Some observations today when I extended my 30 day visa exempt

Went to Mo Chit and took at taxi to immigration. I had the address written down in Thai and the journey took about 20 minutes by taxi. The taxi driver drove like a race car driver on the highway (60 baht for the toll). As we approached the immigration he talked to us in English about his idols who seemed to all be racing car drivers!

Got to immigration with passport, copies of departure card, air ticket, 4cm by 6cm pics and our hotel booking information at 2pm. Filled out the forms and waited! Waited for almost 2 hours. Progress was very slow until 4pm approached and it seemed like the immigration people were trying to get as many people processed as possible so they could go home soon. It went from one number being called every 15 minutes to one ever 2-3 minutes.

Showed the forms and other things to the immigration. They asked us to sign the photocopies and took our money. 30 minutes later we got the change and the passports.

Left immigration and there were no taxis in site. We asked another couple and they had been waiting a very long time and were still waiting. Started to walk. I guess it's a 30 minute walk from immigration to the road. The complex there is huge. The largest government complex I have every seen. Luckily we got a taxi by chance.

That's it.

I am wondering. Does anyone else have similar experiences? What's the best time / day to visit immigration in BKK ?

Best is to go early morning, and another tip is to take a motorcycle taxi to go to the main road is you don't want to wait the taxis inside (just tell them pai thanon yai). Still, if you get out of there at 5 or 6 pm you are screwed, because there is crazy traffic jam and very very difficult to hail a taxi. I had similar experience when went there around 11 to do a non-B extension and finished around 5:30 pm.