Thammasat University bans annual commemoration of 1976 student massacre

webfact

University Bans Annual Commemoration of 1976 Student Massacre
By Khaosod English

14108707011410871060l.jpg
The public commemorating the 6 Oct 1976 massacre of student activists at Thammasat University on 6 Oct, 2013.

BANGKOK — Thammasat University's administrators have preemptively banned any political events commemorating the 1976 massacre that took place inside the university on 6 October, presumably to comply with the military junta’s ban on all political activities.

The October 6th Massacre is traditionally commemorated by activists and survivors of the incident at Thammasat's Tha Prachan campus. In previous years the event has featured religious ceremonies dedicated to the dead, political exhibitions, and academic seminars about the massacre.

But this year's anniversary will only feature religious ceremonies, per orders from the university administrators, said Wipha Dawanee, a Thammasat lecturer who has been the main organiser of the October 6th commemoration event since 1996.

"We were told not to have any [political] discussions, and we are not allowed to use the university's auditorium," Ms. Wipha said.

Nakarin Mektrairat, deputy rector of Thammasat University, told Voice TV that the ban on political activities is necessary because “in previous years there have been [activities] that caused problems and division.”

Public demonstrations are currently banned under orders from Thailand's military junta, known as the National Council For Peace and Order, which seized power in a coup d'etat on 22 May, 2014.

On 6 October, 1976, security forces and right-wing militants stormed Thammasat Univeristy and attacked several thousand student activists who were protesting the return of a former military dictator.

The massacre was notable for the brutal death of some activists, including one student who was lynched and beaten with a chair. Forty-six people died in the crackdown according to official figures, though historians believe the number of casualties was much higher.

Piyarath Chongthep, a core activist in the Thai Student Centre for Democracy (TSCD), said his group initially planned to hold panel discussions this 6 October, "like previous years," but was informed a few days ago that political events were prohibited.

"Some people still want to organise the event, but right now we have to wait to hear opinions from other groups too," Mr. Piyarath said.

Though traditionally regarded as a mainstay of the democratic movement in Thailand, Thammasat University has come under criticism in recent years for a string of conservative, pro-establishment administrators.

The current rector, Somkit Lertpaithoon, has recently been targeted by Thammasat student activists for his support of the 22 May coup that toppled the elected government, and for his appointment as a member of the junta’s National Legislative Assembly (NLA).

The October 6th Massacre remains a sensitive topic in present-day Thailand. Many state-approved school textbooks omit both the massacre and the preceding 1973 student uprising.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1410870701&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-09-17

Tear the pages from the books,mute all the witnesses,gainsay& deny. young Thais deserve a lot more,let's hope the truth will out.

The ignorant mind, with its infinite afflictions, passions, and evils, is rooted in the three poisons. Greed, anger, and delusion.

Bodhidharma

• Like 1

Maxme post # 3

Ah, this is all according to plan. Wonder what the junta followers response is to this.

The October 6th Massacre remains a sensitive topic in present-day Thailand. Many state-approved school textbooks omit both the massacre and the preceding 1973 student uprising.

I think if you read the second quote you might see that the present junta is not responsible for the ongoing dilution of the truth over the years. All of the previous administrations have the taint of guilt on them regarding their inaction and inability or unwillingness to let the full facts be known.

Maxme post # 3

Ah, this is all according to plan. Wonder what the junta followers response is to this.

I think if you read the second quote you might see that the present junta is not responsible for the ongoing dilution of the truth over the years. All of the previous administrations have the taint of guilt on them regarding their inaction and inability or unwillingness to let the full facts be known.

"All of the previous administrations have the taint of guilt on them".

The junta is part of the order that ordered the massacre, the current members may not have ordered it but they are part of that same group.

Or do you want to retract your previous statements that all the PTP members and their followers are either corrupt or part of the problem. You can't have it both ways.

Edited by maxme
  • Like 2

maxme post # 6

The junta is part of the order that ordered the massacre, the current members may not have ordered it but they are part of that same group.

Or do you want to retract your previous statements that all the PTP members and their followers are either corrupt or part of the problem. You can't have it both ways.

Indeed a wonderfully oblique ambiguous comment designed to whitewash the previous administration. Alice in blunderland strikes or rather writes again.

