Thai campaign to urge crash helmets for motorcycle travels begins

webfact

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make the schools responsible. Thousands of kids arrrive at school everyday on motorcycles (sometimes 3 or 4 on the same bike) no helmets, with many drivers well underage.

The schools should turn them away.

The police should stop them and fine them (their parents and/or guardians) heavily...say 5000baht!!! and even confiscate the bikes for 1 month.

That would bring instant results

Too much talk and no action!

Why 60% within 3 years? It should be 100% next week and could be if everyone does their job!

Teacher should pay attention to their Students when They arrive at school and when they leave to go home... No different then bus driver does when he is delivering kids to and from...

This would be a really good starting point to begin the idea of wearing helmet!biggrin.png In Class Room make a Point to Reward in front of the rest of the class those who were observed wearing.wai2.gif To start do it every day... then do it at the end of the week. keep a tally of who wears one the most (Like a Game)clap2.gif also pay attention after and away from school who when seen is wearing... Add or Subtract Points tongue.png

Then at years end Certificates for those who obey... Trophy for School with highest Complience...clap2.gif Awarded By Police! Winners to ride Float in annual Parade... Only gets better for those in School... But maybe the Kids can be contagious like the flu at home... Teach their Parents a little safety!

it is shocking to see young school girls no helmet sometimes 3 on bike as all thai girls say mucks

up there hair they should have some control at the schools i have seen what happens no helmet laying in hospital

and have to take wife friend child off life machines make the schools head master take the kids who donnt wear

helmets to the hosptals and see the brain damaged kids look at the figures every day how many brain damaged

and the parent

will say no money or wonnt listen if you love your child make them but i know years ago make my girl wear

leave home and take off down road not cool in front of here friends

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

THREE points I'd like to make.

1) In Vietnam, motorbikes are impounded for 48hrs if the drivers have no helmet. The bikes are released after a fine has been paid and they have a helmet with them

2) Ever noticed how often motorcyclists turn and look backwards, rather than use their mirrors. It only takes 2 seconds for someone in front to stop and pow!

3) What is is about NOT looking to the right before entering an intersection. Trust in a lucky charm maybe? Avoiding eye contact? alt=w00t.gif>

No 2. I always look over my shoulder after checking my mirror and signal before I change direction etc. maybe that can be seen as looking backwards.

Regarding number 2. I have been riding bikes almost every day for the past 32 years, all over the world. I was trained in the UK and one thing that is encouraged is what is called the "lifesaver". This encourages riders to quickly check over their shoulder before turning, rather than relying entirely on your mirrors, which on occasions can have blind spots. Also if you are following someone and intend to look over your shoulder you should have ensured there was plenty of time to stop before taking a quick look. Your point is silly.

You are more or less saying that I am not aware of what is going on around me, I am. and my post is not silly. If I change direction, I always look over my shoulder, either side, in case of the blind spot in my mirror before I change direction. If that is being silly, then I'll just carry on being silly, and, I was also trained in the UK.

It's kinda pleasing here, that the issue of advisability of wearing helmets is not being obfuscated (sorry, should say confused) with the issue of policing helmet use.

Posters including louse1953 and myself have indicated that personal tragedy may have been decreased, if helmet use was better-accepted.

It's OK to take the peese out of the inconsistency of ensuring helmet usage, but please don't lose sight of the evidence that helmet use decreases severity of cranial trauma. AA

Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought helmets were a legal requirement? So, perhaps the police should try enforcing the law, while the penalties could, perhaps, be more realistic.

And wearing a helmet is one thing, but the state of many helmets renders wearing them riskier than not, as does perching them on top of the head, or having a decrepit strap.

Strange how Vietnamese riders, faced with a helmet law just a few years ago, all seem to wear them.

And I somehow doubt helmet manufacturers make them in infant sizes.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

Are you people not sick and tired already with governments telling you what you can and cannot do. If I choose not to wear my helmet or seatbelt then that should be a choice that I can make not some freaking beaurocrat. This is their country and we are all guests in their country so if people don't want to wear a helmet it should be their choice,afterall it's their life.

Couple of things. Thai family just down the soi. Good job for hubby and wife, one child, very good English for both. Beautiful 14 yr old girl who would easily have a career as a model. Was talking with them one day and watched her drive off on her little Click. I commented: "You don't love your daughter much, do you?" Instant bristling by both who swore they loved her more than anything in the world. "No, you don't," I told them. "If you did, you wouldn't let a 14 yr old drive to school, and everywhere else when she isn't old enough for a license, and drive without a helmet." Got the usual responses about how good a driver she was, etc.

