Topic for discounted imported food items: good idea or too much cheap charlie?

robertmueller

Rimping: Wishbone salad sauces 2 for 1 in all sizes. Seen them at Promenada and Meechok branches. Italian, Thousand Island and not sure what others. We picked up both. Not a bad American brand.

I've been surprised a few times to find out that the sign actually meant buy 2 and get one free. Just beware for those who don't read Thai.

This was definitely 2 for the price of 1. We bought both Italian and Thousand Island. Plenty more in stock in both large and small sizes. Exp. dates of 11/2014 and 12/2014.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not use the Superhighway Makro, The Songtaw from Town to BoSang to Doi Saket goes right by it.

Butcher's department. Also seems to be a bigger selection of frozen lamb.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll make a note of it for if I want to go to Makro for anything other than beef or lamb. Superhighway Makro is one of the places that is - or now was - one of the few places I couldn't get to independently.

Global House is another one and I will be needing to go soon, never been before - do I have to don trousers and jump on the back of the bike or is there a yellow route? I'll walk there, no problem at all, it's good for me, and I'll walk back if I don't buy anything but it's the heavy things that I need transportation for,.

Why not use the Superhighway Makro, The Songtaw from Town to BoSang to Doi Saket goes right by it.

Butcher's department. Also seems to be a bigger selection of frozen lamb.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll make a note of it for if I want to go to Makro for anything other than beef or lamb. Superhighway Makro is one of the places that is - or now was - one of the few places I couldn't get to independently.

Global House is another one and I will be needing to go soon, never been before - do I have to don trousers and jump on the back of the bike or is there a yellow route? I'll walk there, no problem at all, it's good for me, and I'll walk back if I don't buy anything but it's the heavy things that I need transportation for,.

Don't think there is a songtaew that goes to Global House but you could take the C.M.-Lamphun Road songtaew (light blue I think) and get off at the overpass of the road going to Global House and walk along the sidewalk to Global House. It would be about a 15 minute walk. I've done it a couple of times although probably not in this heat spell!

Makro used to carry 'Emborg' brand frozen filets of pollok and the best was hoki [from the deep clean waters off New Zeland at a price less than 300thb/kilo. They stopped stocking it this year and wondering if anyone knows of another source of it??

In Makro HangDong we ordered (with the lady in the office of the Seafood Department) the currently missing Emborg pollok fillets. She said that they are not available in the market right now but she will order them.

May be you could also follow up with her then she will not forget it.

She recommended the frozen lined silver grunt fillets (Big size) from their Aro brand. They are as good for the Tom Yam Talay and the fish & chips as the pollock.

But for the fish in butter only I prefer the pollock.

I'm glad I spotted this. I'd seen people discussion pollock and hoki and every single time I go to Makro I walk around and around and around the freezers and thought I was just not seeing it. I've been meaning to ask the question here for ages, just keep forgetting about it.

I already have a very soft spot for this thread.

I agree, people here talking Pollocks is a welcome change. I may be mistaken, but when I bought this fish at Makro, although the taste was good and the texture was more like you'd expect for Fish n Chips, they were not quite the right size, more like a toothpaste tube shape than a nice fat, flat fillet, or maybe that was the halibut?

Yeah, good value and taste from the cold deep water fish. flash frozen it comes out cheaper than the local mud fish and you know that it comes from deep cold clean water rather than a slimy klong and has no waste heads, tails and guts..

Unfortunately I think makro buys near 'sell buy' deals and you're lucky to see it once and then never again. The hoki was my favorite as it is the same fish that Mc Donalds uses on their fish burger and if prepared differently it is a great fish.

I will request as I hope others do..................

Rimping: Wishbone salad sauces 2 for 1 in all sizes. Seen them at Promenada and Meechok branches. Italian, Thousand Island and not sure what others. We picked up both. Not a bad American brand.

I've been surprised a few times to find out that the sign actually meant buy 2 and get one free. Just beware for those who don't read Thai.

This has often been an issue for me at Tesco, I need to memorise the Thai script for both the Buy 1 Free 1 and Buy 2 Free 1.

