THAI bans external battery packs on board

Lite Beer

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snip...

What's wrong with taking a completely discharged battery pack in your hand luggage? It's probably the cheap Chinese made battery packs that are "exploding" anyway -

I am all for safety aboard airlines but going down this route you might as well ban mobile phones, laptops and tablets as well ! They all have lithium ion batteries.

It's best to at least half-charge your battery pack. There should be discharge protection but an over-discharged lithium battery is quite dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

csabo, on 14 Sept 2014 - 17:18, said:

MediaWatcher, on 14 Sept 2014 - 15:22, said:

livingthedream, on 14 Sept 2014 - 11:42, said:

livingthedream, on 14 Sept 2014 - 11:42, said:

Well I won't be flying Thai then and probably quite a few more people will be put off by this latest safety policy. What's wrong with taking a completely discharged battery pack in your hand luggage? It's probably the cheap Chinese made battery packs that are "exploding" anyway -

I am all for safety aboard airlines but going down this route you might as well ban mobile phones, laptops and tablets as well ! They all have lithium ion batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Wow, I hope more people are like you, then there will be less people on my flights, more leg room. I really can't believe a person would publically state they will not fly with Thai, because they can't take their toys...very sad. When flying I do NOT want to hear mobile phones, noisy laptops or tablets, or be hit in the head by one flying through the air when hitting bad turbulence.... about time some people thought about others.
Yessiree! Those dadgum whippersnappers with their newfangled whosits and whatchamacallits!!! No one had to worry about that in my day when we road the stagecoach from town to town headin west for the big gold rush!! Ain't that right gramps!!? I assume you posted from a nearby internet cafe as surely you dont own any of these terrible devil machines.

Use them yes... will my world end if I can't use them for a few hours, hell no. At least the stage coach travelled at a more sedate pace than instant messaging, which means instant action and an expected instant reply. Get a life, we lived quite happily with a fixed line phone.

The battery is required when you reach your destination. None of this discussion has anything to do with instant messaging in flight you deeply out of touch excuse for a human. We did just fine on horseback too until the wheel came along. I guess you don't like that invention either. Go back to the stone age, you are missed.

Okay ... so does this mean that Thai Air will offer up more charging points so that we can plug in and recharge those Lithium batteries that already power our devises? Good luck with that idea!

Are they kidding? Come on, what is next... The actual batteries that are already in our devises? Bik pens that even pilots fear being used as a stabbing weapon? The amount of booze served is in and of itself a greater potential threat on a plane. Then what about the O2 cylinders carried for emergencies... when were they last serviced/inspected? The lighter that the 'security monitor watchers' never seem to notice (thank God if you are a smoker). Come on... the small power pack devises are not really an issue. The greater threat are the big ones (aircraft system grade) being shipped in the hold of the aircraft that are the bigger worry here. Not to mention the large cardboard boxes that seem to be part of someone's checked luggage that just fly through security.

Lithium batteries are an issue for there have been instances where problems have arisen with them. But they pale in comparison to the instances of unruly passengers. Should they be a concern? Sure. Everything getting on a plane should be considered a potential threat. For the aircraft is a sealed container flying at 30,000+ feet. But to say that a power pack about an inch long and 1/2 inch wide that produces somewhere between 2200mAh and 6000mAh (depending on your need... though the former has enough to charge your average iPhone one time) the issue with them over heating and bursting into flames is so small that you would need a microscope to examine their potential to become a threat to the cabin.

There are greater concerns For Thai Air and the others to worry about after all. I say ban the hell out of the Knee protector (a devise that does not allow the person in front of you from reclining their dam seat). That just makes people angry as shown on that flight in the US.

Ha Ha, and a stick should be provided to knock the passenger on the head when he quickly reclines with a thud as you are eating your food. The battery thing is important, BUT other matters should be tackled, and Thai should prioritize first. First class passengers are not as violent as economy, because they have stainless knives and forks, economy have plastic. But please note no sharp articles are allowed to be taken on board, Plastic knives are sharper weapons than the steel ones.

LOL. But First Class passengers do not have the time to do anything except figure out how in Hell's name you get that flat bed flat! It took me once almost the entire flight! Just as I had managed to get everything perfect... I was told that we were landing. So all for nothing! Give me Tourist Class any day. Nothing to do except sit there and be treated like cattle! Though I have to say that the A380 does give you a bit more room. But still... for the price of your next 3 children for First Class... they should hand carry you aboard! But you are right I could do a great deal more damage with a plastic fork than with a metal one. I knew a guy that carried a piece of sash cord with him on every flight... one with 3 knots in it. Asked him about it and he said that in the SAS in 1942 he used it to "take care" of German sentries. He said he felt safer with it and was never stopped even on EL AL.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay ... so does this mean that Thai Air will offer up more charging points so that we can plug in and recharge those Lithium batteries that already power our devises? Good luck with that idea!

Are they kidding? Come on, what is next... The actual batteries that are already in our devises? Bik pens that even pilots fear being used as a stabbing weapon? The amount of booze served is in and of itself a greater potential threat on a plane. Then what about the O2 cylinders carried for emergencies... when were they last serviced/inspected? The lighter that the 'security monitor watchers' never seem to notice (thank God if you are a smoker). Come on... the small power pack devises are not really an issue. The greater threat are the big ones (aircraft system grade) being shipped in the hold of the aircraft that are the bigger worry here. Not to mention the large cardboard boxes that seem to be part of someone's checked luggage that just fly through security.

Lithium batteries are an issue for there have been instances where problems have arisen with them. But they pale in comparison to the instances of unruly passengers. Should they be a concern? Sure. Everything getting on a plane should be considered a potential threat. For the aircraft is a sealed container flying at 30,000+ feet. But to say that a power pack about an inch long and 1/2 inch wide that produces somewhere between 2200mAh and 6000mAh (depending on your need... though the former has enough to charge your average iPhone one time) the issue with them over heating and bursting into flames is so small that you would need a microscope to examine their potential to become a threat to the cabin.

There are greater concerns For Thai Air and the others to worry about after all. I say ban the hell out of the Knee protector (a devise that does not allow the person in front of you from reclining their dam seat). That just makes people angry as shown on that flight in the US.

Ha Ha, and a stick should be provided to knock the passenger on the head when he quickly reclines with a thud as you are eating your food. The battery thing is important, BUT other matters should be tackled, and Thai should prioritize first. First class passengers are not as violent as economy, because they have stainless knives and forks, economy have plastic. But please note no sharp articles are allowed to be taken on board, Plastic knives are sharper weapons than the steel ones.

At Swampy 24th Sept, no extra warnings given re-batteries. To note, TG 916 lunch time flight to London ON A340-600, yes the ones that are up for sale, 300+ passengers---220 on the flight, only. WHY= price. Loads of room economy, seating 2-4-2. service reasonable--no dolly cabin crew, food moderate, drinks frequent-orange/water/. on time at LHR. A340 much better than the 747 comfort. video touch screen facing.-----------This is a good aircraft---fill it and you will get a return -profit.