Lao children are better educated than Thai kids

webfact

Year after year after year...we hear the same old tune about the education system here. Its funny in a sad kind of way. Thais love to call anyting they consider unfashionable or stupid as being 'Laos'......How ironic this is then.....

This REALLY needs to be sorted out NOW! I am working at a government school at the moment......not for much longer because I have had it! Thai schools are, in the main a joke. Thai teachers are dinosaurs that are still using teaching techniques that come from 1937. I often walk past the Thai teachers classes and more often than not they are sitting on their backsides with NO interaction with students! They simply write a load of info on the board and the kids copy it.....after that thier job is done!!!! I would be ashamed to teach in such a way. I feel it is my job to try and engage the students, interact with them, get them questioning me. I am the odd one out it seems.

The head of English at my school is a lovely lady that has a Masters degree in English. I often have to speak Thai with her as, if I dont, she wont understand what I am on about! Unfortunately this is common here. I have only met a handful of Thai English teachers that can actually have a conversation past the level of a 5 or 6 year old. I have to 'teach the teachers' sometimes and guess who are the ones that dont show up???!!!! You guessed it....the Thai English teachers!!! Why? Because its such a MASSIVE loss of face for them to be in a room with a native speaker.....I mean, what if I ask them a question? If I do everyone will see that the reality is that they CANNOT speak English!!! They are the teachers that most need to be there when I am 'teaching the teachers' What hope do the kids have? They see me once a week, twice if they are lucky. The rest of their exposure to English is through these numpties that cannot do their jobs properly.

I am looking forward to AEC opening. Thailand is slowly but surely starting to wake up to the fact that its not the centre of the universe. Its starting to realise that its not looking too good in comparision to its other ASEAN friends. It could go either way, but I am a bit cynical. I think Thailand will do what it always does, it will sweep things under the carpet, it will withdraw from a fight on a level playing field, a fight in which it will most surely ge a very bloody nose. AEC will be just a name, the Thais will find a way to get around all the horrible new rules that will show them up. It will be AEC on paper only. In reality nothing will change. The nepotism that is the cause of so much incomptence here will stay. The sad thing for Thailand is that talented people get cast aside by others with connections, or money. I have so many lovely and smart students in my classes....but so what? The system is against them. I just cannot see this place doing what is required to enable it to really, I mean really compete with places like Singapore. I hope I am wrong.

Am I being cynical? After reading headlines for years and years about how the educations system needs to change...and nothing happening...yes I am being cynical. I think the answer to the problem is clear. If you want an education.....go to Laos!

So most Thais cant speak English beyond the level of a 5 or six year old?? So let me ask you this..How many people in the UK can speak French or German or any other language beyond the level of a six year old?? I don't speak Thai beyond the level of a six year old but its not from lack of trying!

While the Thai educational system has many shortcomings, these type of surveys need to be taken with a pinch of salt!!

Many of us on this forum are married to Thais. If the education system is producing such robotic people incapable of critical thought then we need to ask the question why so many'educated' westerners marry Thais?????

The perfect educational system doesn't exist. We need to be culturally aware when analyzing the Thai system and remember that its developed from a different way of thinking. Let's not be arrogant and assume that Western systems are the best. I've just returned here from the UK. People are miserable there and struggling to survive. Compare that with the vibrancy and positive outlook of Thai's. Maybe we are the ones who have it all wrong????

If you had read my post properly you would have see that I was referring to THAI ENGLISH TEACHERS!!!!Is that hard for you to grasp? What? Its ok for teachers of language to not actually be able to speak that language?? And by the way, I am married to a Thai lady, she is smart and we have a son.....he is smart as well! I am NOT talking about the average Joe Thai......get it?

Oops! I don't have all day to read your novel about the Thai education system. Lighten up a bit!!Jai Yen!!

My post did move beyond that part of your 'article'. I was just making the point that sometimes westerners are arrogant and attempt to impose their values and systems on the rest of the world. Thailand has survived on its own for centuries so they must be doing something right!

