Little boy works as Bangkok bus conductor (VIDEO)

webfact

Sadly cute: Little boy works as bus conductor (VIDEO)
By Coconuts Bangkok

conductor1.jpg?itok=bykguBqC

BANGKOK: -- The video of a student who looks about 10 working as a bus conductor has been shared and admired by the social network over the weekend for his hardworking spirit.

It’s speculated the boy was helping out his father, who was driving Bus No. 182, after finishing school.

Given the shrug-and-forget-it familiarity with children working in the streets selling flower garlands, none seemed concerned with the issue as illegal child labor.

Only an inspirational quote was posted by the video uploader. "What were you doing when you were his age?" he questions.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/09/15/sadly-cute-little-boy-works-bus-conductor-video

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-09-16

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And now you get all the old boys remarking on back-in-the-day blah blah, yawn. I also did a paper round in early teens but was not obliged to do it. Do you think this little nipper and the other poor unfortunate flower kids have a choice! It's wrong on so many levels and if you can't see it... well never mind, go back to sleep, have another beer etc.

• Like 1

I had part time jobs from the age of 13 or so. There is nothing wrong with it as long as the kids aren't doing anything that endangers their health or well being and they are happy to do the work. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this boy working as a bus conductor. The trouble is with the narrow minded judgements handed down by politically correct morons, especially Westerners. They are brainwashed into thinking a certain way, they think they are right and have a right to lecture and educate, but are usually too dim witted to see the reality and work through the real facts. And whereas there are certainly plenty of victims in the world who do deserve our help and sympathy, these politically correct morons on their high horses are usually too cowardly to give help where it is actually needed, because that would require real effort and maybe a little spine.

For one, it's illegal under Thai law. It's clearly unlawful child labor. The boy should be in school. For those of you who want to romanticize about you jobs in your youth, I suggest that you look at your country's laws on permissible child labor. It's not cute at all.

10 year old children are working everywhere in Thailand after school time.

They help their parents in their job or business. It's how things are done here.

I don't think it's all bad.

The boy probably doesn't go to the finest quality school, so the knowledge he gets from working on the bus might be far more useful than what he gets from school.

At least he'll know how to take care of himself when he grows up, which is in the end is a more admirable thing than being highly educated but unemployed (like many Europeans are).

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 2

At his age ,my brother and i used to go out selling sticks for

firewood,eggs, and potatoes,off a barrow,making as much as

say a factory worker at the time,we did not have to do it,just

to earn money,started young ,so was able to "retire" at 42.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

If the job keeps this child in school and he becomes educated, the job is a gift. Hope to hear more about him and how he is doing in school.

How can it be keeping him in School,it's not a real job his father is just getting him to help out. No doubt he will end up being a bus conductor doing 12 hour shifts.

For one, it's illegal under Thai law. It's clearly unlawful child labor. The boy should be in school. For those of you who want to romanticize about you jobs in your youth, I suggest that you look at your country's laws on permissible child labor. It's not cute at all.

Schools are open in the evening, are they?

It's not clearly anything but it is highly unlikely that a Bangkok bus company or BMA would be employing child labour in such an obvious fashion.

• Like 1

This boy helps to his father (driver of bus), he is not an exploited kid-worker.

This is not a big deal, when I was 10 I helped to my father to work too. I did it cheerfully and I was proud of myself.

But look around at:

- construction areas where you will find many migrant under-age worker to do a specially hard and dangerous job,

- tourist destinations in BKK, where you will find many poor children to use as beggar under the sun without any protection,

- rose sale children, I guess you have seen already,

- massage, karaoke and other "brothels" where you will find many under-age sex-workers, who are full exploited.

child abuse in any civilised country that upholds child protection

Judgement without knowing any of the facts, well done.

10 year old working in an adults job with no training and no health and safety. Strange how the same people who think this is no problem howl when kids are found working in factories in India or some other asian country making clothes for primark or mobile phones.

The report says it is speculated he was helping his dad after school and due to lack of info maybe speculation is all we have.

If he was helping is it any different from children who return home after school and help out in family stalls, restaurants, soi shops etc.?

I wasn't romanticizing about my boyhood jobs and I'm sure Chooka, worgeordie etc were not either.

Without knowing it then I was helping my widowed mother as i didn't take pocket money from her but she was always there if I needed.

i have no idea of laws in my home country these days but am sure they've changed so much and generous welfare payments in some countries probably mean youngsters don't even think about part time jobs.

This boy helps to his father (driver of bus), he is not an exploited kid-worker.

Yes he is being exploited and his health and education not being given priority. In the evening a child of his age should be at home and after a bit of homework (fat chance) should either be playing with friends or resting and not doing an adults job till all hours. Not cute at all.

Of course a Thai will say so what to children being mis treated, but most of them think there is no problem with riding without helmets, drunk driving, having no insurance, chicken fighting, cheating in exams, paying for votes (they say bad until they are offered money) illegal gambling, virtually no health and safety protection when it comes to food, dangerous electrical installations or sub standard education. So what, they just can't be bothered can they!

• Like 1

10years old doing a paper round, does the USA have no child labor laws or is it backward as well?

Yes, the cruel, backwards USA, putting small boys in danger delivering newspapers,...............the horror. Maybe they should be more progressive and get their kids into mainstream jobs like these below. The kid in the original story is probably working part time to help his dad. After all, according to many on TVF, Thailand is a 3rd world country?

post-9891-0-52463000-1410836959_thumb.jppost-9891-0-46501100-1410836962_thumb.jppost-9891-0-83188400-1410836961_thumb.jp

Military training................. construction training....................manufacturing experience.

These careers for kids seem so much more fulfilling, no computer games with guns.

Edited by ratcatcher