Passenger gets away with fake gun on Chiang Mai-Bangkok flight

webfact

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dick heads like this make air travel more invasive and difficult for all ..I hope he gets prison time as it was obviously pre-meditated to show he could post a selfie doing so ...A1 Pratt

I'm thinking maybe this dick heads works for a company vying to sell airport security systems or someone working for a guy who signs off airport procurement who wants to start some buying processes ......(rubbing his hands in anticipation of the 30%).

Edited by smileydude

'The passenger, flying from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, took a photograph posing with the fake gun while onboard the flight and later posted it on social media.'

I was thinking it was going to be one of them stupid selfies, holding the gun up and smiling for the camera but it was a little more discreet, all very wrong nevertheless

attachicon.gifFake Gun.jpg

Its plastic if it were real it would have been detected the airport security are not stupid so stop making a mountain out of a mole hill. A present for his son perhaps. If the truth were known it WAS probably checked and found to be fake. Next you will see the cctv footage from the airport authorities showing him been questioned about it.

fake gun

What exactly is a fake gun?

I know BB guns that are exact replicas of authentic weapons. But since BB guns are by their very nature, capable of firing ammunition, what defines a fake gun. In some countries BB guns or Airsoft weapons have an orange tip on the barrel. The article doesn't indicate what kind of weapon and no doubt there will be a full inquiry into how the idiot managed to smuggle it on board.

Google it, read and try to learn.....

So, if a guy sitting near you on a plane pulled out this fake gun, you'd just sit there and do nothing...or worse applaud him for finding fault with security?

He was just lucky he was sitting near pussies like you guys or he would have been rushed, duct taped and stuffed in a toilet cubicle unconscious until the plane landed.

thats right, no justice like panicked mob justice....

however duct tape would be uncommon to have in hand luggage, more like hog-tied with phone chargers... oh and dont block the loo with your captive others have gotta use it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

'The passenger, flying from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, took a photograph posing with the fake gun while onboard the flight and later posted it on social media.'

I was thinking it was going to be one of them stupid selfies, holding the gun up and smiling for the camera but it was a little more discreet, all very wrong nevertheless

Fake Gun.jpg

Its plastic if it were real it would have been detected the airport security are not stupid so stop making a mountain out of a mole hill. A present for his son perhaps. If the truth were known it WAS probably checked and found to be fake. Next you will see the cctv footage from the airport authorities showing him been questioned about it.

Might be true for a metal detector, if he walked through the arch and didn't set off the alarm.

However, if it went through the x-ray machine, the shape would be defined as it is not just metal that is shown on their screens.

How do you think they find the hidden water bottles and the forgotten disposable lighters?..................wink.png

That said, if he was stopped, it would almost certainly have been taken off him fake or not, these airsoft guns are far too realistic to be allowed on a commercial flight. Still, it will indeed be interesting to see what the CCTV reveals if it is ever made available.

Flying from Sydney to Cairns about 4 years ago I was pulled up for flying with a small allen key/hex key. It was used to tighten the tripod mounting plate to my camera. All my camera gear was with me as carry on. I asked why I couldn't carry a small hex key and the security team told me it was a tool and no tools are allowed on board. I would have to hand it in to them or return to the check in desk and check it in. My response was to tell the security boss I thought he was a tool but I bet the airline would still let you on board. Needless to say I was lucky to fly that day as the resulting searching of my carry on continued right up to my flight departure. On the same flight was a uniformed Army medic with her medical kit. She had her medical shears and decompression needles confiscated also. It was an interesting experience and one that hasn't happened again even flying with the allen key again.

It's plastic....so stop making a mountain out of a mole hill. A present for his son perhaps? whistling.gif

So that makes it alright then facepalm.gif ....what a plonker!

• Like 1

For those of you that have never seen the xray images....this is what they look like. Here is a gun, a knife and an IED (bomb) in a bag. Granted, it is very sparsely packed, but any trained operator would be able to see the gun.....even in the midst of a bunch of junk.

This is not a good situation for the passenger, nor for the security screener at the airport.400aXray-1.jpeg

Report of fake gun on flight probed

THE NATION

30243001-01_big.jpg

CHIANG MAI International Airport has launched an investigation into reports that a passenger managed to board a flight with a fake gun inside his bag.