• Like 1

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I teach here. There are a lot of VERY VERY bright Thai people. I love living here and I enjoy teaching. I am simply pointing out that the level of English being taught by the Thais is woeful. Does that matter? YES! It matters because of AEC....it matters because learning English opens people up to a world of information.....

The EU survives through the use of interpreters.. French and Spanish people are not exactly good at English are they? AEC will develop regardless of the English ability of normal people in Thailand.

I would say that Chinese or Japanese would be of more use to Thai people as it opens up huge opportunities for them to become involved in Asian markets...

Remember too that Thai English teachers generally teach the basics of Grammar. That;s why many of them struggle to speak to a higher level. They translate grammatical rules all day. In Ireland we learn French or German in secondary school with non native speakers too. I can read and form sentences in French but struggle badly in conversation. That's after having lessons for six years...

How is your Thai by the way? Languages are not easy to learn for everybody...

From what I have seen, thais are taught that they are superior to ALL other races, and unfortunately it stops there. If and when the other ASEAN countries are allowed to come here and work in 2015 (which I doubt) the thais won,t know what hit them ! 100% unemployment here we come smile.png

Just like people from The UK and USA assume they are superior to everyone else...They may not say it openly but they have colonized most of the world in the last 500 years!!!

• Like 1

Its a pity and a shame that this is the case in Thailand, Thais are not stupid or slow learners, the ones that I have taken under my wing, have proven to be very quick learners and shown how cleaver, Thais really are.

The culture of "I am older than you so therefore I am smarter than you" and "Do as I say not as I do" doesn't help, as with not allowing the children to debate with or question the all revered Ajarn as individuals, does not allow them to grow, explore and develop as western educated children do.

I think It will be very hard to uproot this age old culture and if they do put in a plan of change, who is going to implement it? as the Thai Teachers will have no experience or understanding of it.

Just my opinioncoffee1.gif

For the most part I agree apart from the "I am older than you so therefore I am smarter than you" and "Do as I say not as I do" bit. This applies to pretty much all of Asia including Japan and Korea and they seem to have no problem learning, maybe its what the olders are saying and doing rather than that being a problem.

You have a good point, however I would still say that if the elders and the Ajarn's are doing, saying and teaching the wrong way, then the culture of "I am older than you so therefore I am smarter than you" and "Do as I say not as I do" is still part of the problem and defiantly not a part of the solution.

That was the point I was trying to make (but probably didn't put it very well) the whole "I am older than you so therefore smarter than you" can work as long as the elders are not teaching utter crap.

• Like 1

Remember too that Thai English teachers generally teach the basics of Grammar. That;s why many of them struggle to speak to a higher level. They translate grammatical rules all day. In Ireland we learn French or German in secondary school with non native speakers too. I can read and form sentences in French but struggle badly in conversation. That's after having lessons for six years...

How is your Thai by the way? Languages are not easy to learn for everybody...

The point here is not how much we, as individuals, learned or didn't learn about another language many years ago. It's about teachers, students, and results.

As for speaking a language, though, there are some comments on this topic that have made in reference to speaking at the level of a 5- or 6-year-old child in one language or another. I studied Thai for two years as well as Spanish and German while in universities back in the US; my major was linguistics. I would give just about anything to be able to speak and understand those languages as a 3-year-old! 6-year-olds can say anything they want in the languages that they hear daily. Politics and philosophy aside, even a three-year-old can express himself or herself quite adequately.

Thai teachers who are supposedly qualified to teach English have had years and years of exposure to English. Since childhood, actually. Today, especially since the magic of the internet and other media, there's no excuse for unqualified teachers, other than pride plus the lack of motivation fueled by corruption in the system. That, and the fact that parents are not willing or able to demand better for their kids.

• Like 1

Year after year after year...we hear the same old tune about the education system here. Its funny in a sad kind of way. Thais love to call anyting they consider unfashionable or stupid as being 'Laos'......How ironic this is then.....

