Australia world's most expensive for international students

webfact

Australia world's most expensive for international students

SYDNEY - Australia is the most expensive place for an international student to attend university, ahead of Singapore and the United States, with India the cheapest, a study showed.

The research report by banking giant HSBC, which surveyed 15 countries, said an overseas student would need US$42,000 a year to meet university fees and living costs in Australia.

This was nearly US$3,000 more than Singapore, and US$36,000 greater than a student heading to India.

Despite the cost, the United States was regarded as offering the highest quality of education, followed by Britain and Germany with Australia only ranked fourth, said the study released late Wednesday.

"The key reasons to send children overseas are the acquisition of foreign languages, international experience, and independence," said HSBC’s head of wealth management Simon Williams.

"But an international education brings an extra dimension of complexity to planning, particularly financial planning.

"The majority of overseas education is privately funded by parents, and while the concept of a college fund is well established in the US, it is still the exception elsewhere."

The report, The Value of Education, said that of the nearly 5,000 parents questioned, 89 percent wanted their children to go to university and 74 percent would consider sending them abroad.

Indonesians were keenest on an overseas education (89 percent), followed by Malaysia, Turkey and Hong Kong.

More than half of those questioned said that paying for a child’s education was the best investment they could make, with many -- led by Malaysia and China --wishing they had started saving sooner.

The study said Singaporeans were the most positive about the quality of their own education system, with three quarters rating it better than anywhere else.

However, just six percent of Brazilian and nine percent of French parents believe the quality of education is better at home than abroad.

Most expensive countries for international students: Australia, Singapore, United States, Britain, Hong Kong, Canada, France, Malaysia, Indonesia, Brazil, Taiwan, Turkey, China, Mexico, India.
AFP

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Australia-worlds-most-expensive-for-international--30243029.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-11

I would say Australia is the worlds most expensive for everything not just education.

Geez I can buy Kangaroo meat in Macro cheaper than I can buy it in an Aussie Supermarket. Thailand doesn't even have kangaroo farms

Chooka just drive down the main street with your Roo Bar and get it fresh. Everyone knows roos are hopping round the main streets in Australia.

• Like 1

I would say Australia is the worlds most expensive for everything not just education.

Geez I can buy Kangaroo meat in Macro cheaper than I can buy it in an Aussie Supermarket. Thailand doesn't even have kangaroo farms

Australian lamb is also cheaper in makro . Trimmed lamb cutlets $42.00 KG in Woolworths and about $28.00 Kg in Makro. Have no idea why!!!

Most of the other countries do not legally allow their students to work 14 hours a week in any job (including as prostitues which is legal) and many more hours working that is not recorded cash in hand. Australia does.

Actually I think it's 20 hours a week (but will stand corrected if wrong) and yes, the number of foreign students working legally in Sydney's brothels is amazing. I have an old school friend who is in that business in Sydney and he says he doesn't even have to advertise. They come knocking on his door looking for work. Doesn't take too many hours for them earn a $1,000 a week and its all legal and above board , they also pay tax on their earnings.

Some body have to finance the million plus dollars houses in many affluent Australia cities,

where the houses on the peripheries of the large cities are catching up fast, and those RE

prices are still going up and up every 6 months, and with prices like this, no wonder that

there is a knock on affect on the rest of the consumer's cost of living....

Most of the other countries do not legally allow their students to work 14 hours a week in any job (including as prostitues which is legal) and many more hours working that is not recorded cash in hand. Australia does.

Actually I think it's 20 hours a week (but will stand corrected if wrong) and yes, the number of foreign students working legally in Sydney's brothels is amazing. I have an old school friend who is in that business in Sydney and he says he doesn't even have to advertise. They come knocking on his door looking for work. Doesn't take too many hours for them earn a $1,000 a week and its all legal and above board , they also pay tax on their earnings.

Says a lot about the morality of Australia. Send your daughter here to Uni and we'll help her become a whore to make ends meet.

Just like the way they lectured Thailand on morals and ethics about surrogacy whilst making it easy for peados to buy kids and take them back to Aussie.

What's going wrong down under - politicians, education. too much PC loonies?

• Like 1

Ahhh chooks back....AU might be expensive but they keep on coming, only the residents are actualy complaining about the cost of living...im thinking once they get there degree 50% or something like that are going to want to stay....thats our chance to replace them in china.

Chooka just drive down the main street with your Roo Bar and get it fresh. Everyone knows roos are hopping round the main streets in Australia.