And at least you go to Makro. I've given up asking for a ride, I get the yellow songtoews (one from here to bus station number 2, get off, say Hang Dong and I'm there within an hour at most) or I walk - yes, Rimping Condo to Makro Hang Dong Road. I'm naturally an early riser, set off around 6am before it gets hot and usually get there around 9 - 9.30, 10 if I'm dawdling. It's easier than seeing that look of horror when he realises he's going to have to go inside a shop. For clothes, I go to a mall, pick out what I think is right and the next time we're there we can walk straight to the rack, he either says yes or no - I think he only ever said no once -and he's in and out in of the changing room so quickly you'd think there was a bad smell. Same with shoes, I do the leg work, he tries them on at a later date and he leaves with indecent haste. If we're going to Tesco, Tops, Big C or Homepro, he goes to the foodcourt for a feed, but as soon as he's done he's by my side saying 'Can we go home now?'. Really is easier to go myself now that I have the yellow songtoews worked out, I always walk to Central Festival and get the shuttle bus back (Route 3 for anyone interested). He suffers with his nose when in air conditioning, but that's not the reason he won't go. As you said with most men, it's nothing more than a chore (I happen to agree with that, never been one for going to shops of any kind unless there's a reason to) and he's fortunate enough for it to be a chore I don't insist on sharing. He really, really hates shopping.

I find that the superhighway makro offers a lot more limited selection of western stuff than either the Hang Dong Makro or the Mae Rim Makro.

And at least you go to Makro. I've given up asking for a ride, I get the yellow songtoews (one from here to bus station number 2, get off, say Hang Dong and I'm there within an hour at most) or I walk - yes, Rimping Condo to Makro Hang Dong Road. I'm naturally an early riser, set off around 6am before it gets hot and usually get there around 9 - 9.30, 10 if I'm dawdling. It's easier than seeing that look of horror when he realises he's going to have to go inside a shop. For clothes, I go to a mall, pick out what I think is right and the next time we're there we can walk straight to the rack, he either says yes or no - I think he only ever said no once -and he's in and out in of the changing room so quickly you'd think there was a bad smell. Same with shoes, I do the leg work, he tries them on at a later date and he leaves with indecent haste. If we're going to Tesco, Tops, Big C or Homepro, he goes to the foodcourt for a feed, but as soon as he's done he's by my side saying 'Can we go home now?'. Really is easier to go myself now that I have the yellow songtoews worked out, I always walk to Central Festival and get the shuttle bus back (Route 3 for anyone interested). He suffers with his nose when in air conditioning, but that's not the reason he won't go. As you said with most men, it's nothing more than a chore (I happen to agree with that, never been one for going to shops of any kind unless there's a reason to) and he's fortunate enough for it to be a chore I don't insist on sharing. He really, really hates shopping.

I find that the superhighway makro offers a lot more limited selection of western stuff than either the Hang Dong Makro or the Mae Rim Makro.

Hang Dong Makro is the best, hands down.

Had to go to Ram this morning so picked up a few things from TOPS in KSK.

Few packs of Maltesers 35 baht get one free, few Twix 35 baht get one free and there were three tins of Flahaven's Irish Coarse Cut Oatmeal, usually 465 baht on sale for 46 baht, expiry date 30/4/2015. I have absolutely no idea what it's like, but seemed such a ridiculous discount I took two tins. This is next to the McGarrett Oats which I usually buy. If you're already picking up some shopping in one of these places, doesn't hurt to look around as there are often some good bargains.

Few packs of Maltesers 35 baht get one free, few Twix 35 baht get one free and there were three tins of Flahaven's Irish Coarse Cut Oatmeal, usually 465 baht on sale for 46 baht, expiry date 30/4/2015. I have absolutely no idea what it's like, but seemed such a ridiculous discount I took two tins. This is next to the McGarrett Oats which I usually buy. If you're already picking up some shopping in one of these places, doesn't hurt to look around as there are often some good bargains.

That's the good stuff. What Americans call steel-cut oats.