By your standards then we are still guilty of crimes that may have been committed by our ancestors many years ago.

• Like 1

Political gatherigns are banned, period.

Good or bad that is what it is and I don't see anything pointing out at this particular one being singled out by the Junta.

It's funny you should present that argument because ex Thaksin puppet PM Samak was, in fact, part of the massacre (as in instigating it)

• Like 2

Good or bad that is what it is and I don't see anything pointing out at this particular one being singled out by the Junta.

It's funny you should present that argument because ex Thaksin puppet PM Samak was, in fact, part of the massacre (as in instigating it)

It was a military coup, had nothing to do with Thaksin. Please refrain from replying to my posts again as I only speak to reasonable and not indoctrinated people.

But nice spinning btw, trying to divert from the original topic. Something you are quite good at.

• Like 1

However, those peace loving muslims were allowed to protest in Bangkok a few weeks ago!!

It was a military coup, had nothing to do with Thaksin. Please refrain from replying to my posts again as I only speak to reasonable and not indoctrinated people.

But nice spinning btw, trying to divert from the original topic. Something you are quite good at.

You are just flinging baseless accusations, doesn't sound very reasonable to me.

The Thai military of the 2010s is not the same as the Thai military of the 1970s, in their politics or actions.

Just as I do not blame my ancestors for the genocide they commited against Aboriginal Australians in the past, I do not blame the current military for the actions the military undertook in the 1960s and 1970s.

"Thammasat University's administrators have preemptively banned any political events commemorating the 1976 massacre that took place inside the university on 6 October, presumably to comply with the military junta’s ban on all political activities." - it will be interesting to see whether the "administrators" will be "asked" to reverse their decision by those with power.

• Like 1

maxme post # 12

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You are the spin doctor. There was no mention of Thaksin in my post, you were the character who introduced your Messiah Shinwatra into the thread.

maxme post # 12

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You are the spin doctor. There was no mention of Thaksin in my post, you were the character who introduced your Messiah Shinwatra into the thread.

There was no mention. But the Thaksin link with military coup is quite obvious.

Edited by chotthee

He was not a part of the massacre.Samak an ardent royalist was on the sidelines although his comments were certainly reprehensible.You should - though of course you never will -focus on the main players in the massacre - the thugs that participated and the entrenched feudal/military elites that supported/ funded the bloodshed -more or less the same types that backed the mob protests that led to the current Junta.

• Like 1

You are just flinging baseless accusations, doesn't sound very reasonable to me.

And you are...

He was not a part of the massacre.Samak an ardent royalist was on the sidelines although his comments were certainly reprehensible.You should - though of course you never will -focus on the main players in the massacre - the thugs that participated and the entrenched feudal/military elites that supported/ funded the bloodshed -more or less the same types that backed the mob protests that led to the current Junta.

You should not make assumptions about other people, you only display your prejudices when you do.

And you are...

... capable of constructing an argument not based on dogma.

You could try it.

You should not make assumptions about other people, you only display your prejudices when you do.

We all have our prejudices but my post you refer to dealt entirely with facts (all verifiable) except the part where I posited that there are some who will never be honest about the institutions who backed the Thammasat massacre.

• Like 1

We all have our prejudices but my post you refer to dealt entirely with facts (all verifiable) except the part where I posited that there are some who will never be honest about the institutions who backed the Thammasat massacre.

Entirely verifiable facts, right?

the thugs that participated and the entrenched feudal/military elites that supported/ funded the bloodshed -more or less the same types that backed the mob protests that led to the current Junta.

That is a "verifiable fact" to you? Because it sounds more like a (self-serving) opinion to me.

And please do tell, who are these people that "will never be honest about the institutions who backed the Thammasat massacre"?

• Like 1

the thugs that participated and the entrenched feudal/military elites that supported/ funded the bloodshed -more or less the same types that backed the mob protests that led to the current Junta.

That is a "verifiable fact" to you? Because it sounds more like a (self-serving) opinion to me.

And please do tell, who are these people that "will never be honest about the institutions who backed the Thammasat massacre"?

Yes there is a great deal of evidence available about the events of 1976,how the tragedy at Thammasat came about, who participated, how they were mobilised, who financed them and who encouraged them.

