Boeing workers too scared to fly on Dreamliner...

krisb

I wish people would stop quoting Al Jazeera. It is run and funded by the leaders of Qatar, which is a supporter of Hamas. Of course it would do anything and start any rumor to discredit the US. Not one Boeing Dreamliner has crashed.

Congress Goes After 'Frenemies' Turkey, Qatar
Lawmakers are threatening sanctions against US allies that support Hamas.

Sept. 10, 2014 | 3:25 p.m. EDT

" (US) Congress delivered its staunchest warning to date on Sept. 9 that Turkey and Qatar could face financial and other penalties if they continue to support Hamas and other US-designated terrorist organizations."

Read More

" Not one Boeing Dreamliner has crashed."

Unbelievable! Of course they haven't crashed –yet.

But come back in 5 or 10 years and we will see then. It seems like you are totally in denial of any possibility that people are taking drugs on the production line and the implications of that.

This shows the same kind of mindset as in another American aircraft manufacturing company which was recently exposed in a documentary on Australian International television services

(http://www.independent.com/news/2012/feb/16/ford-pinto-helicopters/)

Well, let's not listen to Hamas supporter Al Jazeera for a bit. Let's listen to a UK rag.

World's biggest super-jumbos must be GROUNDED, say engineers after cracks are found in the wings of three Airbus A380s
Cracks found in two Singapore Air super-jumbos, and one Qantas
Both airlines admit cracks, but say planes are safe
'We can't continue to gamble with lives' - engineer
Australian aircraft engineers have called for Airbus A380 - the world's biggest passenger aircraft - to be grounded, after Singapore Airlines and Qantas found cracks in the wings of their super-jumbos.
'We can't continue to gamble with people's lives and allow those aircraft to fly around and hope that they make it until their four-yearly inspection,' said Steve Purvinas, secretary of the Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association.
Both airlines, and Airbus, admitted that they had discovered cracks, but maintained that the aircraft were safe. In total, 67 Airbus A380s are in use worldwide, on seven airlines.The aircraft are in use by Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Emirates, Air France, Lufthansa, Korean Airlines and China Southern.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest bit if the same kind of culture also exists in their competitors plant. That's not what we should be concerned about. It should be about an ever-increasing culture of cost-cutting versus product safety.ermm.gif

But for you to imply because it's American-made none of these accusations can possibly be true and it's nothing more than a huge conspiracy by America's perceived enemies. giggle.gif That is plain ridiculous.rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Since we're into a gossip session, I heard that none of the pilots for any airline or Boeing will fly one of them. I also heard that none of the stewards will work on one.

I heard that no liquor manufacturer will allow any of its products on one.

I heard the no airport will allow one to take off or land. I heard that they have to be scrapped out right where they sit.

I heard a nationalist who can't understand that not all products produced in his country are without fault is active on this forum

I wish people would stop quoting Al Jazeera. It is run and funded by the leaders of Qatar, which is a supporter of Hamas. Of course it would do anything and start any rumor to discredit the US. Not one Boeing Dreamliner has crashed.

Perhaps take the time to watch the doco before you start engaging in tabloid based FOX news style criticism. Watch it and then judge for yourself ...if you are able to keep an open mind.

I watched the doco last night with an aeronautical engineer friend, we were both very disturbed by what was presented. I then took 30 to peruse their website which has further info

http://www.aljazeera.com/investigations/boeing787/default.html

And Boeings response

http://www.aljazeera.com/investigations/boeing787/2014/09/broken-dreams-boeing-responds-20149181020694622.html

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=20295&item=129201%20

I think the Boeing MR is more insightful for what is doesn't say and what is doesn't deal with.

Enough issues of a substantive concern are raised that should require some considered response.

Yes AJ is funded by the Qatar govt. However, it is not the official state news of Qatar. On the same night AJ ran an exclusive lengthy report highlighting the hypocrisy of the Palestinian Authority (which includes Hamas) publicly calling for an ICC investigation into war crimes in Gaza whilst privately not acceding to the jurisdiction of the ICC when they were offered to do so last month. (Palestine and Israel are both not signatories to the Rome Statue. Palestine could easily accept juridiction of the ICC but has failed to do so).

It was a patently damning report by AJ which shows the leadership of the Palestine Authority (ie. Hamas) in a very poor light.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/09/pa-leadership-speaking-with-two-voices-2014911101131329372.html

That would seem to undermine your flimsy biased notion........

• Like 1

Forbes business magazine is not dismissing these allegations ermm.gif

While many of the concerns raised in the documentary are not new, there were two particularly disturbing aspects.This type of banter – if that’s what it is – is not typical on the plant floor at Boeing or any other plant I’ve ever visited both as a mechanic and as a Member of the NTSB.

The second aspect that I found disturbing was the Boeing public affairs officer interrupting the reporter’s interview of a Boeing official when the questions started honing in on some of the negative allegations its workers had made. Nothing looks worse for a company than to cut off an interview mid-question with the cameras rolling

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/2014/09/10/documentary-questions-quality-and-safety-of-boeing-787/

What was especially insightful was the Boeing Head of PR statement in the context of suggesting that the exec was being ambushed. He stated, "we haven't had time to craft a response"

Here is the 'crafted' response, http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=20295&item=129201%20

One would expect the worlds largest (or 2nd largest depending on the year) aircraft manufacturer would address the issues raised in a more substantive and serious manner, especially after the airing of the program. However, Boeing has already excluded this by stating that no further comment will be made.

I have enjoyed flying on the 787 but these issue are of significant concern as to give foundation to apprehensions about flying on the aircraft in the future.

I guess it will be a wait and see approach, if any planes will crash in the next 10 years due to structural failure arising from poor manufacturing . Having regard to the success of the 787 program (1048 ordered), like any large manufacturer Boeing would have undertaken a cost benefit analysis & crunched the numbers.................

• Like 1

I've just booked to fly Royal Jordanian on the 787......get that champagne in the chiller!!

Edit: To add flights Amsterdam to Bangkok currently £1224 return in business....a great deal in my opinion especially over the Xmas period.

Edited by smokie36

So why are these concerns all focused on the "Dreamliner" and not on the other models currently in production at Boeing!

Stinks of publicity seeking by disgruntled employees -- hopefully EX employees.

Sure there were/are teething problems like any new model introduced by any manufacturer, this is not uncommon and I would not hesitate to fly on the B787.

Why not the same checks on the A380? they had engines drop off but all that has gone quiet.

And I do not know of a place that can fly without engines.

BOEING has made a marvelous plane in the 747. One of the greatest marvels in flight and one of the largest in service for over 40 years.

Now they are redefining again and everyone has an agenda wherever there is a camera and a few dollars.

I just flew on the Thai 787 on Wednesday. The last day of service,Chiang Mai to BKK route. I was aware of it unproven safety record but for a one hour flight and 1600 baht ticket price I was happy to risk it. I am not sure I would be doing Tokyo to Boston on one though until it's been in service for a few years and totally proven safe, no fires and smoke!

It's a nice plane, quiet onboard even sitting behind the engines. Good seat back TV , lots of good movies. The windows are large and they have some sort of LCD tint built into them . You just press a button to make the window darker like a dark pair of sunglasses. There is no pull down blind. Even at its darkest you can see out pretty well. One hour flight was too short to not any cabin pressure benefits.

My verdict best plane out there for long haul is the A380. Super quiet onboard, four big engines and no safety worries like the screamliner sorry Dreamliner. A 777-200 with a decent airline like Qatar is a good choice, on a row of 2 seats by the window.

• Like 1