Loved and hated, former PM Thaksin is erased from textbook

webfact

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you seen the latest pictures of him? It's not just the limelight that's fading, he look like he's fading too.

I admit I am biased (based on what) ha ha and agree with you, but he has one of those faces that you can easily detest even if you not know him personally. I may have also---but just saying.

• Like 1

This is not "moving on" in the spirit of reconciliation ..it's just plain silly and childish/child-like. Next they will be wanting to edit the textbooks to say that Thailand was not a Japanese colony during WW2

You preferred Big Ts branof reconciliation amnesty central

Agree totally with 'Upset'. By deleting part of their history, (and supressing free speech), is only sinking the country deeper into military dictatorship where only a few elite rule, a perfect recipe for revolution and many deaths. Again an example of elitist rule so craved by them to the disadvantage of millions of true Thais. 'Happiness for us' a more appropriate phrase.

Agree totally with 'Upset'. By deleting part of their history, (and supressing free speech), is only sinking the country deeper into military dictatorship where only a few elite rule, a perfect recipe for revolution and many deaths. Again an example of elitist rule so craved by them to the disadvantage of millions of true Thais. 'Happiness for us' a more appropriate phrase.

History is history bad or good--we learn from it. Thaksin should always be part of it, BUT update the history into todays events, with new revealed facts and only then people can make their own minds on good or bad.

Any school history books written for schools should be edited as they will show only any good he did. MAYBE this is what is lost in the translation.

• Like 1

But why on earth did majority of thais voted for his party or his so called proxy party over and over again. You can't be that evil if people keep on choosing you to lead them. Maybe it is the side that is in power now that is evil.

I myself hate Thaksin and his political party but history should not be distorted, people need to know the truth . It was the failure and corruption of all the Politicians from all camps , the PheuThai, The Democrats, Banharn, Newin, Chavalit, etc and a failure of the education system that lead thailand to be in a shameful state of being without democracy and being ruled by a military junta and a few elites.

Just omitting the name Thaksin is not the way .

I fear of what the future holds for Thailand.

First I thought maybe better to tell truth and write a chapter on his corruption stealing vile acts and that of his scum red shirt thugs but better this way for several reasons

1. Most of Thais are not educated enough to understand and some even if they understand still love him even though he is a megalomaniac would be dictator on par with Stalin, Saddam, Mugabwie and Hitler and they all had and have lots of devoted followers.

2. The libel laws here are such that even if it’s the proven truth you can be sued and loose

3. If history books showed truth (that is hes a vile monster) why give him and those silly folk opposed to military rule the chance to cry foul even though it would all be true. No better to ignore him.

So army have probably been quite clever here and sooner he is wiped away not only from history but from whole scene the sooner Thailand can mend.

The junta can do no wrong in the eyes of some posters.

• Like 1

But why on earth did majority of thais voted for his party or his so called proxy party over and over again. You can't be that evil if people keep on choosing you to lead them. Maybe it is the side that is in power now that is evil.

Newbie recruit, ?? You have a point normally but forget his motives. Joining the minority of posters who believe that the majority of posters are biased.

I like this part:

"Without mentioning either sibling, the textbook does touch on the opposition to Mr. Thaksin’s rule. A subheading describes the protests that preceded his ouster as “the people’s movement against dictatorial power, corruption and embezzlement.”"

So the glorious people's movement removed a dictatorial government and replaced it with, um....

But the important thing is that people will now live happily ever after, provided they keep their mouths shut, and don't work in the tourist industry, and aren't caught up in a morality crusade, and aren't interested in an elected government.

Expected response from your savior, denial 100% All about him is wonderful cannot be faulted Thailand misses his corrupt non governing government.

The control freak will always be there as his mega billions will help him stay in the limelight he loves, but that is fading and with that he has to pay out more and more to keep biting.

Note that I did not write anything in my post about Thaksin or the government that the military toppled, I merely pointed out that there are some problems with the current situation. You took offense because, in your mind, all about the junta "is wonderful and cannot be faulted".

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

I myself hate Thaksin and his political party but history should not be distorted, people need to know the truth . It was the failure and corruption of all the Politicians from all camps , the PheuThai, The Democrats, Banharn, Newin, Chavalit, etc and a failure of the education system that lead thailand to be in a shameful state of being without democracy and being ruled by a military junta and a few elites.

