Pay up or face legal action, Thai customs chief says as 400 cars go missing

webfact

Pay up or face legal action, customs chief says as 400 cars go missing
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Customs Department chief Somchai Sujjapongse yesterday urged the owners of some 400 cars taken from bonded warehouses to pay tax on the vehicles or face legal action.

Somchai said a department probe found that the vehicles were among the 500 or so luxurious cars that had been taken out of the warehouses and put on public display but not returned.

The motive for not returning the vehicles was tax evasion, he said.

Customs, the police and the Army are trying to track down the car owners and were investigating possible corruption in relation to the matter, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Pay-up-or-face-legal-action-customs-chief-says-as--30243101.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-12

• Like 1

Please K. Somchai how dis they get the vehicles out of the secure warehouses in the first place ?

Oh my brain hurts.

"I'm just popping-out with it, to the local discoount wash/wax/dry service down the road, no need to make a record of this conversation" ? rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Please K. Somchai how dis they get the vehicles out of the secure warehouses in the first place ?

Oh my brain hurts.

"I'm just popping-out with it, to the local discoount wash/wax/dry service down the road, no need to make a record of this conversation" ? rolleyes.gif

Capt. Lawrence Oates of the Customs Dept., " I am just going out, I may be some time ".

PS. So may the cars.

• Like 1

I think the 400 cars disappears during Yingluck watch. Please investigate the shin's garages.

If you read the original article it said the vehicles went missing eight weeks ago.

If you read the original article it said it was discovered eight weeks ago.

• Like 1

................................. investigating "possible corruption"

500 luxurious cars are missing, in my world that is called "certain corruption"

and they all had fuel in them aswell.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

All cars are delivered from the factories or warehouses with a small amount of fuel, if they weren't then how would they be moved around as they have to be? cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

Somchai said a department probe found that the vehicles were among the 500 or so luxurious cars that had been taken out of the warehouses and put on public display but not returned.

It is imperative to realize in this case that the fundamental rights of the cars to be displayed publicly have not been violated. Thank you wai.gif

Edited by klauskunkel

I hope they succeed. It seems unfair that ordinary people have to pay the import duties (for normal cars like Honda, Volkswagen, etc.) not made in Thailand but the super wealthy who are buying Lambos, Ferraris, Bentleys etc. get out of it. That is alot of tax money that should be going to the Thai government.

Even worse. They don't pay import duties but get the license plate through connections and sell it as if all duties have been paid. So they can drive the Ferrari for 3 years and sell it for a higher price than what they bought it for.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Oh my brain hurts.

Somchai: It's just biz sin ness. More money. I let car go, they gib me money. Then I catch them, I get money again. cheesy.gif

................................. investigating "possible corruption"

500 luxurious cars are missing, in my world that is called "certain corruption"

and they all had fuel in them aswell.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

All cars are delivered from the factories or warehouses with a small amount of fuel, if they weren't then how would they be moved around as they have to be? cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

so they can be moved around uh,well as its a customs bonded warehouse all vehicles are suposed to be secured till the import duty was paid.and can you explain what happened to the bond? the report say's they were taken for display,so was that at a show?if so 500 different models.this could only happen here.

Imagine a warehouse full of impounded vehicles, let's say 400, and someone steals one from the back row so it isn't noticed.

Thainess - steal 399 and leave 1 so no one notices.

do they [customs] think this could be an inside job.whistling.gif