500 baht breakage charge in Restaurant.....

richard_smith237

Is being charged for minor breakage in a restaurant acceptable ?  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I really don't understand why some people stay in Thailand when all they do is complain about the "Thai way" and think everyone is out to cheat the rich farang.

There are many examples of pretty sharp business practice, also known as inflating prices. There are plenty of them trying to cheat people out of money by ramping prices etc,best to be aware then keep your head buried in the sand and get shafted.

• Like 2

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think about it, we are all already paying for use and wear and year of the items in a restaurant via their overhead. Breaking an item is just included in all that.

It's obvious what is happening in these situations. Businesses here see this stuff as a quick score to be taken advantage of. They do it when you check out of a room long term here too. The key there is they have your money already and you are helpless. Here you aren't helpless. Just don't pay or pay a portion a fair amount.

I really don't understand why some people stay in Thailand when all they do is complain about the "Thai way" and think everyone is out to cheat the rich farang.

Seems a silly statement to make. I am sure the OP does not complain about the 'Thai Way', he was simple raising a topic to get the feedback and do a poll on peoples thoughts and attitudes to this type of situation.

• Like 1

I think its fair enough to name the place... I was a return customer for a number of years for a very good reason.

The food is simply excellent, in my Opinion its the best Japanese restaurant in Bangkok...

Thus: This thread will have become somewhat of an advertisement for Honmono (Thonglor 23)... there are also other branches now.

I will now have to find another Japanese restaurant of equal standard / price.... If anyone has recommendations please feel free to list them.

Seems a silly statement to make. I am sure the OP does not complain about the 'Thai Way', he was simple raising a topic to get the feedback and do a poll on peoples thoughts and attitudes to this type of situation.

Indeed, I have ignored a number of these comments which add a negative or argumentative element and offer nothing of value to the topic.

This issue is limited to the way a restaurant treats its customers, I'm confident a Thai family would have received the same treatment although they may have handled the situation with a greater level of acceptance and tolerance.

IMO this simply isn't a Thai / Western issue, there is no point in going down that road.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

AliasJohn, where is your restaurant? Then i will make sure i never come there.

Kasa is a good japanese restaurant in BKK. Also has separate rooms.

I was in Fuji yesterday and running/fighting kids everywhere, under the table a puddle of soja sauce that they forgot to clean, green stuff on the soja sauce bottle, nobody spoke english but hey THis is Th.....you guessed it allready. Food was very good though and a long qeueu at the door.

Normally we go to Kasa, no running kids there.

They have the right to charge you - and you have the right to see that as a reason to never again patronize that restaurant.

The only reason for a restaurant to not apply "you broke it, you bought it" to such situations is to preserve good will, in hopes of making the loss up from the profitability of your future visits.

• Like 2

They only thing I encountered here was 30 Baht for a broken glass in Chiang Mai. I had to pay for a "stained" bath towel from a Hotel at Angeles City, RP(smiley:)).

This practice is unheard of in US, mostly. There is a popular chain of restos famous for Yards of Ale. A credit card deposit is taken and "you break you pay". The policy is clearly indicated on the menu.

Edited by arunsakda