Internet in Cambodia

Nayet

I am considering moving to Cambodia. My general impression is that the infrastructure, including the Internet, is generally not as reliable in Cambodia as it is in Thailand. Since I need reliable high speed Internet access for my work, I am wondering if moving to Phnom Penh might be a bad idea?

Edited by Nayet

Hi there

I done some research on Cambodia forums as I also plan to move there later on and there are some company that seams to be ok. It cost more then Thailand and not sure about high speed but I think you can get at least stable line. I hope I not break any rule by posting links to some net company here on TV. It also depends were you will live, what area and city. I look to move to Sihanoukville and there are some internet guys there what I read so sure its doable.

I will also send you a pm with links to some real estate for house/apartment and other useful sites to give you more information.

http://www.ezecom.com.kh/en/ezecom-premium

http://www.metfone.com.kh/en/Services/Internet/ADSL.9.aspx

http://www.opennet.com.kh/home/

Edited by INV

I've lived in Phnom Penh for a year and now in BKK for a year, and I'm in a similar boat to you - overseas IT contracting.

Cambodian international internet is a lot faster than Thailand! No I don't have any figures, but whenever I go back there I always notice it straight away. The main International links in Cambodia come via HK - Vietnam. Whereas Thailand goes through Singapore. In particular I never noticed the 'evening slowdown' like we have here in Thailand.

As far as Internet is concerned I would rather be in Cambodia, but there are other things in the mix too so here I am in LOS.

• Like 1

Internet service here in Cambodia can be excellent but the service when things go wrong is abysmal in most instances; two of the country's largest providers left me cut off for the best part of a month each - with no refunds or apologies. I now use a small reseller and pay a big premium but their service rocks and I'm never without net access any more. I do keep a 3G backup (which as no-one here really uses that much mobile data is pretty good) just in case though...

I'll have to second Rob2013's experience. In my many visits, I noticed straight away my multiple-account email checks through Mobitel 3.5G data links are completed within 2-3 seconds. In Thailand, it takes 10-20 seconds. I've even had signal timeouts in Thailand, never in Cambodia. When I lived in Phnom Penh a couple of years ago, I used Mobitel's 3G aircard. It was pretty much always speedy and dependable. In Thailand, I have yet to experience dependable, speedy net connections in the many apartments I've rented.

• Like 2