First I thought maybe better to tell truth and write a chapter on his corruption stealing vile acts and that of his scum red shirt thugs but better this way for several reasons

1. Most of Thais are not educated enough to understand and some even if they understand still love him even though he is a megalomaniac would be dictator on par with Stalin, Saddam, Mugabwie and Hitler and they all had and have lots of devoted followers.

2. The libel laws here are such that even if it’s the proven truth you can be sued and loose

3. If history books showed truth (that is hes a vile monster) why give him and those silly folk opposed to military rule the chance to cry foul even though it would all be true. No better to ignore him.

So army have probably been quite clever here and sooner he is wiped away not only from history but from whole scene the sooner Thailand can mend.

5555555 ha ha MOST posters you should say.

• Like 1

I beg to differ Mr Bruce when you talk about politics in Thailand it is always about military intervention. Since the end of ww2 there are 16 new or old constitution or charter being amended and yet none of the political icon lasted for long only the monarch. So even an uneducated people can see this.
  • Like 1

I like this part:

"Without mentioning either sibling, the textbook does touch on the opposition to Mr. Thaksin’s rule. A subheading describes the protests that preceded his ouster as “the people’s movement against dictatorial power, corruption and embezzlement.”"

So the glorious people's movement removed a dictatorial government and replaced it with, um....

But the important thing is that people will now live happily ever after, provided they keep their mouths shut, and don't work in the tourist industry, and aren't caught up in a morality crusade, and aren't interested in an elected government.

Expected response from your savior, denial 100% All about him is wonderful cannot be faulted Thailand misses his corrupt non governing government.

The control freak will always be there as his mega billions will help him stay in the limelight he loves, but that is fading and with that he has to pay out more and more to keep biting.

Note that I did not write anything in my post about Thaksin or the government that the military toppled, I merely pointed out that there are some problems with the current situation. You took offense because, in your mind, all about the junta is wonderful and cannot be faulted.

Your last sentence is totally wrong. Your taking offence because of the new set up, I am going along with the rights and wrongs.

PTP wrongs outweighed the rights. The PM now, his rights outway the wrongs----easy if you look at the truth.

History is history bad or good--we learn from it. Thaksin should always be part of it, BUT update the history into todays events, with new revealed facts and only then people can make their own minds on good or bad.

Any school history books written for schools should be edited as they will show only any good he did. MAYBE this is what is lost in the translation.

Crikey ginjag, I agree with something you have written. I need to go and lay down. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Off topic posts and replies have been removed.

Posts containing comments that could be construed as being negative toward the imposition of Martial Law or the Junta have been removed and will continue to be removed. Perhaps some members need to read these notices again:

URGENT NOTICE TO MEMBERS Zero tolerance for disruptive behaviour during Martial Law.

Thailand...

History is erased out of schoolbooks because a military dictatorship doesnt like a person.

Free Happiness Movies and popcorn are given to people in the weeks following a military coup.

Hundreds of bombs and guns magically appear after a coup.

The head military guy believes in wearing rings to keep ghosts away.

The military crew try's to hold a former PM personably responsible for farmers putting crap in bags and passing it off as rice.

The military junta lets the single person responsible for 6 months of complete government shutdown and chaos to enter the monk hood thereby relieving him of his sins. Where's Suthep?

Blackshirts who are accused of deaths from many years back, are suddenly caught in the same black suits.

Upgrade to highspeed train service in the largest northern city of Chiang Mai is cancelled and rerouted to another much smaller town after a bunch of military generals said not needed.

Military generals say that corruption was caused by the redshirts and it needs must stop.

Constitution and entire government is thrown out for the 8th time by military generals.

The military government centralizes and decides what will be the new school curriculum for the entire country.

This is just some of the incredibly ridiculous things the military boys have started in Thailand.

Please feel free to add all the things I have forgotten.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I like this part:

Note that I did not write anything in my post about Thaksin or the government that the military toppled, I merely pointed out that there are some problems with the current situation. You took offense because, in your mind, all about the junta is wonderful and cannot be faulted.

Your last sentence is totally wrong. Your taking offence because of the new set up, I am going along with the rights and wrongs.

PTP wrongs outweighed the rights. The PM now, his rights outway the wrongs----easy if you look at the truth.

Apparently something that was very strongly implied was missed by you. I'll spell it out. You were totally wrong when you wrote:

"Expected response from your savior, denial 100% All about him is wonderful cannot be faulted Thailand misses his corrupt non governing government."