Thank you - I haven't had Maltesers since I was at school 648 years ago. We have to go out on the bike this evening, and I might just buy some. They are fantastic in vanilla ice cream. licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

Thank you - I haven't had Maltesers since I was at school 648 years ago. We have to go out on the bike this evening, and I might just buy some. They are fantastic in vanilla ice cream. licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

Yup, takes me back to that exact same period in time. biggrin.png

220px-Maltesers-Wrapper-Small.jpg

Not a bag, a box. And only at Christmas, along with the tin of Quality Street which always had those two last old penny sized toffee's in rattling around because nobody wanted them. I'm guessing Maltesers must have been expensive because they only ever appeared in our house for Christmas as a treat.

Not a bag, a box. And only at Christmas, along with the tin of Quality Street which always had those two last old penny sized toffee's in rattling around because nobody wanted them. I'm guessing Maltesers must have been expensive because they only ever appeared in our house for Christmas as a treat.

How could we resist Quality Street?

mackintosh-s-sweets-chocolate-uk-1950.jp

We are movie buffs and love going to the cinema. Finally, after years of trying, Mrs T and I have reached the age where we are eligible to apply for a senior card at SF Cinema. It costs 50 baht. Now on weekdays for shows before noon it'll cost us only 60 baht a seat. After noon, 70, weekends, 100.

Good find, got my first ever Senior discount card today, Cinema for me now only 70bht.

Purchased from the girl sitting at the computer desk away from the ticket counter, used Thai DL as ID.

There are very few Maltesers in a bag,same with size of Mars bars,

Langkawi, Malaysia,has shops only selling sweets,big bars Cadburys,

Bounty bars,lots of other sweets, here the selection is very poor

regards worgeordie

Yup, I agree but don't think I'll ever be in Langkawi again. biggrin.png

As a recovering chocoholic (you never fully kick the habit) I'd appreciate it a great deal if this topic were to move onto other things. Maltesers and even the talk of such products has long been forbidden in my household, so I hope you'll understand.

I loved chocolate all my life, but in Thailand, it just doesn't taste right.

Is it the heat altering my sense of taste, or is it something they put in Thai product to stop it melting?

It was the same when we first left England (lived in NZ for 18 months before going to Australia). They put some special ingredient in the chocolate so it doesn't melt so easily when it's sitting on the shelf in mum and dad shops (all imported from Aus there). I couldn't eat Mars Bars for years, just couldn't get used to the difference. Don't know if it was the taste or the texture, but it was definitely different. The white chocolate though, which has always been my own little weak spot, was so much better; that was a taste I certainly could (and did) get used to very quickly. I still love to get a Mars Bar when we go back to England though, just because it tastes the same way they did when I was growing up.

I presume that they have to put the same anti-melting ingredient into it here (if indeed they are making them here, if imported they would come from Australia I imagine as it's closest).

In case some of you people don't know how serious chocaholism is, look at this. The guy has lost his job because some idiot left chocolate lying around for anyone to see!! I think it was a Twix, what did he expect? The guy obviously needs treatment and sacking him certainly won't help the situation. I hope he gets the help and support he so obviously needs. Being a chocoholic is a disease, not a sign of weakness.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/estate-agent-who-stole-chocolate-4269333?

re

I loved chocolate all my life, but in Thailand, it just doesn't taste right.

Is it the heat altering my sense of taste, or is it something they put in Thai product to stop it melting?

i dont care what they put in it :)

i get my sweet fix with the big 19 baht snickers bars from rimping and the 10 baht alfie , milo and jack and jill bags of sweets from 7 eleven that taste exactly like a crunchie bar used to but they look like maltesers !

dave2 .... luckily not a diabetic :)

post-42592-0-99685200-1410914844_thumb.j

Big C

Large packs of Babylove Daypants down from 419 to 349. Also, get yourself up to 800B (I only went in for pampers, got two packs and a bag of coffee) and get an 80B voucher with you Big Card (usual promotion, max 2 vouchers per card per day).

Currently at Rimping (at least the one at jj-market), 2for1, Swiss Frey 78% coco chocolate. Expires in two months though.

They'll take no room in the freezer, which will extend the expiry date by a long time.

I've given up though, no air conditioning in kitchen area means making my own chocolates just doesn't work. Not meant to be. Ditto anything that requires pastry being made. sad.png