I do not suggest dishonesty among the ignorant because they lack the intelligence (in both senses of the word) to make a judgement.I do however suggest dishonesty among those who know the facts but ignore them.I have no idea or interest in which category you fall.

Edited by jayboy

Yes there is a great deal of evidence available about the events of 1976,how the tragedy at Thammasat came about, who participated, how they were mobilised, who financed them and who encouraged them.

I do not suggest dishonesty among the ignorant because they lack the intelligence (in both senses of the word) to make a judgement.I do however suggest dishonesty among those who know the facts but ignore them.I have no idea or interest in which category you fall.

Right on cue, the "you are all too stupid to be bothered with" parting shot.

If you can't summon enough of a spine to actually articulate who you are talking about when you say "there are some who will never be honest about the institutions who backed the Thammasat massacre." you should refrain from assuming an air of superiority over others.

Just as I do not blame my ancestors for the genocide they commited against Aboriginal Australians in the past, I do not blame the current military for the actions the military undertook in the 1960s and 1970s.

Not quite sure what you're saying as it doesn't make much sense to me.

" I do not blame my ancestors for the genocide they commited against Aboriginal Australians in the past ..."

Does that mean you approve of your ancestors genocide against Aboriginal Australians?

Who do you blame for past atrocities if not the ancestors?

Sure you can't blame our present or future generation as you say,

" I do not blame the current military for the actions the military undertook in the 1960s and 1970s."

unless of course, they still approve of past atrocities and try to silence the ones who still remember.

• Like 2

Right on cue, the "you are all too stupid to be bothered with" parting shot.

If you can't summon enough of a spine to actually articulate who you are talking about when you say "there are some who will never be honest about the institutions who backed the Thammasat massacre." you should refrain from assuming an air of superiority over others.

And you have not summoned enough of your evidence. Because there isn't any.

All you have done like most of the sheep is name calling and making false assumptions. Perhaps you should step up to the task of providing some evidence of the Thaksin/Samak link or is this just drivel like usual?

Edited by maxme

All you have done like most of the sheep is name calling and false assumptions. Perhaps you should step up to the task of providing some evidence of the Thaksin/Samak link or is this just drivel like usual?

Why would I want to argue your point for you? You remember how this started? do you remember what you wrote?

The onus is on you to provide an argument to support your assertion.

Hint: calling me unreasonable, indoctrinated and a sheep does nothing to advance your argument. (It does make you look hypocritical when accusing me of name calling though)

You also wrote:

So what is it? Guilt by association (where the association can be stretched as far as you see fit) is a valid argument or not?

Since in your first paragraph you clearly think it is a valid argument then you are displaying a clear double standard regarding PTP, you want to have it both ways.

You also seem very upset about people talking about PTP and Thaksin when it was you that brought them into the topic.

What I found very funny is that you would use this occasion to defend PTP/Thaksin without knowing/realizing that Thaksin had Samak as a not-so-pliable puppet PM, when Samak himself was one of the instigators of the massacre, calling for the students to be killed.

You don't see the irony? I do, it's hilarious to see people being hoisted by their own petards.

• Like 1

All you have done like most of the sheep is name calling and false assumptions. Perhaps you should step up to the task of providing some evidence of the Thaksin/Samak link or is this just drivel like usual?

Why would I want to argue your point for you? You remember how this started? do you remember what you wrote?

The onus is on you to provide an argument to support your assertion.

Hint: calling me unreasonable, indoctrinated and a sheep does nothing to advance your argument. (It does make you look hypocritical when accusing me of name calling though)

You also wrote:

So what is it? Guilt by association (where the association can be stretched as far as you see fit) is a valid argument or not?

Since in your first paragraph you clearly think it is a valid argument then you are displaying a clear double standard regarding PTP, you want to have it both ways.

You also seem very upset about people talking about PTP and Thaksin when it was you that brought them into the topic.

What I found very funny is that you would use this occasion to defend PTP/Thaksin without knowing/realizing that Thaksin had Samak as a not-so-pliable puppet PM, when Samak himself was one of the instigators of the massacre, calling for the students to be killed.

You don't see the irony? I do, it's hilarious to see people being hoisted by their own petards.

You're right it's fruitless to argue, so I'll get to the point. Show me the statement where I defend Thaksin or Samak and then you can say "I told you so".

• Like 1