Cameron, Clegg and Miliband make Scotland 'No' vote plea

webfact

Scottish independence: Cameron, Clegg and Miliband make Scotland 'No' vote plea

LONDON: -- The leaders of the main UK parties have travelled to Scotland to urge voters to reject independence in the referendum.

Prime Minister David Cameron said he would be "heartbroken" in the event of a "Yes" vote, while Labour leader Ed Miliband said the case for the Union came from the "head, heart and soul".

Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond said the leaders could not be trusted.

Meanwhile, a new opinion poll has suggested 47.6% of voters back "No", 42.4% "Yes", with 10% undecided.

The new poll, by Survation for the Daily Record, was conducted before the Westminster party leaders announced their campaign visits.

Mr Cameron and Mr Miliband abandoned their usual Prime Minister's Questions session in the House of Commons to head north, after other recent opinion polls suggested the referendum race was now neck and neck.

Although the three leaders campaigned separately, they each called on voters to keep Scotland in the United Kingdom.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29136699

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-09-11

"Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond said the leaders could not be trusted"

and he can be clap2.gif cheesy.gif

Alex - we'll just tell the Westminster government, NATO, the EU parliament and President, that we are special, a special case and they will all re-write their rules to suit us". Dream on Alex, you have been for years.

• Like 2

why are the establishment so worried about Scotland leaving the union?

or is it just about that lovely oil and gas?

Think you must read more about that. You might be surprised at the financial stuff fed Scotland's way and the impact on the rest of the union regarding oil. Not what you think. I was surprised.........

• Like 1

Alex - we'll just tell the Westminster government, NATO, the EU parliament and President, that we are special, a special case and they will all re-write their rules to suit us". Dream on Alex, you have been for years.

Given Salmond's track record the saying those in glass house etc does come to mind.

Given Salmond's track record the saying those in glass house etc does come to mind.

What has always stick's in my head is what Salmond said in public regarding our troops serving abroad doing their job. facepalm.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The 'lovely' oil and gas bit is being more than a bit overplayed. The oil was worth around 6 Billion last year. Did you know that in Scotland the big banks employ 185000 people and generate 8.2 Billion a year for Scotland - 7% of its Gross product. Where do you think those big banks are going with a Yes vote?

Salmond wants to keep the pound, I am sure he does but he will not be able to will he. It is the English, Welsh and Northern Irish that decide if Scotland keeps the pound, not Scotland, and why would they the 'UK' tax payers want to support and pay for the currency of an independent nation, it will not happen. The UK already supported failing Scottish banks and it cost the English tax payer billions. If Scottish banks were to fail again and there is a good chance they will then why will the remainder of the UK want to support the negative effects on it's own currency caused by the mismanagement of an 'independent' country? Salmond has thought this through with the rigour of a 6 year old being distracted by the Micky Mouse Club House while trying to do their homework.

Scotland will end up without a centralised bank. Most of the customers are English. Without a centralised bank there will be no deposit guarantee on funds in the bank. Who is going to put their money in a bank with no deposit guarantee when south of the border every bank will have one? Cue the exodus of most all English customers from Scottish banks.

Salmond claims he will cut corporate tax to encourage business from England to move to Scotland, a move that will piss off Westminster and the UK tax payer, the ones that Salmond wants to pay for Scotland to keep the pound. I could go on. Neither Darling or the 3 stooges have voiced the plain simple economic arguments that would have most Scots with a brain thinking 's**t', but these plain simple arguments are the truth of the matter. A yes vote will be a disaster. My only recommendation is to have a pile of money shorting the FTSE 100 on the day of the result as if the vote is yes the market will freefall. If the vote is no get your money out in nanoseconds and have your stop losses tight.

This whole thing will have a very bad effect on Scotland whatever the outcome. The country is now split and regardless of yes or no 48% of people are going to be totally pissed off and alienated. It is a national disaster. Well done the politicians, they successfully divided a patriotic country.

A real country can rule itself.

The 'lovely' oil and gas bit is being more than a bit overplayed. The oil was worth around 6 Billion last year. Did you know that in Scotland the big banks employ 185000 people and generate 8.2 Billion a year for Scotland - 7% of its Gross product. Where do you think those big banks are going with a Yes vote?

Salmond wants to keep the pound, I am sure he does but he will not be able to will he. It is the English, Welsh and Northern Irish that decide if Scotland keeps the pound, not Scotland, and why would they the 'UK' tax payers want to support and pay for the currency of an independent nation, it will not happen. The UK already supported failing Scottish banks and it cost the English tax payer billions. If Scottish banks were to fail again and there is a good chance they will then why will the remainder of the UK want to support the negative effects on it's own currency caused by the mismanagement of an 'independent' country? Salmond has thought this through with the rigour of a 6 year old being distracted by the Micky Mouse Club House while trying to do their homework.

Scotland will end up without a centralised bank. Most of the customers are English. Without a centralised bank there will be no deposit guarantee on funds in the bank. Who is going to put their money in a bank with no deposit guarantee when south of the border every bank will have one? Cue the exodus of most all English customers from Scottish banks.