The passenger, flying from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, took a photograph posing with the fake gun while on board the flight and later posted it on social media. The image spread like wildfire, raising questions about the level of security at Chiang Mai airport.

"We have launched an investigation into the incident and must find out if this fake gun was really taken on board a flight from our airport," airport director Lakchai Chaloeiprat said yesterday.

He also vowed to improve security measures if the incident proves to be true. He also warned passengers against bringing fake weapons with them on a flight.

"Such acts are a violation under the Air Transport Act," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Report-of-fake-gun-on-flight-probed-30243001.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-09-11

this "gun" looks like 100% plastic

all the guy did was to bring onboard a gun-shaped plastic object - I am neither surprised nor worried.

The guy is a complete idiot to bring it on board the aircraft and photo it. 15 minutes of 'fame' for a bighead.

If he just wanted to test security at the airport all he needed to do was declare the gun in the holding area before boarding the aircraft. Yes, security failed but he was lucky not to cause a serious commotion on the aircraft. I hope they apprehend him.

For those of you that have never seen the xray images....this is what they look like. Here is a gun, a knife and an IED (bomb) in a bag. Granted, it is very sparsely packed, but any trained operator would be able to see the gun.....even in the midst of a bunch of junk.

This is not a good situation for the passenger, nor for the security screener at the airport.400aXray-1.jpeg

He should have done a selfie with the IED, no hang on that sounds wrong......

• Like 1

That does not surprise me, On Monday 8th I flew from Suratthani to Bangkok Air Asia at 11.25am I was in the queue to have carry on baggage x-rayed with 7 people in front of me, I noticed the security woman sitting behind the x-ray machine elbows on the table in front of the monitors fast asleep, I deposited my bag into the x-ray machine walked through and asked the security guy on the other side who was in charge who is your boss he replayed NO Boss I pointed to the woman at the monitors(still asleep) he just smiled at me, I walked around the x-ray machine and woke her up and told her I had observed he asleep She said sorry I told her sorry is not good enough and she should be replaced and that she had not checked any of the hand luggage in the time I was there I told the man on the other side of the x-ray to remove her as she was putting all our lives at risk for the 3 flights that where departing within the next hour, He talked to her and she got up walked away and come back with a new security man who sat in front of the monitors, I had a very nervous and angry feeling on that flight, Do any of the members reading this know who I can complain to, I have to fly to Bangkok next month again from Suratthani.

THE NATION

30243001-01_big.jpg

CHIANG MAI International Airport has launched an investigation into reports that a passenger managed to board a flight with a fake gun inside his bag.

The passenger, flying from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, took a photograph posing with the fake gun while on board the flight and later posted it on social media. The image spread like wildfire, raising questions about the level of security at Chiang Mai airport.

"We have launched an investigation into the incident and must find out if this fake gun was really taken on board a flight from our airport," airport director Lakchai Chaloeiprat said yesterday.

He also vowed to improve security measures if the incident proves to be true. He also warned passengers against bringing fake weapons with them on a flight.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Report-of-fake-gun-on-flight-probed-30243001.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-09-11

all the guy did was to bring onboard a gun-shaped plastic object - I am neither surprised nor worried.

You may make light of it, but a replica of an automatic handgun like that, even if it was made of 100% plastic and stamped Mattel Toy Corp., would, if you walked into a bank or a police station in the USA or Canada, possibly get you shot or at best arrested and detained. From 20 feet away it looks like a gun. Who cares if it was plastic or not, they've made plastic guns that can kill.

THE NATION

30243001-01_big.jpg

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-09-11

You may make light of it, but a replica of an automatic handgun like that, even if it was made of 100% plastic and stamped Mattel Toy Corp., would, if you walked into a bank or a police station in the USA or Canada, possibly get you shot or at best arrested and detained. From 20 feet away it looks like a gun. Who cares if it was plastic or not, they've made plastic guns that can kill.

the point is, the "gun" has not been shown to security personnel and a plastic gun doesn't set off metal detectors - so unless every single passenger is frisked, how do you want to prevent people from taking onboard plastic objects that can be shaped to look like guns?

A big story has been made of a non-event, except if the policy is to frisk all passengers - but I'd be surprised if that was the case.

