EDU visa denied by Royal Thai ambassy in Sweden. (language school)

I talket to the embassy today.

They said that they denied the EDU visa because the school “only” had 180 hours of teaching hours.

180 hours is what is the official minimum amount of hours for a EDU visa. I find it interesting that a specific embassy decides that they don’t accept Thailands own rules. Especially since for example the Thai embassy in Laos accept 180 hours.

The embassy wanted 6hours/day school to give a EDU visa in Sweden.

Thailand really makes it hard for a Farang to stay there long time.

I personally can’t work and have a fixed income. Since I am under 50 years its legally impossible to stay in Thailand long time without investor/marriage visa or something like that.

Sure: I can get a dual entry VISA and just go to Laos.

But officially you need a 4-6 month “out of Thailand” before you can apply for a tourist visa again. This rule is not enforced in most embassies but maybe it is one day.

(I simply have to use my dual citizenship /dual passport and get dual entry visa and switch passport every 6 months. Insane)

You don't need to be out of Thailand 4-6 months to apply for another tourist visa. There is no rule like that

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Third world country - hence the small 25,000 baht per month for a year expectation.

Wow. May I kindly reply to some pure nonsense posted here.

I am just so sick and tired of people posting lies on this forum.

It is perfectly possible to live on 25,000 and it is NOT a small amount in Thailand.

If you are a foreign student in Canada, you are expected to have 833 Canadian Dollars a month which by today's exchange rate is 24,253 baht!

So, you and other jealous posters who claim to say that it is hard for a student to live on 25,000 baht in Thailand are saying that it is actually harder to live on this amount in Thailand than it is in CANADA?

In Canada where rent alone in a studio will cost you $1,000 (or 30,000 baht)?

In Canada where a bus ticket is 100 baht?

In Canada where the cheapest fast food meal is 300 baht?

In Canada where a taxi from the Airport (we do not have anything close to airport link there) will cost you close to 3000 baht depending on the city you live in?

In Canada where if you get sick a course of antibiotics will cost you minimum 1000 baht?

Just more lies from what appears to be jealous posters on this forum.

Glad I could help with a dose of reality.

Regards

You don't need to be out of Thailand 4-6 months to apply for another tourist visa. There is no rule like that

According to the Thai embassy + if you check Thai immigration website.

They have this rule so we don’t abuse the Visa system by just getting unlimited tourist visas.

I mean: If we just could get easy 2 entry VISA by visiting Laos every 6 moths there would be no problem.

As I wrote: Most embassies dont enforce this rule today.

Thai visa is a lottery today since I with the same papers can be rejected in one embassy and accepted in another embassy.

---

Anyway:

I applied for EDU visa 180days+ with official 200 hours of school time. + references + proof from my school background + bank account with 1 million+ baht, prepaid 1 year room at ViewTalay6 Pattaya, health insurance.

If I get rejected its only because “to few hours of education”.

=

have to go to Laos to get EDU visa.

The sad thing is that I really want to study Thai. It have been a dream of mine for over 20 years but I find the Thai language very difficult to learn. EDU visa + study thai in Thailand is a life long dream for me.

• Like 1

I mean: If we just could get easy 2 entry VISA by visiting Laos every 6 moths there would be no problem.

Many people does that. You have to show that you have money and rotate consulates every once in a while.

At the consulate in France there is. There can be others.

Why would he go to France and apply at that consulate? When he have hundreds of other consulates and embassies all over the world.

People staying in Thailand and do visa runs to France ....ridiculous...especially when he isn't from France either

Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 1

Just a small update.

My application was also rejected.

Talked to the boss on the embassy.

No language schools can give an EDU visa.

I asked him why other embassies grants EDU visa for language schools. He said that he don’t believe other embassies will give an EDU visa for language schools right now.

Only studies as university can give an EDU visa (at the Swedish Thai embassy).

It does not matter how many hours of school you have or anything else. They simply reject everyone without university studies in Thailand.

Sad...
So I have to try to get EDU visa in Laos like the language school said.

Just a small update.

I asked him why other embassies grants EDU visa for language schools. He said that he don’t believe other embassies will give an EDU visa for language schools right now.

It does not matter how many hours of school you have or anything else. They simply reject everyone without university studies in Thailand.

Sad...

Did they kept the fee ?

Just a small update.

Sad...

clearly that guy isn't updated on visa rules..

clearly that guy isn't updated on visa rules..

He doesn't need to be updated on rules (that do not even exist). He simply receives the rules from from someone above him in Sweden, and applies them.

Edited by paz

That is so ironic. Average Thai salary is about 13200 Baht per month (Q2/14). So they are demanding from foreign students to have twice that amount.

Why is it ironic? That a foreigner that study in Thailand need 11800 baht more than the average Thai. He/she will have many expensis that a Thai citizen don't have.

And it's also a lot less money than than a retiree or a man with Thai family have to show when staying here. A retiree have to show 65k a month to live here, and students complain about 25k a month !!!

Not to mention that a lot of Thai people are more use to living within their means - which means they might live with many other roommates, or in a small room - no kitchen, eat much more cheaply than foreigner (even if foreigner eats Thai food they tend to spend more - because eat more [bigger/fatter]; drink soda pop; etc.). When a foreigner first arrives, they don't necessarily know all the ways to live cheaply (more expensive living accommodation; or want AC).... Want to take skytrain/MRT everywhere - not the non-AC bus which has cheaper flat rate.... etc. etc. etc.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

Yes. Third world country - hence the small 25,000 baht per month for a year expectation.

Wow. May I kindly reply to some pure nonsense posted here.

I am just so sick and tired of people posting lies on this forum.

It is perfectly possible to live on 25,000 and it is NOT a small amount in Thailand.

If you are a foreign student in Canada, you are expected to have 833 Canadian Dollars a month which by today's exchange rate is 24,253 baht!

So, you and other jealous posters who claim to say that it is hard for a student to live on 25,000 baht in Thailand are saying that it is actually harder to live on this amount in Thailand than it is in CANADA?

In Canada where rent alone in a studio will cost you $1,000 (or 30,000 baht)?

In Canada where a bus ticket is 100 baht?

In Canada where the cheapest fast food meal is 300 baht?

In Canada where a taxi from the Airport (we do not have anything close to airport link there) will cost you close to 3000 baht depending on the city you live in?

In Canada where if you get sick a course of antibiotics will cost you minimum 1000 baht?

Just more lies from what appears to be jealous posters on this forum.

Glad I could help with a dose of reality.

Regards

The requirements are reasonable especially since it is an often abused visa.

At the costs you mentioned there - you are already use to living beyond your means - which means adjusting to living cheap here would be a challenge.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

A person from Asia studying English in Canada probably spends a lot on language school and stays a few months, several hours every day and lives conservatively and cooks at home.

But I agree, the amount of money required by Canada is way to low.

Visas are granted by a country generally because they believe it is beneficial for the country.

To compare Canada and Thailand and financial requirements then also compare length of visa to learn the language.

Also need to compare hours of class REQUIRED to maintain student visa.

Canada probably realizes students sacrifice to come to 1st world country to learn a language used throughout the world and can live cheaply to Increases opportunities.

Learning Thai is only used in Thailand.

Thailand wants foreigners to spend money.

Why would Thailand want poor tourist.

Already too many people in the major cities.

Should Thailand adopt financial requirements, length of visa, and hours per week studied to be aligned with Canada and America.?

Edited by brianp0803

A person from Asia studying English in Canada probably spends a lot on language school and stays a few months, several hours every day and lives conservatively and cooks at home.

Cooking at home actually might cost more than not cooking at home in Bangkok. You would have to get an apartment with a kitchen hob (in itself more expensive), you will generally spend more on produce (street vendors will go to places like Klong Toei market and buy in bulk - which would not last long in the apartment fridge before it would "look bad"). A westerner will likely buy a better cut of meat than is necessary in a stir-fry, and often buy/use more than is really required. A foreigner is more likely to spend more on soft drinks/soda pop than a Thai would. I cook, because I like to and I use typically more vegetables than you get down at street level. If I made my breakfast (Pat Grapow Neua - Stir Fried Beef with chilies and holy basil with a fried egg) it would likely end up costing me more than the 45 baht I pay downstairs (they do it better than me).

