Truck full of pangolins crashes in Chumphon

webfact

Truck full of pangolins crashes
The Nation

30242936-01_big.jpg?1410306363152

BANGKOK: -- A vehicle transporting 133 live pangolins, six carcasses and 100 sacks of pangolin scales, worth Bt12 million in total, overturned in Chumphon's Lang Suan district yesterday.

Pangolins are threatened by illegal trading for their "delicacy" meat and their scales that are believed to have medicinal qualities.

After the accident at 10am on Asia Highway 41, police found an Isuzu MU-7 SUV in a roadside ditch. Driver Anat Rakchai, 31, who was slightly injured, told police he was hired to drive from Phatthalung to the Northeast but he dozed off behind wheel, resulting in the crash.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Truck-full-of-pangolins-crashes-30242936.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-10

Curious that it takes an accident for the police to catch the offender and discover the crime. Had the driver not fallen asleep the pangolins would already be in Lao on their way to Vietnam.

I am sure that they will still make out of the country!coffee1.gif

I have seen so many crashes like this in LOS and it always surprises me how so many just walk away with a few cuts and bruises.

probably because your body goes limp due to alcohol or drugs, or they are wearing a lucky amulet

Years ago, I was with a friend returning from a meeting late at night. We came across a car which had overturned, and parts were scattered far and wide, with a guy laying face down under the tree he'd collided with.

The local policeman arrived and he was chatting with us, when we realised there were now four people, the newcomer holding a blanket around himself.

He was the driver, as high as a newt, and was obviously quite relaxed when he was thrown out of his wreck of a car. Not a mark on him.

Yes, later I was embarrassed that none of us had checked the 'body' for signs of life. goof.gif.pagespeed.ce.KJ2oZpgSLm.gif

Had to read this just to find out what a pangolin is-------- any pics or info on what type of animal and whether dangerous?

you've heard of google right?

it's a kind of Asian armadillo-like critter

Wonder how many had to look up armadillo? biggrin.png

• Like 1

Had to read this just to find out what a pangolin is-------- any pics or info on what type of animal and whether dangerous?

you've heard of google right?

it's a kind of Asian armadillo-like critter

Wonder how many had to look up armadillo? biggrin.png

I had to look up "pangolin" as I don't recall ever hearing that name before. Scaly Anteater I knew, armadillo I knew, but not "pangolin".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangolin

Cute little buggers. Wonder if they can be house-trained ? Might be a better solution to various ant/termite problems than loads of chemical sprays !

Just what I was thinking.We have a terrible ant problem at our place,and what a great pet to have around.