Exactly one week later she was killed when struck by a pick up from behind. Doctors said what killed her was the impact of the back of her head on the grill of the truck. At the funeral the parents turned on me, blaming me for the accident. I told them: "If you want to know who is responsible for her death, go home and look in the mirror," before turning and walking away. The parents moved away about 2 weeks later.

Second, here's an innovative way to get the cops to do their job. Set up CCTV in front of every school, trained on the cop directing traffic. At the end of the day have an official play it back, in slo-mo, and count the number of kids he let go past on bikes with no helmets. Fine him just 20 baht per kid. That would add up real fast, and you can bet he'd be enforcing the law the next day.

Are you people not sick and tired already with governments telling you what you can and cannot do. If I choose not to wear my helmet or seatbelt then that should be a choice that I can make not some freaking beaurocrat. This is their country and we are all guests in their country so if people don't want to wear a helmet it should be their choice,afterall it's their life.

You don't want to wear a helmet, or use a seat belt? Fine, that's up to you. Your decision entirely. By the way, is your name on the Future Darwin Award winners list yet?

wai2.gif

Joe Bloggs, on 15 Sept 2014 - 16:52, said:

Proper impact-tested motorcycle helmets are not cheap but on the other hand, mopeds don't go very fast.

Tourists who hire motorcycles NEED TO BE AWARE OF RAM-RAIDERS. I know this because a friend of a friend knows a couple who took a holiday in the Far East. They were riding along the main road when the noticed a car waiting in a side turning. It seemed that the people in the car were waiting because the moped had right-of-way.

When the moped drew level with the junction the car shot out of the side turning and the couple were knocked off their bike. The people in the car got out but instead of helping they just robbed the couple then drove away.

Wallets gone, passports gone, a wrecked moped to pay for and huge hospital bills. Thousands of dollars were needed.

Take care!

You cannot say mopeds do`nt go very fast I have had on numerous times had mopeds going at least 80 or even 90 kph along side me on a super highway jeeze even at 40kph you would have a serious injury.

Mio can cruise at 140 Kpm all day long.

Anyway 90% of helmets on sale in Thailand are just useless when riding a motorbike. They look more as bicycle helmets

even many farang just don't get it wearing actual bicycle helmets on the motorbikerolleyes.gif I mean, what's the point ? it's not about putting any old thing on your head it's about putting something that will serve a purpose upon impact

I must admit the helmet I wear isn't that good but then again I go on the pillion with the wife driving and i doubt I ever go faster than i do on a push bike. I've seen sprinters go faster and they don't wear helmets.

They have to start somewhere and it's been a long time coming.

I presume you expect society or your family to take care of you 24/7 when some minor impact has turned you into a stammering semi-paralyzed helpless creature as direct consequence of your "choice".

No I'm not but then I wear a seatbelt because I can't see the point in risking my life. Unless you're on your own in a car you are putting the others with you in danger as well. With helmets it's a bit different as it won't usually affect anyone else, well not directly anyway although if you have family it might. The main advantage of forcing the wearing of helmets is that it's much more difficult to persuade young people to wear them if older ones aren't. I don't know the costs to the country of the very large number of accidents but that may be an issue as well.

If I choose not to wear my helmet or seatbelt then that should be a choice that I can make not some freaking beaurocrat. This is their country and we are all guests in their country so if people don't want to wear a helmet it should be their choice,afterall it's their life.

You should calm down you're writing gibberish. If this is their country and you are a guest then shouldn't you obey their laws?

I don't think anyone on this forum forced the Thai government to enact the laws mentioned, we are just commenting on it. It is a forum after all or are you confusing it with parliament?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

THREE points I'd like to make.

1) In Vietnam, motorbikes are impounded for 48hrs if the drivers have no helmet. The bikes are released after a fine has been paid and they have a helmet with them

2) Ever noticed how often motorcyclists turn and look backwards, rather than use their mirrors. It only takes 2 seconds for someone in front to stop and pow!

3) What is is about NOT looking to the right before entering an intersection. Trust in a lucky charm maybe? Avoiding eye contact? alt=w00t.gif>

No 2. I always look over my shoulder after checking my mirror and signal before I change direction etc. maybe that can be seen as looking backwards.

Regarding number 2. I have been riding bikes almost every day for the past 32 years, all over the world. I was trained in the UK and one thing that is encouraged is what is called the "lifesaver". This encourages riders to quickly check over their shoulder before turning, rather than relying entirely on your mirrors, which on occasions can have blind spots. Also if you are following someone and intend to look over your shoulder you should have ensured there was plenty of time to stop before taking a quick look. Your point is silly.

