5000B: Teach Me How To Ride a Bicycle and Motorcycle

themechanic

You can not be taught in a week a month or a year.

You could have experience in riding super bikes for 30 years and have the muscle memory and reactions to act in almost all situations and still die in a road traffic accident in Thailand.

Do yourself a favour and get the baht bus, your 5000 baht will get you about safely, just beware of people falling onto your lap with a handbag.

Hire a motorbike taxi rider for a few days. Ride around on the back of his bike and get the feel of how things are done - "how things are done" may fly in the face of apparent logic, but this is Thailand.

Assuming you survive two days on a motorbike taxi, you'll understand the basics (entering traffic without looking, no indicating, weaving all over the place, texting while you ride, etc.), then the next step is to throw away your helmet and buy a scooter with dodgy brakes and no functioning lights or indicators, and you'll be as happy as Somchai at a Karaoke Bar.

You could have experience in riding super bikes for 30 years and have the muscle memory and reactions to act in almost all situations and still die in a road traffic accident in Thailand.

Do yourself a favour and get the baht bus, your 5000 baht will get you about safely, just beware of people falling onto your lap with a handbag.

Phuket......baht bus???

That's an oxymoron if ever there was one.rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Phuket......baht bus???

Exactly - there is no baht bus in Phuket.

• Like 2

I really hope you are trolling.

Quote from your post 'Salary for driver?'

How much should I pay a driver?

My idea is that I give him a cheap motorcycle, and rent or buy a pickup truck for myself. He follows me around on the bike. If I decide to drink or just get sick of driving, he loads the motorcycle on to the pickup's cargo bed and takes over the wheel.

Reading this I see a potential danger in combination with this post.

'Teach Me How To Ride a Bicycle and Motorcycle'

Can other members spot it?

• Like 2

I really hope you are trolling.

Quote from your post 'Salary for driver?'

How much should I pay a driver?

My idea is that I give him a cheap motorcycle, and rent or buy a pickup truck for myself. He follows me around on the bike. If I decide to drink or just get sick of driving, he loads the motorcycle on to the pickup's cargo bed and takes over the wheel.

Reading this I see a potential danger in combination with this post.

'Teach Me How To Ride a Bicycle and Motorcycle'

Can other members spot it?

So? Just because I hire a driver, I shouldn't be able to ride a bike or I'm trolling? Answer the damn question or go away if you have nothing of value to say.

• Like 1

you are 'the mechanic' and you can't ride a bike?

Ever heard the term "Mechanic" used outside of its normal meaning?

You're a Hit-man?

A cheating card dealer?

Why don't you do it the natural way. Most children learn how to ride a bicycle which teaches them balance and the basics of maneuvering on two wheels. Buy a cheap bicycle and find a quiet parking lot where you can learn. Put on elbow pads, knee pads and a helmet if it makes you feel safer. After you are competent on the bicycle, move on to a Honda Click or or other automatic scooter and practice in a quiet parking lot.

(I guess Shot was posting as I was typing.)

Edited by waynethor

Phuket......baht bus???

What's the 20thb bus thing called here?

Phuket......baht bus???

A songthaew.

Phuket......baht bus???

A songthaew.

And it's 35B-50B here, comes every 30 minutes at best, but often not nearly that often, doesn't operate after dark, and there isn't one between the beach towns, the route most commonly traveled by foreigners here. The last time that was tried, the driver was pulled from his bus and beaten by tuk tuk mafia. This still needs to be sorted by the Army.

Edited by NomadJoe

A songthaew.

I understand the type of vehicle is a Songthaew. Do people say "I'm off to catch the Songthaew"?

Yes. (The few people that use them)

Phuket songtheaw:

songthaew.jpg

A Pattaya baht bus:

pattaya-baht-bus.jpg

Edited by NomadJoe

A songthaew.

And it's 35B-50B here, comes every 30 minutes at best, but often not nearly that often, doesn't operate after dark, and there isn't one between the beach towns, the route most commonly traveled by foreigners here. The last time that was tried, the driver was pulled from his bus and beaten by tuk tuk mafia. This still needs to be sorted by the Army.

They do travel between some the beach towns such as Kata, Karon and Kamala, Surin.

I'm sure it is on the list of things for the army to say they are sorting out.

When you say learn what do you mean ? The mechanics a of running through the gears ?

If you can operate the bike, ie move off it's just about observing everything around you, same as you would in a car.

What kind of bike do you have ?

Certainly happy to help you out.

SDM

Dont drive to fast and dont overtake all the time, stick to the left part of the road away from the cars. Keep your eyes on the traffic going in all directions and also on the condition of the road. If you drive carefully its not like the traffic is insanely dangerous.

Edited by Kaalle