Prayuth must walk the talk to vindicate public faith

webfact

BURNING ISSUES
Prayuth must walk the talk to vindicate public faith

Samudcha Hoonsara
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister General Prayuth Cha-ocha has ushered a new phenomenon in Thai politics, with his work motto - "Do it before anyone else, put your heart into it, do it promptly with swift but sustainable results."

The PM is set to make his policy address to Parliament today before his administration officially kicks off.

Prayuth deserves credit for setting the tone for politicians with such a motto. Hardly any of the previous prime ministers had started their work by delivering such a message to officials under their supervision.

This motto is deemed an order that every unit under Prayuth must comply with.

The people are watching how the PM is going to explain to National Legislative Assembly members the goals and mission of his Cabinet, in order to get their support. The NLA support is crucial even though it is one of the key agencies created by Prayuth and the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) which he leads.

Prayuth's role as the PM is certainly different to that of NCPO chief. The world community accepts him wearing a PM's hat more than his military cap.

Even though the government has declared it will tighten media control, the press is expected not to budge or shy away from its role as a "watchdog".

Despite martial law still being in effect, the press has proven it carries out its duty with responsibility to check the government, the NLA and the NCPO. Though the formation of National Reform Council is not yet completed, the press is closely scrutinising the NRC selection process because only when we get suitable NRC members, can the country get the reforms we badly need.

As the government starts working, many projects will be under media scrutiny. The best way to prevent hard feelings between state officials or certain figures in the government and the media, as happened with the pricey high-tech microphone controversy, is to create transparency.

The microphone controversy is a living testimony of the power of social media. Although the speed at which "viral opinion" travels may not be the speed of light, the power of the gun - in the name of martial law - surely cannot block or stop it.

The controversy has shaken public confidence and trust in the Prayuth government even before it has taken office.

Full disclosure of information or full transparency is the key to preventing a repeat of such a controversy. In the modern age of communication, keeping a secret is impossible. The government must realise that such a controversy must not happen again. Already, those who fear for the government's survival have warned Prayuth to do away with the high-cost microphones as it runs against what the PM has preached - self-sufficiency.

Prayuth must know that not only competency, but also an impeccable image will ensure success of his administration. The public has put a lot of faith and trust in the PM. He must ensure that all the promises he made are not just lip service. Promises will not be translated into reality if all agencies under Prayuth do not help him realise them.

However, if another controversy arises, Prayuth must show leadership and manage it with integrity to maintain public faith and trust. Indeed, for Prayuth the road ahead is not paved with roses.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prayuth-must-walk-the-talk-to-vindicate-public-fai-30243117.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-12

Walk the Talk by all means , putting Thailand first is the step all the generals men must acknowledge , however I have my doubts that Thailand will be any better in the longer term than what it was twelve months ago , lets face it most Thai rules covering Immigration, Mining ,environment , law and so forth are back in the dark ages, most of the Thai establishment live in yester- year and most alarming is that quite a few dream of the return of the junta days , having confidence in a stacked bench full of yes men doesn't instil much enthusiasm,, prove me wrong General. coffee1.gif

Exactly, so much to be done and it's a massive task. A lot is being asked of the general and his junta.

Let's not forget he took this on himself, he didn't seek election.

• Like 1

Heard on BBC & CNN this morning that Amnesty International has accused the junta with serious abuses of human rights. These include torture, unlawful detentions, re-education camps for anyone who voices different opinions and general terror campaigns throughout the country. Very, very damning.

They did indeed ... and the NCPO response is included

http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/ASA39/011/2014/en/3f49e974-914e-4df6-a0d9-b072a6e18f51/asa390112014en.pdf

Edited by Thanet
  • Like 2

Heard on BBC & CNN this morning that Amnesty International has accused the junta with serious abuses of human rights. These include torture, unlawful detentions, re-education camps for anyone who voices different opinions and general terror campaigns throughout the country. Very, very damning.

They did indeed ... and the NCPO response is included

http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/ASA39/011/2014/en/3f49e974-914e-4df6-a0d9-b072a6e18f51/asa390112014en.pdf

Well,that puts the cat among the pigeons a little bit.

Why would they bother to torture people? What would that achieve?

• Like 1

It would be helpful to see the evidence for these accusations. One place you are unlikely to find them is in the Thai media, which despite the ludicrous claims made in this article about their determination not to be silenced, has become largely a propaganda tool of government.