Salmond claims he will cut corporate tax to encourage business from England to move to Scotland, a move that will piss off Westminster and the UK tax payer, the ones that Salmond wants to pay for Scotland to keep the pound. I could go on. Neither Darling or the 3 stooges have voiced the plain simple economic arguments that would have most Scots with a brain thinking 's**t', but these plain simple arguments are the truth of the matter. A yes vote will be a disaster. My only recommendation is to have a pile of money shorting the FTSE 100 on the day of the result as if the vote is yes the market will freefall. If the vote is no get your money out in nanoseconds and have your stop losses tight.

I'm surprised you are not posting this on Mustique Visa Forum given your obvious stock market success.

This whole thing will have a very bad effect on Scotland whatever the outcome. The country is now split and regardless of yes or no 48% of people are going to be totally pissed off and alienated. It is a national disaster. Well done the politicians, they successfully divided a patriotic country.

Yes stick with England and we'll give you bin collection once a month..a private healthcare system and charge your kids nearly 50k pounds to attend university.

Meanwhile we will aim for two trillion of debt....what's a trillion or two between friends?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Salmond wants to keep the pound, I am sure he does but he will not be able to will he. It is the English, Welsh and Northern Irish that decide if Scotland keeps the pound, not Scotland, and why would they the 'UK' tax payers want to support and pay for the currency of an independent nation, it will not happen.

It will happen , it is already been said that Scotland could keep the pound (after first declining it to win some votes).

Of that I have no doubt but that is not what I said is it?

I'm surprised you are not posting this on Mustique Visa Forum given your obvious stock market success.

Where did I tell you I have had stock market success? If I use the terms 'short', 'FTSE 100', 'free fall' and 'stop loss' does that open me up to facetious remarks from you now?

Salmond wants to keep the pound, I am sure he does but he will not be able to will he. It is the English, Welsh and Northern Irish that decide if Scotland keeps the pound, not Scotland, and why would they the 'UK' tax payers want to support and pay for the currency of an independent nation, it will not happen.

It will happen , it is already been said that Scotland could keep the pound (after first declining it to win some votes).

It is nothing to do with Scotland if they vote yes. It will be with the electorate in what remains of the UK and they will not permit Scotland to keep the pound. If Scottish banks subsequently go crash who supports them? If nobody does the pound goes crash. Why would English/Welsh/NI tax payers want to accept the risk of an 'independent country? It will not happen . Economics 101.

At the first General election in England after the split the opposition will say, 'vote for us and we stop Scotland using our pound', cue landslide victory.

Edited by GentlemanJim

Biggest blunder of the no campaign sending those idiots.

Actually it was four idiots - they sent John Prescott as well.

But the pro-No press is avoiding talking about Prescott after he suggested that Scotland vote No and we could have a combined British football team.

(Even the most rabidly Unionist Rangers fans, when you threaten to get rid of the Scottish football team, are going to think hard about whether to vote Yes.)

As for the best description I saw of all the politicians from Westminster coming out of the woodwork yesterday... - an infestation.

It is nothing to do with Scotland if they vote yes. It will be with the electorate in what remains of the UK and they will not permit Scotland to keep the pound. If Scottish banks subsequently go crash who supports them? If nobody does the pound goes crash. Why would English/Welsh/NI tax payers want to accept the risk of an 'independent country? It will not happen . Economics 101.

At the first General election in England after the split the opposition will say, 'vote for us and we stop Scotland using our pound', cue landslide victory.

Actually there are two ways that Scotland can keep the pound.

1. A currency union - which England would have to agree to.

2. Sterlingisation - which England doesn't have to agree to. (Sterlingisation has some issues around lender of last resort for financial firms, etc. but it would work as a medium term solution)

As for RBS suggesting it might move it's head office south after a Yes. It is actually a requirement of EU law... EU law states that bank's head offices must be in the country where they do the majority of their business, and while RBS may have started as a Scottish bank, after the takeover of Natwest, it does most of it's business in England. And it's just the head office for legal reasons that they're moving. No plans to move any jobs south - after all, staff in Scotland are a lot cheaper than those in London. (add in that it's 86% owned by the UK government, and it's obvious why it says things like this before the referendum, rather than waiting until afterwards).

As for why would English/Welsh/NI tax payers want to accept the risk of an independent country. Simple - the debt. Scotland would NOT be legally required to take on any of the UK debt. They're OFFERING to take on a "fair" proportion of it if they're allowed to use the currency (that, you should note obviously, is the currency that the debt is in).

Why should Scotland accept any debt in a currency they're not being permitted to share?

Edited by bkk_mike

I read today that some of the "Don't Knows" have now made up their mind and the No camp are moving ahead..

My opinion is the don't knows have been/are sitting back waiting to hear FACTS and not gobledy gook smiling salesmen with nooooo ammunition, only blanks.... whistling.gif

What currency do you think the Isle of Man uses.