Topic for discounted imported food items: good idea or too much cheap charlie?

robertmueller

The best thing to come out if this topic is that it disproves the argument that this forum is just for old guys, moaning and complaining. Even a cursory glance at some of the replies clearly shows that the majority of posters here are old women masquerading as old men by simply adopting a masculine name and avatar. Present company excluded, of course.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing to come out if this topic is that it disproves the argument that this forum is just for old guys, moaning and complaining. Even a cursory glance at some of the replies clearly shows that the majority of posters here are old women masquerading as old men by simply adopting a masculine name and avatar. Present company excluded, of course.

Talking of avatars, I do like yours of Robb Wilton but do you actually remember him and are you from Liverpool too?

Talking of avatars, I do like yours of Robb Wilton but do you actually remember him and are you from Liverpool too?

I don't remember him but I did discover him a few years ago, and got to like his dry, subtle humour despite the fact that Wikipedia says he was from Everton!

What non-perishable western foods would one stock up on that could bring over on a trip to UK ? Of the top of my head, I can think of Oxo cubes which are extortionate in Rimping. Trying to build a list .. any other suggestions ?

Not sure if Branston pickle counts as non-perishable (messy if it breaks!!) but v. expensive here. Pappadums are very hard to find.

Health supplements much cheaper in UK and are easy to transport. Marmite.

Be interested to see what others suggest....

What non-perishable western foods would one stock up on that could bring over on a trip to UK ? Of the top of my head, I can think of Oxo cubes which are extortionate in Rimping. Trying to build a list .. any other suggestions ?

The Golden Fry 400 gram gravy granules from a Pound Shop were a good buy.

Bisto is 150 baht in Rimping for 250 gram (about 3 pounds)

They always have chocolate specials, only a pound. wink.png

I brought back huge Toblerone and Bounty 4 packs from there.

Worth checking out, you might see something you didn't think of.

Try and keep to lightweight items like Oxo, gravy granules etc, you can bring a lot.

Health supplements for sure if you use them, look at Club Vit on eBay.

Fray Bentos steak and kidney puddings from the pound shop - I really stocked up on those. Also found lamb gravy granules for the first time in years, and fake white and red wine, non alcoholic, just adds the taste. Not quite the same, but you can tell the difference in the finished dish, it just adds a bit of richness or depth or something.. I was never able to find that in Australia which was a great shame. I'm not a drinker really, very occasionally, so it always seemed to be a waste when using wine in cooking, I'd have to organise so that I was doing several things that required red or white wine in batch cooking for the freezer, otherwise it would be thrown away. Then I discovered that not all Chateau Cardboards are terrible - some of the smaller boxes, 2 litres, were actually quite decent wines, and priced accordingly - you could even get it down to the different varieties. Now I'm back to the bottles of fake wine because I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices here. Branston (him) and Piccalilli (me) always make the journey back with us, and some tins of Pek for my favourite sandwiches (apart from fish fingers) - I used to take tins of Pek back to Australia as you couldn't get it there. And Atora if you use prepared suet, fresh from the market is better if you can get them to understand what you want, but Atora is easier.

I was going to mention vitamins etc, but Uptheos beat me to it. Also, things like Lemsip which I don't think you can get here, and the spray for sore throats. Not cocodamol though, they've made that illegal. And bath foam - I tried everywhere in Thailand and Malaysia for Radox or something similar, they just don't sell it here.

Fray Bentos steak and kidney puddings from the pound shop - I really stocked up on those. Also found lamb gravy granules for the first time in years, and fake white and red wine, non alcoholic, just adds the taste. Not quite the same, but you can tell the difference in the finished dish, it just adds a bit of richness or depth or something.. I was never able to find that in Australia which was a great shame. I'm not a drinker really, very occasionally, so it always seemed to be a waste when using wine in cooking, I'd have to organise so that I was doing several things that required red or white wine in batch cooking for the freezer, otherwise it would be thrown away. Then I discovered that not all Chateau Cardboards are terrible - some of the smaller boxes, 2 litres, were actually quite decent wines, and priced accordingly - you could even get it down to the different varieties. Now I'm back to the bottles of fake wine because I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices here. Branston (him) and Piccalilli (me) always make the journey back with us, and some tins of Pek for my favourite sandwiches (apart from fish fingers) - I used to take tins of Pek back to Australia as you couldn't get it there. And Atora if you use prepared suet, fresh from the market is better if you can get them to understand what you want, but Atora is easier.

I was going to mention vitamins etc, but Uptheos beat me to it. Also, things like Lemsip which I don't think you can get here, and the spray for sore throats. Not cocodamol though, they've made that illegal. And bath foam - I tried everywhere in Thailand and Malaysia for Radox or something similar, they just don't sell it here.

You can get Solpadeine OTC, it's 500/8 and about 5-95 for 32 effervescent tabs.

Of course, it's totally illegal bringing it into Thailand though.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. i just remembered the price of Neurofen in Thailand is a shocker. So that will be added to the list. Or is there a local brand with the same active ingredients ?

What about various sauce mixes. They are crazy expensive in Thailand although herbs & spices are so cheap its easier to make your own ... except for fresh cream. Need to find a good alternative.

Tops at Central KSK: Hero Jam various flavours; promo buy 1, get 1 free

I popped into Tops at KSK yesterday (24th), it must have been a short special as I scoured the store but no luck just the usual 126 per jar. Sometimes you gotta be quick

Granulated coffee, especially if you put it in a sealed plastic-container, or buy refill-packs in plastic-bags.