I wrote nothing in this post about Thaksin or the government toppled by coup. I have never in any of my posts described Thaksin as a savior and I have written about many failures and flaws in Shinawatra related governments. Find references from my prior posts to support your claims or stop slandering me.

You claim I was wrong when I wrote:

"You took offense because, in your mind, all about the junta is wonderful and cannot be faulted."

How is that wrong? When have you ever tolerated criticism of the junta? Before the history books were edited, when have you even suggested the junta got anything wrong?

You are correct in one regard, I do take offense at the new set up, with restrictions on freedom of speech and association, censorship of the press, bans on calls for elections or criticism of the junta, and now editing of history books. These are some of the things you go along with, is that because you consider them right?

5555555 ha ha MOST posters you should say.

Thankfully heybruce is part of a minority group !

• Like 1

Glad they dropped the "Dr". That thing wouldn't know a doctorate if it jumped up and bit him on the arrrrse.

And you place yourself in the position to judge academic degrees being awarded? He holds an earned Doctorate. If you want to attack the institution awarding the degree, have at it. Please do submit a coherent argument if you wish those who think to pay attention.

I think a more important point is the rewriting of history a la "1984". Leaving him completely out of Thai history? Ridiculously flawed and not adding to Thai students world view. Like him or despise him, Dr. Thaksin moved Thai society on several fronts. Now to see if the Genie can be put back in the bottle. My guess is...not, never mind rewriting history to wipe out memory of his existence.

• Like 1

I like this part:

"Without mentioning either sibling, the textbook does touch on the opposition to Mr. Thaksins rule. A subheading describes the protests that preceded his ouster as the peoples movement against dictatorial power, corruption and embezzlement."

Apparently something that was very strongly implied was missed by you. I'll spell it out. You were totally wrong when you wrote:

"Expected response from your savior, denial 100% All about him is wonderful cannot be faulted Thailand misses his corrupt non governing government."

I wrote nothing in this post about Thaksin or the government toppled by coup. I have never in any of my posts described Thaksin as a savior and I have written about many failures and flaws in Shinawatra related governments. Find references from my prior posts to support your claims or stop slandering me.

"You took offense because, in your mind, all about the junta is wonderful and cannot be faulted."

How is that wrong? When have you ever tolerated criticism of the junta? Before the history books were edited, when have you even suggested the junta got anything wrong?

You are correct in one regard, I do take offense at the new set up, with restrictions on freedom of speech and association, censorship of the press, bans on calls for elections or criticism of the junta, and now editing of history books. These are some of the things you go along with, is that because you consider them right?

Jai, yen yen. Remember where we live. Could be a knock at the door!

What you call "the truth" reads more like an opinion to me. The truth should be facts, not your judgement if the rights outweight the wrongs.

And i can understand how a foreigner thinks the rights of the current pm outweight the wrongs as your voting rights are not touched and when things go wrong (and they will as people would like to have a say in their own future at some point) you can always leave to the next country.

Edited by Bob12345
  • Like 1

HEY, You have to read my past posts since the intervention, I have used constructive criticism on occasions, as I am for good governance ( my past work). I had zero toleration of Thaksin/PTP as being trained to smell a rat, I could.

So your quote about "you took offence bla bla ) is a porky pie my friend. If you are lazy to look back at posts your problem but not tell porkies.

I criticized the History re schools, and corrected it with my version saying it should be shown and updated so all the new history is there for people to learn these last 3 years should be shown, him abroad running the PM job for his sister.

satisfied with that ??? good governance---is the most important thing, NOT elections because it suits--or Thai style democracy--- I support now because the rights far out way the wrongs----if you deny that you have a problem.

• Like 2

What you call "the truth" reads more like an opinion to me. The truth should be facts, not your judgement if the rights outweight the wrongs.

And i can understand how a foreigner thinks the rights of the current pm outweight the wrongs as your voting rights are not touched and when things go wrong (and they will as people would like to have a say in their own future at some point) you can always leave to the next country.

When you live here you form an opinion, I do not form it only from TVF. We here communicate share views, we have no vote power but some TVF posters will push their views to Thai family members some small influence.

My views of the intervention, PM. are pretty sound, much more integrity than the last elected government. Now is the time when Thais can know more information from the PTP regime, so most of red is more revealed and hopefully they can vote next time with knowledge rather than be brainwashed.

Good, bad; Right, wrong: History is history and should be written as such.

Revisionist History is unconscionable, and should be labeled as the garbage that it is. But -- to the victors goes the spoils. Even in this day and age. Sad!