This REALLY needs to be sorted out NOW! I am working at a government school at the moment......not for much longer because I have had it! Thai schools are, in the main a joke. Thai teachers are dinosaurs that are still using teaching techniques that come from 1937. I often walk past the Thai teachers classes and more often than not they are sitting on their backsides with NO interaction with students! They simply write a load of info on the board and the kids copy it.....after that thier job is done!!!! I would be ashamed to teach in such a way. I feel it is my job to try and engage the students, interact with them, get them questioning me. I am the odd one out it seems.

The head of English at my school is a lovely lady that has a Masters degree in English. I often have to speak Thai with her as, if I dont, she wont understand what I am on about! Unfortunately this is common here. I have only met a handful of Thai English teachers that can actually have a conversation past the level of a 5 or 6 year old. I have to 'teach the teachers' sometimes and guess who are the ones that dont show up???!!!! You guessed it....the Thai English teachers!!! Why? Because its such a MASSIVE loss of face for them to be in a room with a native speaker.....I mean, what if I ask them a question? If I do everyone will see that the reality is that they CANNOT speak English!!! They are the teachers that most need to be there when I am 'teaching the teachers' What hope do the kids have? They see me once a week, twice if they are lucky. The rest of their exposure to English is through these numpties that cannot do their jobs properly.

I am looking forward to AEC opening. Thailand is slowly but surely starting to wake up to the fact that its not the centre of the universe. Its starting to realise that its not looking too good in comparision to its other ASEAN friends. It could go either way, but I am a bit cynical. I think Thailand will do what it always does, it will sweep things under the carpet, it will withdraw from a fight on a level playing field, a fight in which it will most surely ge a very bloody nose. AEC will be just a name, the Thais will find a way to get around all the horrible new rules that will show them up. It will be AEC on paper only. In reality nothing will change. The nepotism that is the cause of so much incomptence here will stay. The sad thing for Thailand is that talented people get cast aside by others with connections, or money. I have so many lovely and smart students in my classes....but so what? The system is against them. I just cannot see this place doing what is required to enable it to really, I mean really compete with places like Singapore. I hope I am wrong.

Am I being cynical? After reading headlines for years and years about how the educations system needs to change...and nothing happening...yes I am being cynical. I think the answer to the problem is clear. If you want an education.....go to Laos!

Absolutely spot on. Mrs Yim is a highly qualified English teacher, with a masters degree, teaching a reputedly good school and her English never ceases to amaze me. Amaze me at how bad it is.

If Thai teachers were to extract their heads from their <deleted> and do what they are paid to do, then maybe the education system would improve.

wai.gif

• Like 2

Lao children are better educated than Thai kids

Wow, that gotta hurt. Please forward link to this page to all teachers in Thailand, all students in Thailand, all staff at Thai Ministry of Education. Not that many of them could read & understand it.

Time to take your head out of the sand and actually do something about education in Thailand rather than just talk about it.

• Like 1

This cannot possibly be correct as the Laotians are inferior to Thais and here in Isan most definitely looked down on.

Just the stupid attitude which means the problem will never be cured...

Ego is the biggest problem the world over...

Famine, disease and war causes more deaths than ego, in my estimation.

While ego may be a contributory factor, in some instances, it would seem simplistic to attribute it as the main or "biggest" problem world over.

The report is typical of stuff emanating from the WEF, which is a mouthpiece for the corporate sector which is increasingly taking over politics, the economy and just about every other aspect of our lives.

Their surveys should be taken with a large pinch of salt, as should every other pronouncement they make.

Education is not, as the WEF and those businessmen and women members who contributed to the survey would have us believe, all about churning out complaint little cogs for the wheels of industry.

Just look where conformance to the current model of "free market" capitalism has led us - to increasing inequality and the relentless rape of resources which are destroying the planet and its climate at an unprecedented rate.

We all need re-educating, and not courtesy of policies shaped by the current corporatocracy and its well-oiled publicity machine.