Cheese also gives me a good saving per-kg-carried !

Pot-Noodles, for a friend who misses this bland non-spicy instant-noodle qwik-meal.

I buy catering soup-packs from Bookers', to use as a soup/sauce/stew/curry-base, in my slow-cooker. (just add meat/veggies/herbs)

Favourite brands of breakfast cereal, if not findable here, can give a high reward/weight ratio.

Tops at Central KSK: Hero Jam various flavours; promo buy 1, get 1 free

I popped into Tops at KSK yesterday (24th), it must have been a short special as I scoured the store but no luck just the usual 126 per jar. Sometimes you gotta be quick

CMKiwi: This Hero promo is still going on but the staff did not place the stickers "Buy 1, Get 1" on all the Hero shelves. In KSK they only had 1 promo sticker on the top shelve, not on the Hero shelve level.

Tip: if the staff don't know, take the jam to the cashier station. Over there is the correct pricing.

My wife forgot the potatoes yesterday so I had to buy some in Central Airport and I took the opportunity to buy some more Hero jams. Please find attached a copy of the cash receipt with the promo price for the Hero jam.

Good luck!

post-41537-0-67192800-1414243308_thumb.j

I have no idea as I havent managed to get some yet. It isnt cheap at full price of 129 per jar but if you can get 2 for the price of one then it seems not so much of a risk. I expect it to be better than say Best Food brand, which like a lot of others has a load of sugar added.

Maybe some one else can comment on the stuff

Hmmm went to KSK and airport plaza today..... no special at KSK and no jam at Airport Plaza. You gotta be quick!

What is special about Hero jam?

It is way better than Smuckers wink.png

We do not use a lot of jam but sometimes like Blueberry Jam on toast with coffee in the morning

It is more like a homemade jam...thicker & tastes like the fruit. Not just a sugary jelly

We usually buy it at Big C & think we pay like 130 for it?

Edited by mania

Hmmm went to KSK and airport plaza today..... no special at KSK and no jam at Airport Plaza. You gotta be quick!

What is special about Hero jam?

It is way better than Smuckers wink.png

We do not use a lot of jam but sometimes like Blueberry Jam on toast with coffee in the morning

It is more like a homemade jam...thicker & tastes like the fruit. Not just a sugary jelly

We usually buy it at Big C & think we pay like 130 for it?

Are there any really good sugar free jams?

Are there any really good sugar free jams?

I am sure there are Jams with just honey etc.

Can't say I have ever tried one though

Also I have seen sugar free jams from Smuckers here

But I think they use things like Splenda to substitute for sugar

Yes generally there is some other nasty crap added to make it sweeter. Most if not all sugar free jams that I've tried are horrible. It's a bit like the butter vs margarine debate. I prefer butter and sugar but in moderation.

Smuckers Sugar Free Strawberry Preserves with Splenda Brand Sweetener is really good, but there is some sugar from the fruit itself.

https://www.smuckers.com/products/fruit-spreads/sugar-free/sugar-free-strawberry-preserves-with-splenda-431

Splenda is actually a good tasting sugar substitute but when I tried it years ago I found out I was allergic to such things.

Not in such a bad way but it causes my tongue to have like red bumps or what I guess is mouth ulcers?

Took me awhile to figure out what was the cause.

Later I read about other folks having this symptom & it pointed to Splenda

or any sugar substitute that uses Chlorine

So like CMKiwi I use sugar but try not to go nuts with it smile.png

It is interesting that Splenda/Sucralose is basically Sugar but altered

Sucrose to Sucralose

Splenda begins as ordinary table sugar, chemically called sucrose. Sucrose itself is a combination of two simple sugars,

glucose and fructose, and is comprised of 12 carbon atoms, 22 hydrogen atoms and 11 oxygen atoms.

The problem is that regular sucrose is high-calorie and affects the blood sugar dramatically,

so Splenda manufacturers add three chlorine atoms to change the structure of the sucrose molecule to make it react differently within the body.

The new molecule has 12 carbon atoms, 19 hydrogen atoms, 3 chlorine atoms and 8 oxygen atoms, and is now called sucralose, or Splenda.

In the process of replacing three H-O groups on the molecule, the chlorine changes the substance into one that is calorie-free and not recognized as a carbohydrate by the body.

Edited by mania

Yes generally there is some other nasty crap added to make it sweeter. Most if not all sugar free jams that I've tried are horrible. It's a bit like the butter vs margarine debate. I prefer butter and sugar but in moderation.

This one (many different flavours) tastes fine IMO. Not sure if it's available here however. Think I've seen glasses that look like it when walking through the isles at Rimping, but have not paid enough attention to say for sure if it's this or not.

post-42228-0-26598300-1414340135_thumb.j

I make my own jam, but its only good with at least 30% sugar with strawberry jam and 40% with raspberry jam.

Frozen fruit from Makro at about 60B/kg makes good jam, works out very cheap.

Yes I make my own jam too, with fruit from Makro,use 2 kg sugar to 2 kg fruit,

Blackberry,Raspberry,Strawberry,(Apricot, but have never had this year) its

the Lemons that bump the cost up,although you can sometimes find cheap

Thai grown ones in the market.

Last week also made some chutneys,Date and Banana,Peach Chutney and

Mango,the 2 former chutneys make decent substitute for the expensive H.P.

sauce.

regards Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie