Phuket V/Gov tells ex beach vendors to find a new job

Lite Beer

Thalang, Laguna to serve as 'model' for solving Phuket jobless beach vendor issue

Saran Mitrarat

1410581926_1.jpg

SERIOUSNESS: Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tippayapongthada has little patient for solution dialogues that bypass the law.

PHUKET: Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tippayapongthada became frustrated in a meeting yesterday afternoon addressing the issue of jobless beach operators insisting on working their previous jobs at their original locations.

Also joining the meeting at Phuket's DDPM office, was Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kebsup, as well as representative officers from each of the island's municipalities and district offices affected by the recent top-down beach-town crack-down and clean-up.

The objective was to discuss a solution for some 1,441 beach operators who remain jobless for over three months

“After we reviewed the people who registered for help from us, we found that there are two kinds of people in registration: really poor people and 'wannabe' poor people,” said a representative from Thalang District Office.

Patong mayor, Chalermluck Kebsup added, “As I've heard from the three district offices, most ex-beach operators are all in the same stance, that they do not want to change or move their location, so how can we find the solution?”

Upon hearing this, Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tippayapongthada became upset “Anyone in the meeting, please tell me, which law supports locals to have the right to occupy public land ?”

“If I could, I would manage all public land for all the people to share and use it. But in fact, this isn't the case. They [the disgruntled, jobless beach vendors] must accept this point!” he stated firmly.

“They should find another job instead, otherwise they will not have no money as they always say. I will keep an eye on them, are they going to die if they cannot have their previous job.”

The District Office chiefs were assigned to monitor the beaches in their areas. As for coming negotiations, “On September 22, we will start at Thalang district first, since Laguna agreed to hire all of beach massage to be their staff and they also provided the place for taxi ranks,” V/Gov Chamroen said.

“After that we will use this model [solution] to apply for Muang Phuket and Kathu districts.” he noted.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-v-gov-tells-ex-beach-vendors-to-find-a-new-job-48711.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-09-13

• Like 2

CiaranO this is a country without any back up system. It's not like the UK or other wealthy western states. I bet they have tried like hell to find something to do. I kind of guess you have never been without a living and starving.

You really can't fault the clean up. Thailand has lost visitors hand over fist. My friends who visit are appalled by both the street and beach vendor invasion

Going to any main stream beach area in Thailand was becoming a pain. No sand only umbrellas. Vendors waking you up to sell something etc. etc . But and It's a big but. The clean up seems to be happening without a plan "B" It's OK moving them on but you have to provide them somewhere to go.

Beach chairs and umbrellas are alright but when they are only 5% occupied because they have destroyed the beach atmosphere then something has to happen.

I have always thought that there is something strange with the Thai mentality (One of many hehe) Why open an exactly similar business right next door to one doing the same thing?

Living here is great because you can soon learn where to avoid. Unfortunately holiday makers coming here for their fortnightly holiday don't have that luxury.

Let the clean up carry on but sort out the human debris left behind

• Like 2

... I bet they have tried like hell to find something to do. ...

back in 2007/8 i ran a couple of laundries shop in pattaya area: the sign "staff wanted" (in thai language) was on the shop's windows since the opening...

seemed like even a zero-degree zero-skill thai person scorn to load washing machines and/or .

• Like 1

CiaranO this is a country without any back up system. It's not like the UK or other wealthy western states. I bet they have tried like hell to find something to do. I kind of guess you have never been without a living and starving.

You really can't fault the clean up. Thailand has lost visitors hand over fist. My friends who visit are appalled by both the street and beach vendor invasion

Going to any main stream beach area in Thailand was becoming a pain. No sand only umbrellas. Vendors waking you up to sell something etc. etc . But and It's a big but. The clean up seems to be happening without a plan "B" It's OK moving them on but you have to provide them somewhere to go.

Beach chairs and umbrellas are alright but when they are only 5% occupied because they have destroyed the beach atmosphere then something has to happen.

I have always thought that there is something strange with the Thai mentality (One of many hehe) Why open an exactly similar business right next door to one doing the same thing?

Living here is great because you can soon learn where to avoid. Unfortunately holiday makers coming here for their fortnightly holiday don't have that luxury.

Unemployment Thailand 0.56% Switzerland 3.1% United Kingdom 6.1% http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_unemployment_rate

Percent of Brits that can go back to the family farm and drink free moonshine and eat free food.

.00007% (not including Scotland)

Percent of Thais that can go back the the family farm and drink free moonshine and eat free food 67.8%

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 2

Unemployment is at it lowest in years, these people want to work at a job that lets them sleep late, do a few hours work for a large pay, now they are waking up in the real world these guys are not as bad off as some people make them sound, yes they will have to work hard in farms, in factories and lots of other places but there is work out there for them... Just not what they were used to..

>>“They should find another job instead,

I agree. High season is coming and plenty of jobs are there to be had, although these jobs might require actual work.

although these jobs might require actual work.

...and exactly that seems to be the problem. Even the most uneducated are smart enough to have just one thing in mind: EASY MONEY!

• Like 1

The sun bed people I could care less where they go, I'd still like to be able to order a drink or get a snack on the beach though but I can see where they're all coming from when jet skis who are the main cause of trouble at most beaches are allowed to continue doing business as usual, Its one rule for one and one for another.

The sun bed people I could care less where they go, I'd still like to be able to order a drink or get a snack on the beach though but I can see where they're all coming from when jet skis who are the main cause of trouble at most beaches are allowed to continue doing business as usual, Its one rule for one and one for another.

The problem with jet skis seems to be that the Marine Office is in charge of them. The same guy who thinks foreign yachts are the issue in Phuket, not Thais with improper lighting, no radios, navigation instruments or a clue as how to safely operate a boat. Illegal fishing? No problem it seems either. It's these foreign yacht owners that need to be monitored. BS! As usual from this guy! http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/759598-details-of-phuket-yacht-clampdown-clarified/

• Like 1

The so called " jobless " beach vendors, are making the typical Thai cry of " we need help from the Government ", as soon as they actually have to be competetive.

A culture of this has been instilled over the years by previous Governments using " vote buying " policies that gave an awful lot of money to people that really needed to work harder in their chosen business,s, but instead had to do nothing.

It seems to me that every day the Thais have their begging bowls out for help, instead of actually competeing for business or work.

Today, it,s the beach vendors, and the rice farmers again, are bitching about the low selling costs of their rice due to a low world market price, ( something of their own making ) alongside this, the rubber farmers who are having their product purchased by the Government at over maket costs, are complaining about just about everthing to do with their industry..

"But and It's a big but. The clean up seems to be happening without a plan "B" It's OK moving them on but you have to provide them somewhere to go."

Seems to me that the government never "owes" jobs to illegal workers. Thailand had needed the rule of law for a very long time, and this beginning is a good start. As some have said here, they hope and pray this will continue. We don't owe lawbreakers a job. There is no gray, just legal or not legal.

I do believe Thailand does have a social welfare system for people who have paid taxes - i know its only good for 3 months but its something but they are not entitled to it as i would say taxes and the vendors dont know each other too well.

Send the jobless ex beach vendor to the far South as security forces. It will be nce to see this once mafia characters dealing with the islamic separatists scum there. Let the scum deal with the scum I say.

Don't be so harsh on these unemployed people.

Send them south as Pork vendors whistling.gif

OOps no future in that job either cheesy.gif

I do believe Thailand does have a social welfare system for people who have paid taxes - i know its only good for 3 months but its something but they are not entitled to it as i would say taxes and the vendors dont know each other too well.

Yes, there is a social security payment - 5% of income from employee and 5% from employer, and 5% contribution fromm central government. All company employess must make these payments, private business and individual can make these payments but most chose not to make payment or get invloved in any way with government offices such as tax and social security.

Income tax is a seperate payment, but the average employee pays little to no tax as most earn under the tax allowance thresh-hold.

Yes, there is a social security payment - 5% of income from employee and 5% from employer, and 5% contribution fromm central government. All company employess must make these payments, private business and individual can make these payments but most chose not to make payment or get invloved in any way with government offices such as tax and social security.

Income tax is a seperate payment, but the average employee pays little to no tax as most earn under the tax allowance thresh-hold.

I would presume though some of the beach vendors were self employed, and some of them were 'family employed', so no social security whatsoever.

From your own comfortable station, it is easy to tell the now unemployed beach massage lady to go and work at the gas station for 300 Baht per day. But she has obligations to meet, like maybe putting children through university, and needs far more than that.

Please don't come with the "they knew it was illegal" argument. Commercial activities at the beach have been tolerated for 30+ years, so of course these (lowly educated) people expected to be able to continue what they were doing.

• Like 2