I had a yank in my car the other day. Had decided to take him for a drive in the bush. All day long he had been giving me an earache about how everything is so much bigger in the U.S. Just then a mob of roos ran across the road in front of us. "what the hell are those" he said. " I bet you don't have grasshoppers that big in the U.S." says I.

Do we really need to know about your sex life car720smile.pngsmile.png

Says a lot about the morality of Australia. Send your daughter here to Uni and we'll help her become a whore to make ends meet.

Just like the way they lectured Thailand on morals and ethics about surrogacy whilst making it easy for peados to buy kids and take them back to Aussie.

Slightly off topic but I think it is better to have prostitution legalised and controlled. Put in your development application and meet the requirements, not near schools , no tasteless advertising signs etc and it will be approved. The girls working there are guaranteed a safe and healthy working environment and pay their taxes. If students choose to work what, in most of Australia, is a legal job that pays very good money, what is the problem? There is a vocal lobby group that supports sex workers in Australia and they have tried to get rid of the stigma and high and mighty moralising that surrounds their job.

• Like 2

My point was that Australia may be the most expensive place for an education but it provides means to finance that education there which other places do not do. EIther a fairly sparse supplement by normal work or for those who chose to even other options which would be dangerous in other countries can be used.

It is not just asian students that take that option either.

Of course a legal safe environment is better for all concerned than underground exploitation.

• Like 2

My point was that Australia may be the most expensive place for an education but it provides means to finance that education there which other places do not do. EIther a fairly sparse supplement by normal work or for those who chose to even other options which would be dangerous in other countries can be used.

Of course a legal safe environment is better for all concerned than underground exploitation.

Or, in the case of the Thai students , working 6 hours or more per night in one of the many hundreds of Thai/Australian owned Thai restaurants for $50 cash a night. When my wife first came to Australia in 1997 she was offered $40 a night to work in our local Thai restaurants which I told her to decline. In 17 years this has risen to the princely sum of $50! They arrive bright eyed and think wow.. 1500 Baht for 6 hours work , what great money till they find out what the cost of living is.No wonder they look at other alternatives.

Or, in the case of the Thai students , working 6 hours or more per night in one of the many hundreds of Thai/Australian owned Thai restaurants for $50 cash a night. When my wife first came to Australia in 1997 she was offered $40 a night to work in our local Thai restaurants which I told her to decline. In 17 years this has risen to the princely sum of $50! They arrive bright eyed and think wow.. 1500 Baht for 6 hours work , what great money till they find out what the cost of living is.No wonder they look at other alternatives.

My acceptance of the practice of course relies on the assumption there has been no co-ercion or trickery involved in inducing them to work in that profession.

• Like 1

As I said before I have an old friend that owns legal brothels in Sydney. Everything is 100% above board. Any hint of illegal practices or making someone work against their will would end up with him doibg serious pridon time.

There are illegall brothels as well and that is a completely different story. The legal owners do everything they can to get these places closed down.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My degree cost $950; thanks to Whitlam and Labour Governments.

But wow, lets send our kids to India for education as it will cost $6000US?

Abbott wants students to pay for the resource tax? Doesn't care if we don't have enough doctors in the future, as people will go on medical trips. This will also lessen the burden on medicare?

One of my colleagues is a part time TAFE teacher and the rumour sweeping the TAFE colleges is that a diploma will rise shortly to $18,000 and a Trade Certificate will be a couple thousand per year. Australia has been experiencing a decline in apprentices for years and this will do absolutely nothing to arrest that decline.

The Murdoch Government with the lovely Christopher Pyne as minister in charge of education are talking 100 grand plus for a bachelor degree soon. It is scary this short-sightedness. A student who does, for example , a Law degree will not go out into a small town earning not much more than a forklift driver , or do a couple of years doing pro bono work for the community but will need to head straight for the corporate sector to repay his debts.Perhaps they will also need postpone doing further post graduate studies, buying a house or starting a family. Never thought i would be defending lawyers but education and health are two areas this government is attacking and yet increasing spending on "defence" and repaying debts to those who financed their election.

Everybody needs to pay their fair share but this is pure greed and short-sightedness.

My acceptance of the practice of course relies on the assumption there has been no co-ercion or trickery involved in inducing them to work in that profession.

I know of a Thai girl who got caught up in a raid on restaurants in Melbourne. She wasn't paying taxes, the business wasn't paying taxes, superannuation or work cover. She had her visa cancelled and the business prosecuted

**************************************************************************************

All of the above

Edited by sangfroid