700 Poor People Will Be Given Artificial Legs This Month

Jai Dee

700 poor people will be given artificial legs this month

Two charity organizations are helping make artificial legs for 700 poor people to mark the 60th anniversary of His Majesty the King’s accession to the throne.

Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin said the services, jointly provided by the Artificial Legs Foundation under the patronage of Her Royal Highness the Princess Mother and Sathorn Rotary Association at Sanam Luang, will begin today and end on July 25th.

Mr. Apirak said the organizations will go into Guineas Book of World Records for the making of the largest number of artificial legs.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 July 2006

Okay here is one some of you I am sure will relate to. For those of you that have chanced to get off the BTS at Nana you surly have encountered a legless beggar who pushes himself up and down the street on his stomach. His spot is from the stairs nearest soi 7/1 to the escalator on the same side. He does his best to look hopeless and helpless. One day I was walking from a meal on soi 7 and I saw him crossing the road faster that I would I might add. After he crossed the road he sat down and scooted to near his spot at what I would call normal walking speed. As he got closer he slowed down and eventually got on his stomach. I have heard he takes in well over 1000 ThB a day from more than one Thai who works in the area. So the question is, if he was offered a leg for free would he get a real job and stop begging?

Okay here is one some of you I am sure will relate to. For those of you that have chanced to get off the BTS at Nana you surly have encountered a legless beggar who pushes himself up and down the street on his stomach. His spot is from the stairs nearest soi 7/1 to the escalator on the same side. He does his best to look hopeless and helpless. One day I was walking from a meal on soi 7 and I saw him crossing the road faster that I would I might add. After he crossed the road he sat down and scooted to near his spot at what I would call normal walking speed. As he got closer he slowed down and eventually got on his stomach. I have heard he takes in well over 1000 ThB a day from more than one Thai who works in the area. So the question is, if he was offered a leg for free would he get a real job and stop begging?

OK John K, would you put yourself in his shoes, NOT meant to be funny! Seriously, so what that he may get 1K per day, he still has to be on the sidewalk a long hot or raining, day. As I see it [ and Im not blind) he's not guilty of anything, so why do U get all hyped up cause he's "begging"? NONE of your Biz. Have a little sympathey for those that are more unfortuanate than yourself, .....

Flame edited out by the Scouser.

No need to give up his regular job....the legs they are giving out are detachable...just leave it at home on your way to the office and re-install when arriving home again. But just to be sure that I'm not viewed as being totally cynical I do believe that most people in the world who are missing legs are willing to work to support themselves just like everyone else.

It is not that I don’t have sympathy for people that need it, but there is not a thing wrong with him other than he lost his leg. He is in his late 30's and I am sure very capable of doing what ever he did prior to that.

I just despise the ones that play on the sympathy of others that don’t need it. They take from the ones that truly could use a little help.

Trust me he is well off. Don’t forget half the beggars out there work for the local gangs and don’t see the money the collect. Hence the guy who always seems to have new born puppies. He has a bad foot and shows it off to be sure. He keeps non of the cash. When the dogs get to be about 8 weeks old he gets a new set.

Girls who have not even reached puberty with babies. Please open your eyes some, it is an industry based of simpathy.

If I give them anything it is some food, then I know they will get it and not their boss.

700 poor people will be given artificial legs this month

Two charity organizations are helping make artificial legs for 700 poor people to mark the 60th anniversary of His Majesty the King’s accession to the throne.

Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin said the services, jointly provided by the Artificial Legs Foundation under the patronage of Her Royal Highness the Princess Mother and Sathorn Rotary Association at Sanam Luang, will begin today and end on July 25th.

Mr. Apirak said the organizations will go into Guineas Book of World Records for the making of the largest number of artificial legs.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 July 2006

I should think that Cambodia holds the record for the largest number of prostheses made or maybe they came from charitable foundations etc.

Maybe Thaksin should get one, although he's rich, he hasn't got a leg to stand on.

Edited by ratcatcher

No need to give up his regular job....the legs they are giving out are detachable...just leave it at home on your way to the office and re-install when arriving home again. But just to be sure that I'm not viewed as being totally cynical I do believe that most people in the world who are missing legs are willing to work to support themselves just like everyone else.

:o 5555555555555555555555555

Please open your eyes some, it is an industry based of simpathy.

So are most of the world's charities then. You'd be suprised how many people the Peace Corps, United Way, Habitat for Humanity, etc. 'foolishly' help who have perfectly good sets of hands, legs, and feet.

:o