Double Entry Tourist Visa used correctly

One of the most common mistake is that people think they can use a Double Entry Tourist Visa for a unlimited time as long as they entered for the first time before the ENTER BEFORE date, this is wrong.

In fact ALL Visas have a certain validity date, most of the Thai Embassies/Consulate in a Western Country give 6 month validity, but all Thai Embassies/Consulate around Thailand give 3 month only, means ALL entries must be used within the ENTER BEFORE date on a visa.

For example:

A Single Entry Tourist Visa allow a 60 day stay, extendable for 30 days at Thai Immigration, THB 1,900.-.

A Double Entry Tourist Visa allow 2 x 60 days, each entry extendable by 30 days.

After first 90 days are up and before the ENTER BEFORE date you join a Visa Run to activate the second 60 days, extend for 30 days, so you can stay up to 180 days.

Tourist Visas from Laos are valid for 3 month from date of issue ( CROSSCHECK ENTER BEFORE date shown on the visa), means all entries must be used by this date latest.

If February/Overstay is involved you may have to leave Thailand before the first 60+30 ending, otherwise you lose the 2nd Entry.

This might be the right place to ask. I am on the first entry of a double-entry tourist visa. Can I obtain a re-entry permit to leave the country during the first sixty days and keep my second entry for when I will be back in January (enter before date: 3 Feb)? I do not want to limit my travels to embassy and consulate locations.

Edited by scavenger

This might be the right place to ask. I am on the first entry of a double-entry tourist visa. Can I obtain a re-entry permit to leave the country during the first sixty days and keep my second entry for when I will be back in January (enter before date: 3 Feb)? I do not want to limit my travels to embassy and consulate locations.

A re-entry permit to leave and re-enter during your first 60 day entry and/or the 30 day extension is possible in order to save the 2nd entry for when your return.

Just make sure that you put the reentry permit number on your arrival card in the "visa" space, not the visa number, and make the IO aware that you are using the re-entry permit not the second entry!