The latest pronouncements about a more intense crackdown on media freedom is another step towards the totalitarian state which seems inexorably to be emerging as the generals' recipe for bringing "happiness" to the people - whether they want it or not.

• Like 1

Quite correct and thank you for highlighting the negativity that the Juna have to work through. The red shirts will do and say anything to discredit the exemplary work the good General Prayuth is and will continue to do. They are simply jealous due to their waning popularity.

Kritsuda Khunasen is the case that stand out in this report you refer to. A women that is a supporter of the UDD, a terrorist wind of the failed PTP. The UDD are not known for telling the truth and in fact twist stories to suit an agenda. They are not morally conscious and if they are not allowed to be responsible for moving the country forward they will discredit any attempt by anyone else to move it forward.

She was allegedly beaten with such veracity it was described as torture yet when she was released on the 24th of June she did not seek medical treatment, she did not photograph the bruising, she did not even travel to Singapore (she was allowed) to have a report from an independent medical professional that described the "torture" inflicted on her body. Nope. None of that. She waited nearly 2 weeks to report it AND with no evidence apart from her word that it happened. I am actually disappointed in her that she didn't state they nailed her too a cross, but then, there would have been life long evidence of that from the scars on her hands. She can only make up a story where evidence cannot be proven. That is the UDD way.

​So again thanks for highlighting the uphill battle the Junta have to face in their struggle against the shadowy terroristic red campaign of hate and fear. It certainly does show that the road ahead is not paved with roses.

​Good luck to the Junta and through the publ;ics overwhelming support and confidence I am sure they will succeed.

​May peace and reconciliation be with you.

You my friend are one scary person!

Yes, the truth hurts. I see when ever someone is faced by the truth I present there is no rebuttal. Just a condensation that does not address my post, but allows one to vent their frustration at the truth.

Come on? Rebut my post mate.

<EDIT> I'm scary, yet you support terrorists and an unelected, accused mass murderer, convicted criminal fugitive. Go figure. PTP logic yet again!

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

Quite correct and thank you for highlighting the negativity that the Juna have to work through. The red shirts will do and say anything to discredit the exemplary work the good General Prayuth is and will continue to do. They are simply jealous due to their waning popularity.

Kritsuda Khunasen is the case that stand out in this report you refer to. A women that is a supporter of the UDD, a terrorist wind of the failed PTP. The UDD are not known for telling the truth and in fact twist stories to suit an agenda. They are not morally conscious and if they are not allowed to be responsible for moving the country forward they will discredit any attempt by anyone else to move it forward.

She was allegedly beaten with such veracity it was described as torture yet when she was released on the 24th of June she did not seek medical treatment, she did not photograph the bruising, she did not even travel to Singapore (she was allowed) to have a report from an independent medical professional that described the "torture" inflicted on her body. Nope. None of that. She waited nearly 2 weeks to report it AND with no evidence apart from her word that it happened. I am actually disappointed in her that she didn't state they nailed her too a cross, but then, there would have been life long evidence of that from the scars on her hands. She can only make up a story where evidence cannot be proven. That is the UDD way.

​So again thanks for highlighting the uphill battle the Junta have to face in their struggle against the shadowy terroristic red campaign of hate and fear. It certainly does show that the road ahead is not paved with roses.

​Good luck to the Junta and through the publ;ics overwhelming support and confidence I am sure they will succeed.

Yes, the truth hurts. I see when ever someone is faced by the truth I present there is no rebuttal. Just a condensation that does not address my post, but allows one to vent their frustration at the truth.

<EDIT> I'm scary, yet you support terrorists and an unelected, accused mass murderer, convicted criminal fugitive. Go figure. PTP logic yet again!

There is nothing to rebut. You present opinion unsupported by fact. Will your opinion turn out to be correct - perhaps, perhaps not; not enough time has lapsed to make an educated decision. But the initial indications are that you are wrong. Suspending civil liberties in order to "correct" people's thinking is a slippery slope.

• Like 1

There is nothing to rebut. You present opinion unsupported by fact. Will your opinion turn out to be correct - perhaps, perhaps not; not enough time has lapsed to make an educated decision. But the initial indications are that you are wrong. Suspending civil liberties in order to "correct" people's thinking is a slippery slope.

You present opinion unsupported by fact.

OK wonderful. I look forward to the report by the medical examiner that she was beaten as she stated and if she was I hope the military personal are held responsible to the full extent of the law.

Evidence anyone or as Utley stated "facts"?

<EDIT> Or do we just take the word of a UDD supporter?

Edited by djjamie