Renewing my 1 year licence for a 5 year today in Rayong

pitchag

Thought this might of interest to some people, Renewed my driving licence (car) today at the RAYONG office, arrived 8.30am out by 12. 15 pm, I had to have proof of residency ( yellow book ok ) passport with in date visa, medical letter from Doctor and old licence and copies of everything, stood in line to do colour blind test and then told to come back in 1 hour, Came back and paid fees had photo taken and issued with new five year licence, did not have to do the reaction tests, driving computer exam or sit through the lecture. All up cost 655 Baht I was the only falang in the whole place maybe this made a difference

• Like 1

I renewed my 5 year car licence a few days ago in Pattaya (Banglamung).

I took my yellow book along, but was told I needed my wife's blue book as well (had to phone for a M/C taxi to bring it to me from Bang Saray).

I produced my medical certificate, but was told it was not needed.

Took the colour blindness test, depth perception test, and reaction test then instructed to watch a 20 minute video comprising mostly You Tube clips of traffic collisions.

Waited for about an hour to be called in to pay my 605 Baht fee, then got my photo taken and licence issued.

Different to your experience in almost every detail - but TiT.

(BTW - I'm not complaining. I had written off a whole day to get the job done and it actually took only about 4 hours - including the 40 minute wait for my wife's blue book to be brought to me).

• Like 1

Got my 5 year driving license. Wearing pretty strong corrective lenses, taking the peripheral vision test can be a major challenge - after all, corrective lenses don't extend to the visual periphery!

Remembering how difficult it was to pass this examination last year for my temporary 1 year license, I went there with a certificate from a hospital eye doctor and the visual field test results from an eye hospital in TH, certifying that both my visual field was normal and the corrected vision 20/20 as well (normal)).

Predictably, I failed the peripheral vision test and was ready to admit defeat..... when another kind and very patient employee gave me a second change and finally was able to pass me!

Got my 5 year driving license. Wearing pretty strong corrective lenses, taking the peripheral vision test can be a major challenge - after all, corrective lenses don't extend to the visual periphery!

Remembering how difficult it was to pass this examination last year for my temporary 1 year license, I went there with a certificate from a hospital eye doctor and the visual field test results from an eye hospital in TH, certifying that both my visual field was normal and the corrected vision 20/20 as well (normal)).

Predictably, I failed the peripheral vision test and was ready to admit defeat..... when another kind and very patient employee gave me a second change and finally was able to pass me!

I'm going to have a similar problem when I have to renew my 5 year licence. I'm colour blind and had a little help passing it last time, but now they don't allow anyone else inside the booth where they do the test in Pattaya. Unforunately there's no way to fake a colour test, you either recognise the colours or you don't. In my case I have difficulty with the red and greens, but not on traffic lights, only on the colour chart.

I received my 5 yr. license in Bangkok at the DLT near Chatuchak a few months ago. I was there early, needed a residence certificate, passport copies, medical certificate and I did have to take the reaction tests. I was out of there with the license in about an hour, couldn't have been happier with the service and efficiency of the employees.

Got my 5-year renewal on a 5-year license today in Phuket. Needed Certificate of Residency (no medical certificate required at Immigration this time), the standard copies of passport pages, and the Land Transport Office didn't want the medical certificate either. Had to watch a 1 hour video of a bunch of the laws from B.E. 2522 and 2535, and was out the door with the new license in about 2.5 hours and 665 baht poorer. My question is why did I even get the medical certificate? Rules change every time. VERY IMPORTANT: IN PHUKET YOU HAVE TO ARRIVE AT 8 A.M. OR COME THE NEXT DAY. At least this time it was only 2 trips to the other end of the island rather than the 4 or 5 from the first and second licenses LOL!

Edited by CindyB

I tried to update mine to 5 years last year. Was told because I don't have a work permit,it was only 1 year. Did you guys who used the yellow book also have a work permit?

You need an 'O' Visa, extension of stay if you have no work permit, if you are on a 30 day stamp in from the Airport or a Tourist Visa, it's only for one Year.

• Like 1

I tried to update mine to 5 years last year. Was told because I don't have a work permit,it was only 1 year. Did you guys who used the yellow book also have a work permit?

You need an 'O' Visa, extension of stay if you have no work permit, if you are on a 30 day stamp in from the Airport or a Tourist Visa, it's only for one Year.

Yeah, I have an 'o' and have had one for 3 years. No surprise. No consistency in these things.

Reading this so decided to check my licence......issue date 5March 2001, expiry date 11June 2018.

Presume that the issue date was when I got my first 5 year licence,

Have had this actual licence since I arrived back here in 2007..........so that is an 11 year issue??????

BAYBOY

Got my 5 yr license no eye test no movie to watch in and out in 35 mins in Chuang Mai

Same here. The only thing we didn't have was 2 copies of everything, one for the car license and one for the bike. So that added 15 mins or so to the wait.

If you are tall, I suggest you practice making yourself 6 inches shorter when seated without looking like Quasimodo. Their cameras are set up for midgets.

And how long before the 1 year expires can I apply?

I don't know if it still stands, but you can't apply for 5yr license until 1yr license had expired. tit

jb1

Not true - I applied a few days before expiry and they said the old ones are valid until their expiry date and then the new ones from then on.

I did hear 2 weeks either side, but I did see those who waited until theirs had expired having to do the colour-blind and reaction tests again. They may well have had to go through the pain of watching a video about why Thais shouldn't be allowed motorised vehicles too.

Slightly off topic but when my wife went for her license she showed her govt. I.D. and was handed her license valid for life. No tests required. Incredibly she became a good driver with no accidents to date unlike some others I have noticed.

Slightly off topic but when my wife went for her license she showed her govt. I.D. and was handed her license valid for life. No tests required. Incredibly she became a good driver with no accidents to date unlike some others I have noticed.

Valid for life? I thought 5 years was the maximum.

Valid for life? I thought 5 years was the maximum.

The life long DL where issued until a few years ago ( i don't know exactly when ) so if your wife had already a live long DL and she lose it she will get another one.

For current drivers the first DL will be a 1 year temporary DL and after this a 5 year DL will be issued.

(Non-O extension is required for this otherwise a new 1 year DL will be issued )