A Thai would probably use less air condition, less electricity than a foreigner arriving here. The temperature would be set higher, and would likely use AC sparingly - supplementing with cheaper fans (assuming they use AC).

Many westerners expect some sort of furnishings, but Thai apartments tend to be more sparsely and cheaply furnished (isan pillows instead of sofa). In short many Thais have lived most of their life on a very limited budget and would be able to live more cheaply.

Thailand wants foreigners to spend money.

Why would Thailand want poor tourist.

Already too many people in the major cities.

Should Thailand adopt financial requirements, length of visa, and hours per week studied to be aligned with Canada and America.?

Thailand should do what is right for Thailand.... which means ignoring the current generation wuss and their entitled attitudes :o

What are required classroom attendance hours for student visas in America and Canada?

People complain about some consulates having financial requirements but they sure wouldn't want the typical hour

requirements

of other countries educational visas

What are required classroom attendance hours for student visas in America and Canada?

People complain about some consulates having financial requirements but they sure wouldn't want the typical hour

requirements

of other countries educational visas

I think US is 18 hours for an F-1 visa (just looked it up for a Japanese person). Canada I suspect is more lenient but too lazy to look it up.

18 hours for a full time student is reasonable.

Yes, Thailand has hourly requirements per week - I believe it is around 10 hours per week (2 hours per day / 5 day week). The school has to be approved by the ministry (some may be restricted to one year education only - depending on length in business etc.).

Unless it changed recently, 180 hours for 1 year visa (4 hours a week)

Schools don't take attendance(and many students never attend) but tell immigration students have perfect attendance.

How many months would a typical student visa last?

Thailand give educational visas for thai for 4 years then can start again with another language

Anyway:

I applied for EDU visa 180days+ with official 200 hours of school time. + references + proof from my school background + bank account with 1 million+ baht, prepaid 1 year room at ViewTalay6 Pattaya, health insurance.

=

The sad thing is that I really want to study Thai. It have been a dream of mine for over 20 years but I find the Thai language very difficult to learn. EDU visa + study thai in Thailand is a life long dream for me.

Just went throught the exact same situation at the Stockholm Embassy last week. I'm in BKK now though and plan to go to Vientiane next week to see what can be done. According to the (well known) school I am scheduled to attend there should be no problem whatsoever to get the ED visa there, but that is what they told me about getting it in Stockholm too...

Anyway:

=

What a complete bunch of buffoons .

Do they honestly believe that, after having paid 200 hours of lessons, 1 year housing, etc, you're going to say. "Oh you don't want to give me a visa? that's too bad. I'm gonna cancel immediately my Thailand trip". Of course not, you're going to a less retarded consulate and get your visa anyway. It's just for the pleasure of pissing off people.

I can't belive anyone staying in Sweden would prepay housing. And pay for 1 year in advance before even getting a visa to stay in Thailand !!! And also pay for a 1 year health insurence without knowing if he could stay here!!!

Edited by bangkoklasse

Having paid for housing and school for a year at least shows financial capability. Food would be a minor additional cost.

People complain about some consulates asking for proof of financial ability to support yourself for a year without working.

Many people on Ed Visa attending school maximum 4 hours a week must work to pay rent and food.

I would never prepay but it shows commitment

Having paid for housing and school for a year at least shows financial capability. Food would be a minor additional cost.

People complain about some consulates asking for proof of financial ability to support yourself for a year without working.

Many people on Ed Visa attending school maximum 4 hours a week must work to pay rent and food.

I would never prepay but it shows commitment

Obviously not enough commitment to get a visa.

And in the last thread he started he told us he was retired with dual citizenship. And like to do 30 day visa runs and alternate between his two passport.............yes a real student that show commitment smile.png

Edited by bangkoklasse