You are more or less saying that I am not aware of what is going on around me, I am. and my post is not silly. If I change direction, I always look over my shoulder, either side, in case of the blind spot in my mirror before I change direction. If that is being silly, then I'll just carry on being silly, and, I was also trained in the UK.

that's nice

How about taking some of that fat education budget and subsidizing quality helmets for kids. They will definitely learn more if they are alive to attend class. Run a fast design competition at potential contractors' expense and spread the contract for the winning (affordable, safety standard compliant...) design, or composite design, over say the top three qualified competitors. This will pretty much ensure serious multiple submittals from existing (Thai?) helmet makers. Specifications already exist out there (in the form of standards and reports from first-world countries) and should require little tailoring to be suitable for bid solicitation. Or, just buy off the shelf models from outside the country, pay wholesale or bulk rates + shipping and insurance, and waive duties and taxes on import. Easy enough at present.

Edited by Ozziepat

Thais can't afford to buy real helmets anyway so whats the point ? If they really want to do this they should start removing all the useless helmets sold at Big C and Tesco . And find a helmet that really protects the head in an accident. So this will never happen.

But they can afford to buy the bike eh???

No , most Thais with average salaries borrow money and pay it back monthly for the bike, as they do with smart phones etc. But if they changed the law the motorbike dealer could add a real safety helmet to the total price , A real helmet would cost around 2-3000 baht .

Edited by balo

The funniest or dumbest... up to you, is the dumb assess wearing the cheap helmets and not buckling the strap... make me laugh every time I see it... dumb dumb dumb.

Even funnier are the ones who aren't wearing a helmet but have got an umbrella.

Opaired. Sorry about your friend but his choice his life. And if I decide to ride my bike without a helmet which I do quite often then I would not expect anyone to look after me. My choice my life. Pull the plug.

Probably illegal to do that. Certainly is in most western countries and most likely here as well.

I think everyone who has commented here has good intentions. Some of the suggestions are just culturally unachievable. It is easy to say &lt;deleted&gt; and let Darwin have his way and to a degree fair enough. However carrying young children and babies unprotected on a bike is criminal, despite the Thai belief that the kids owe them, they didn't ask to come into this world and deserve all the protection loving parents should be giving them. The argument, most Thais can not afford a car how else can they transport them, I don't know the answer to this, but it is still wrong. The government should not have to pay for your life support if you are critically injured through lack of safety precautions on your part, your insurance policy will not cover you.

I see police coming out of Chalong police station (Phuket) all the time not wearing a helmet, I have been tempted to sit across the road with a camera but value my life too much! Lead by example!

The real issue is with the police not enforcing the law (as usual), the fine (according to the poster at Karon police station) is 1000 Baht, although that may just be for the benefit of tourists, I am sure there is no double pricing with the law as there is in parks etc. Just keep the bike for 3 weeks and if the fine isn't paid sell it. Oh I forgot, most Thais can't afford that sort of money, so we can't do that. Hmmm isn't a fine supposed to be a deterrent? Isn't that the idea so you are encouraged not to break the law, not just take the chance on paying the (nice, kind) policeman 200 Baht?

Never forget, Thailand is for Thai's (according to the national anthem they had to sing everyday at school) they can do what they want, it's not your country. If you have grown up (in the village or not) with no role model or reason to wear a helmet why should you start now, everyone else does it, why should I be different.

After all it is up to Buddha if you live or if you die.....

Wearing a helmet saved my life twice.

I had one minor accident when not wearing a helmet, 18cm radial skull fracture and concussion put me in the hospital for a week and I lost my olfactory sense. Had two worse accident when wearing a helmet, higher speed, harder impact and slammed my head into the ground at speed and didn't even get a headache, broke six other bones the last time though.

There is an assumption here that wearing a helmet prevents death from motorcycle accidents. Is that a valid assumption?

I went over the top of my bike going very slowly...landed on my head and shoulder in the dirt. Broken collarbone. Fortunately I had on a good helmet or I seriously doubt I would have survived without some serious damage.

If you think it can't happen to you then you may well find out that you are wrong.

Anyway 90% of helmets on sale in Thailand are just useless when riding a motorbike. They look more as bicycle helmets

Even if they wore bicycle helmets, it would be a giant step in the right direction.

For sure a 90.- EUR bicycle (or ski-)helmet would protect you much better than 250 Baht TESCOMotorsaai-Helmet