card would work with. I was told at Bangkok Bank BKK Air tickets could be purchased with my BKK Bank MC debit card (likewise SCB said only Nok Air and Air Asia). Then today I am told at my branch, in no uncertain terms, that only if I had a BKK Bank *credit card* would it work.

"But you could try"

I looked at him as if to say 'Are you retarded?'

And more to the point, why is the Thai banking system so vague and confused compared to banking leaders like Singapore and Cambodia? I use my Singapore DBS DEBIT card for everything from groceries to airfares. I use my Hang Seng (Hong Kong) and CIBC (Canada) DEBIT cards likewise and not just in their respective countries.

Just for entertainment and warning purposes, which countries in the region are worse - Laos, Burma, Vietnam?

Edited by hermespan

My SCB MC debit card has my name printed on it. Nobody at the bank said anything to me about having to set anything special up. Again, what I find strange is the ignorance of bank emoyees as to rhe rules. So, no doubt I will be doubly ignorant. How Canadian banks help is by printing brochures in Punjabi, Vietnamese etc so that their foreign itigin customers can make sense of the system.

So, now I have contradictory information: I. *can* use my Thai bank Mastercard or Visa debit cards , and I can't. Which is it? Obviously, it will not be universally accepted. And maybe if I set it ip correctly. How about being accepted to buy Bangkok Airways tickets. That airline (which seems. 'on the ball') said they don't.

My SCB MC debit card has my name printed on it. Nobody at the bank said anything to me about having to set anything special up. Again, what I find strange is the ignorance of bank emoyees as to rhe rules. So, no doubt I will be doubly ignorant. How Canadian banks help is by printing brochures in Punjabi, Vietnamese etc so that their foreign itigin customers can make sense of the system.

So, now I have contradictory information: I. *can* use my Thai bank Mastercard or Visa debit cards , and I can't. Which is it? Obviously, it will not be universally accepted. And maybe if I set it ip correctly. How about being accepted to buy Bangkok Airways tickets. That airline (which seems. 'on the ball') said they don't.

I did use my Kbank debit card (with my name on it) to buy a Thai Airways ticket. It worked. And when checking in the agent said "oooh, you stay Thailand?"

"What's the point of Thai banks issuing debit cards if nobody takes them?"

What's the point of a headline like that that is completely untrue? I've never had my Bangkok Bank debit card refused at any place I've tried to use it.

"I enquired which Thai airlines my debit card would work with."

It would make more sense to ask the airline if it accepted a particular bank's card.

"I looked at him as if to say 'Are you retarded?'"

Maybe an attiude adjustment would help you get a more reasonable answer?

• Like 2

i have used my Siam Commercial MC debit card in half a dozen countries. 80% acceptance, 20% refusals.

I got a BKB visa credit card and can use it any where. My SCB debit car is accepted in all supermarkets hospitals and some airlines. Maybe you don't understand the system.

But how many have tried to use your debit card internationaly ? either on line or in another country ?

Used mine in UK, Korea, Vietnam and Singapore with no problem. I have to highlight to the shop staff that it has no chip but they've all been happy for me to swipe it and sign a slip.

I have one of the cards that can have your photo printed on it - and this seems to help. It does not have my name on it.

I still get the automatic sms even when I use it in UK - which is handy.

whistling.gif My Bangkok Bank Be1st ATM/debit card was useful to me in getting local country cash in:

• Vietnam
  • Malaysia

Because it worked for me to get local currency from local bank ATMs in those countries.

That fact alone, made it worthwhile getting it.

I also use it for Thai baht in Thailand of course.

I almost never use a "credit card" for purchases from merchants, I pay cash.

i have used my Siam Commercial MC debit card in half a dozen countries. 80% acceptance, 20% refusals.

I got a BKB visa credit card and can use it any where. My SCB debit car is accepted in all supermarkets hospitals and some airlines. Maybe you don't understand the system.

maybe you have been anywhere but not everywhere? i have used my SCB credit in Lima, Peru and Cochabamba, Bolivia without any problems. same in Germany, Spain, Luxembourg and Switzerland. rejected was the card in Singapore, India and Hong Kong.

there is no such thing like "not understanding the system"!

Regarding subject of debt and Thai banking: The paper said that bank of Thailand is deleting information on Thais who have defaulted on loans.

So I guess they are now free to take out loans again and default again. Do they do this in Cambodia or anywhere else ??

Edited by morrobay

I do not have any problems with the Thai banking system. I actually think it is very good.

I use a Kasikorn k-web shopping card in my real name to buy anything I need (including air tickets) online and cannot recall ever having had a problem and I have a kasikorn debit card with my real name to use in shops and atms etc.

Difficulties only seem to arise from cards issued in the name "Privileged Member" which the banks use because they can be issued instantly and Thai people always seem to be in a hurry to me. If you are prepared to wait 5 to 7 days you can order a debit card in your own name from any branch. Cost is about 300 baht I think.