Can I ride a motorbike in Phuket with my international driver's license for car?

hermesalpha

I checked now, I can't get a Thai driver's license with just a tourist visa, must have a non-immigrant visa (O?).

I tried to get one years ago when I was still a tourist and the problem I ran into was getting a certificate of residence. I was staying in a hotel.

SDM

No problem, immigration will even issue them on visa exempt entry.

I never got that far, it really didn't seem worth it for a four week holiday. Easier to use a UK licence with an IDP rather than spend a day at the licencing centre after an hour at immigration to get the certificate of residence!

True, the process is meant for people living here. Tourists can simply use their home license (even IDP is not required), see conditions as mentioned earlier.

• Like 1

I checked now, I can't get a Thai driver's license with just a tourist visa, must have a non-immigrant visa (O?).

Not true. In Phuket you can get a driving license valid for one year only with a tourist visa.

I have done it.

Correct. I am on my second 1 year Thai licence. Both years, I obtained the licence whilst on a 60 dy tourist visa.

• Like 1

I also agree with the previous posts. The police often let tourists get away with a car license at the checkpoints.

Also, an international drivers permit is not required in Thailand.

What exactly do you mean "International Drivers License." There is no such thing. Do you mean the IDP? Do you have a card that actually says "International Drivers License" on it?

Wow. Here in Pattaya the police will NOT let you show a car license and not get a ticket. Concerning the "International Drivers License", you know he means an IDP. You have nothing else to do today but harass? What a shame....

True, the motorbike will very, very likely only have the compulsory and very limited insurance, but:

1. travel insurance will quite often cover motorbike accidents, including own costs plus 3rd party;

2. health insurance will also sometimes cover

But nearly always license will be required for cover.

All true, but any claim on the insurance attached to the Porobor takes some time, the process with travel insurance is normally you pay and reclaim when you get home and health insurance will normally over cover your medical expenses if you are hurt in an accident.

If you are unlucky enough to have an accident it will expected for recompense to be made before you leave The Kingdom. In practice this means if your in a smash then you pay for everything.

Incidentally, if you're in a small knock and break some lights or similar, you should consider taking the bike to a dealer in Phuket Town rather than Patong (you were in Phuket right? I forgot as I wrote the reply!). You will find that a light lens will be 300 baht as opposed to maybe 3000 at the hire company?

SDM

If quoting please leave the original quote in place. You have deleted the quote I replied to, and stand alone this really does not make sense.

I've read it though a few times and it makes perfect sense. All I am addressing is

" the motorbike will very, very likely only have the compulsory and very limited insurance, but:

1. travel insurance will quite often cover motorbike accidents, including own costs plus 3rd party;

2. health insurance will also sometimes cover"

Three good points that stand up on there own. I try to restrict my quoted matter to only reflect what I am addressing, as long as this does not distort what the original poster had to say. In this case it doesn't. I try to avoid needlessly quoting entire posts, which may themselves quote entire posts. Quite often on some threads the same text is repeated unnecessarily again and again and again when perhaps the new poster may only be addressing part of the original text.

As with all my posts I will write as I wish and if anyone is unhappy with any of my posts they can use the " report" function thus having them removed if the mods agree. I already asked for the offending post to be removed but see its still there.

SDM

• Like 1

gee, have things changed over there in Phuket?...

...used to be that so long as you held a vehicle licence from your home country, then you could ride a motorbike - just so long as you did not try to ride the m/bike over the bridge to the mainland.

gee, have things changed over there in Phuket?...

...used to be that so long as you held a vehicle licence from your home country, then you could ride a motorbike - just so long as you did not try to ride the m/bike over the bridge to the mainland.

No, this has not changed, but that is a limitation the renter will quite often impose.

I also agree with the previous posts. The police often let tourists get away with a car license at the checkpoints.

Also, an international drivers permit is not required in Thailand.

What exactly do you mean "International Drivers License." There is no such thing. Do you mean the IDP? Do you have a card that actually says "International Drivers License" on it?

Wow. Here in Pattaya the police will NOT let you show a car license and not get a ticket. Concerning the "International Drivers License", you know he means an IDP. You have nothing else to do today but harass? What a shame....

No, actually I didn't know that, and neither did you though you may have thought you did. Many people fall for the internet "international drivers license" scam and end up with one of these:

2_small.jpg

And then end up like this guy:

Australian arrested for carrying fake driving license at Pattaya Police Checkpoint

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/536096-australian-arrested-for-carrying-fake-driving-license-at-pattaya-police-checkpoint/

Also see: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/37747-warning-of-fake-international-driving-permits/