To those lauding this fools act.... Think about it. He could have caused a serious and lethal reaction had security people with real guns confronted him and he used the same poor judgement that caused him to attempt this in the first place. Secondly it is NOT HIS JOB to take actions to improve security. There are procedures in place both here and in other countries where security faces regular inspections and unannounced planted weapons. Lastly if I had seen this guy take this weapon out of his bag on the flight , I and probably 20 others would have been all over him and it would not have been pretty. This guy should be sitting in prison.

OK I have thought about it.Yes security people could have caused a "serious and lethal reaction"---- his problem for being stupid,but the security's reaction would have been to avoid an attempt by some perhaps terrorist getting on the plane and doing their job of protecting hundreds of innocent passengers and maybe saving their lives. Secondly you are wrong to say "it is not his job to take actions to improve security" We are all in this together and are morally obliged to do anything we can to improve security especially if we see blatant breaches by useless agents who are deliberately not doing their job.By this I wish to state that I fully agree with his motives if that what they were,but think he went the wrong way about it,and even then as has already been pointed out----what would have happened if he had admonished a security guy for not doing his job.Probably a smile and a goodbye Wai !!!

I would be pleased to hear more info on the procedure of those" unannounced planted weapons" and would be interested to hear from anyone who has been at the scene of one of these surprises to find out what exactly the security did in that event.Lastly I would say that if you did your Rambo attack on him seeing the gun in his hand would have maybe seen yourself as the first casualty followed by some of the "20 others" that were going to be "all over him",but I must agree with you however on your last point"it would not have been pretty" There are still a lot of very devoted people around with mostly religious motives for creating massive destruction for their cause.I applaud any move to attempt to curtail any of these events that may cause the death of me and maybe many others for something that has me and them as innocent bystanders.I suggest that you re-consider your stupid and unwarranted reply and wake up to the reality that is all around you.

Never less... He needs to be caught!

Picture looks to be Photoshopped! Size of pistol in picture, a K-22 (which is an AirSoft Pistol!!) showing back of Airline seat and his leg.... Is out of purportion! How to get left hand in picture, holding pistol and still show other items??? and Arm would have been bent at such an angle wrist and hand would have shown strained muscles... Which it does not show

The only other thing is that he is not sitting in seat.... angle of Picture shows! If they have copy of picture from online it will tell you in Metadata where it was sent from (GPS) and type of camera/cellphone, maybe even cellphone's IMEI Number... with this you can track to Sim Card Info....

Get off your Butt's and do it BIB!!!

Edited by davidstipek

Sorry to say this ( I'm saying that as I know I will have comeback from dogooding tripe ) But this idiot could have caused a mass panic and in this day and age its not allowed, he should be charged as if it was real. And shame on CM airport for letting him through plastic or not, a discrase in my mind !

What is the point of having security? To smile and say Sawasdee? They are there to STOP this type of thing. Imagine if it was a Muslim kid with his Muslim parents on board? There would be massive panic with everything in the news at present!

This fool needs to do a few months behind bars. he is NOT oblivious to the news either!

Had to slip that Muslim slur in didn't you.The gun is why you panic,not who is carrying it

That does not surprise me, On Monday 8th I flew from Suratthani to Bangkok Air Asia at 11.25am I was in the queue to have carry on baggage x-rayed with 7 people in front of me, I noticed the security woman sitting behind the x-ray machine elbows on the table in front of the monitors fast asleep, I deposited my bag into the x-ray machine walked through and asked the security guy on the other side who was in charge who is your boss he replayed NO Boss I pointed to the woman at the monitors(still asleep) he just smiled at me, I walked around the x-ray machine and woke her up and told her I had observed he asleep She said sorry I told her sorry is not good enough and she should be replaced and that she had not checked any of the hand luggage in the time I was there I told the man on the other side of the x-ray to remove her as she was putting all our lives at risk for the 3 flights that where departing within the next hour, He talked to her and she got up walked away and come back with a new security man who sat in front of the monitors, I had a very nervous and angry feeling on that flight, Do any of the members reading this know who I can complain to, I have to fly to Bangkok next month again from Suratthani.

So, you started bossing around the security staff at the airport. And you push this fantasy farther by saying they took it and obeyed you. BULLSH*T!