• Like 1

If they changed the P**s poor attitude of the old teachers in the village schools, it might help. My wife father and mother are teachers both in there late 50's in a village school and both are of the understanding they can not be wrong . When a new younger teacher comes with modern idea's to try to help the young children he/she is ganged up against and told to do it there way. Best thing they can do here retire anyone over 50 look at joining village schools to pool resources and stop having Thai's that can not speak English teach English and let the children have an opinion

• Like 1

If they changed the P**s poor attitude of the old teachers in the village schools, it might help. My wife father and mother are teachers both in there late 50's in a village school and both are of the understanding they can not be wrong . When a new younger teacher comes with modern idea's to try to help the young children he/she is ganged up against and told to do it there way. Best thing they can do here retire anyone over 50 look at joining village schools to pool resources and stop having Thai's that can not speak English teach English and let the children have an opinion

Great solution; just discriminate based on age.

How about proper evaluations and re-training?

Not everyone over 50 is a dinosaur you know!

• Like 1

So most Thais cant speak English beyond the level of a 5 or six year old?? So let me ask you this..How many people in the UK can speak French or German or any other language beyond the level of a six year old?? I don't speak Thai beyond the level of a six year old but its not from lack of trying!

While the Thai educational system has many shortcomings, these type of surveys need to be taken with a pinch of salt!!

Many of us on this forum are married to Thais. If the education system is producing such robotic people incapable of critical thought then we need to ask the question why so many'educated' westerners marry Thais?????

The perfect educational system doesn't exist. We need to be culturally aware when analyzing the Thai system and remember that its developed from a different way of thinking. Let's not be arrogant and assume that Western systems are the best. I've just returned here from the UK. People are miserable there and struggling to survive. Compare that with the vibrancy and positive outlook of Thai's. Maybe we are the ones who have it all wrong????

Actually the OP said in clear English that the Thai English Teachers could not speak English better than a 5 or 6 year old Engish speaker.

• Like 2

This cannot possibly be correct as the Laotians are inferior to Thais and here in Isan most definitely looked down on.

And a Country that claims to be 95% Buddhist, they should know that the Buddha taught, that you shouldn't look down on others!

It has become show business Buddhism. How many Thais actually employ Buddhist principles in their daily lives. Face shouldn't be a problem for the true Buddhist.

• Like 1

If you had read my post properly you would have see that I was referring to THAI ENGLISH TEACHERS!!!!Is that hard for you to grasp? What? Its ok for teachers of language to not actually be able to speak that language?? And by the way, I am married to a Thai lady, she is smart and we have a son.....he is smart as well! I am NOT talking about the average Joe Thai......get it?

Oops! I don't have all day to read your novel about the Thai education system. Lighten up a bit!!Jai Yen!!

My post did move beyond that part of your 'article'. I was just making the point that sometimes westerners are arrogant and attempt to impose their values and systems on the rest of the world. Thailand has survived on its own for centuries so they must be doing something right!

Agreed , sounded like a pretty arrogant reply, trust the teaching techniques are a little better.

• Like 1

He is talking about the Thai teachers in charge of teaching English you moron,they should be able to speak English at a higher level than a 6 year old right?do you understanding yes?

• Like 1

It's not the kids fault, it is the corrupt and shoddy system that has been running for countless years. Hence why you see any shop keeper or stall owner with their trusty calculator, I have just gotten used to telling them how much change I need before they press their buttons.

Also Thai's not being so amazing at English, well we all know why that is don't we. Those amazing English teachers that have been working here have been doing wonders for all these years, it really shows.

I hope the Junta can sort this out, they are half kind of doing it and half not, I still have my doubts and have always said he has a lot to live up to, if he fails then what?

Yes, but GDP per person in Laos is considerably lower than Thailand.
And even if GDP per person in Laos is growing quicker than Thailand, it will take them decades to catch up with Thailand. And it's not going to happen.

Just as absurd as being scared that GDP per person in places like Bulgaria, Romania and Poland, that they will catch up with Britain !
:)

Teaching children how to bow before teachers and making it an "offence" to ask them questions is a concept for failure.

That's right. And let's spend most of the time in school having sunshine pumped up our backsides, telling us that we're the center of the universe and superior to all other nations, or making the school look pretty for some bullsh*t superficial inspection by lazing uncaring education officials.

Don't forget to reinforce the idea to the students that no matter how little effort you make, you'll be moved on through the grades because we would never want you to lose face and perhaps have to face the reality that you're lazy and must work harder.

While we're at it, let's not actually change anything about an education system that has obviously been inferior for decades. Just having one of our poorly educated ministers talk about "education reform" but actually do nothing is good enough.

If pride and saving face is really so important to Thais then this, which is just another version of many similar results from previous reports, should get them all to start actually working in schools, both the teachers and the students. I would bet big that when the same type of report comes out 10 years from now nothing will have changed.

I had a friend who was a teacher of English here, and he was saying that the fundamental problem with the Thai education system is that they are not taught how to think for themselves. For the most part they are given answers to questions and not the path to that answer, thus not really learning much or the skills needed to solve problems later in life.

He is talking about the Thai teachers in charge of teaching English you moron,they should be able to speak English at a higher level than a 6 year old right?do you understanding yes?

Right, and thats basicaly all I am saying.....that some people cant get that is beyond me. I am NOT saying Thais are stupid....I am married to a smart Thai lady who is also a teacher! Its nothing to do with people being happy...or not! Its about the level of spoken English here amongst people that should be better...much better.

If a geography teacher doesnt know where Russia is on a map....then are they a competent geography teacher???? NO!. If a master degree (in English) holder cannot understand "where are the students today? Have they gone on a school trip"?...What does that tell you? And that is NOT an isolated incident! I really want Thailand to do well. I like this place and only want the best for it....however I am not a sycophant and I dont wear rose coloured glasses. Every country has problems. Thailands big one is education.

Edited by Yooyung
  • Like 1

The report is typical of stuff emanating from the WEF, which is a mouthpiece for the corporate sector which is increasingly taking over politics, the economy and just about every other aspect of our lives.

Their surveys should be taken with a large pinch of salt, as should every other pronouncement they make.

Education is not, as the WEF and those businessmen and women members who contributed to the survey would have us believe, all about churning out complaint little cogs for the wheels of industry.

Just look where conformance to the current model of "free market" capitalism has led us - to increasing inequality and the relentless rape of resources which are destroying the planet and its climate at an unprecedented rate.

We all need re-educating, and not courtesy of policies shaped by the current corporatocracy and its well-oiled publicity machine.

Thanks good to know everyone but you is wrong and the Thai education system is fit for purpose. You restore my faith in the benefits of treating people like mushrooms.

I'm not sure we all need re-educating but you are definitely a candidate.

Please don't believed in such polls, it's not true and fake. I born in Malaysia the education systems are bad the University place only reserved for 75-80 % Malays the rest of the races have to go overseas or private . Compare with Thailand where everybody have a opportunity to study for University with affordable price.

The survey maybe rank on English, that is undeniable but the rest Thailand are still the best.

Lots of Malay born Indians and Chinese go to Australia for University education for that very reason. And even known that they were born in Malaysia and hold Malaysian citizenship they are still discriminated against.

...and so do lots of Malay-borm Malays....why do you think looking at things in terms of race has any bearing on the matter at all???????

That is what the Malay Indians have told me many times.

I already apologized for this oversight of mine! I don't have time to read every word of this chap's novel! I It doesn't change the fact that he and you are just arrogant imperialists bent on imposing your western values on Thailand...

• Like 1

People need to chill the hell out with Thais and their spoken English. The average Thai around Bangkok speaks better English than folks in Taipei, Tokyo, and Seoul.

I think the main point is the poor quality of the curriculum and teachers. Students in develop nations seems to be learning Math and Science subjects 3-4 years ahead of their Thai counter part. I notice Thais with Bachelor Degrees who are interviewed at my company have on average math skills of a middle to high school student, average college gpa ranges from 2.5 to 3 for the most part.