My Thai Customs Adventure

The Skipper

I'll never figure out the rules* of how it works ...

Let's say, there are rules, although Thai - rules.

The best choice IMHO is parcel post. If it is not obviously valuable most parcel get through without inspections and end up at your doorsteps. (OK, there are cases where customs steps in and decides on duty)

If it comes in by a courier company, customs automatically will decide, the shipment must be valuable, otherwise, whyuse expensive service?

If it is a commercial shipment with proper invoice attached, the officer might accept the invoice, or decides undervalued and does an own estimation. Here the problem comes again, the officer decides on the value and the officers job is, to collect duty. S/he might as well base on previous shipments. The estimate is always to reflect a landed value, i.e. value of the goods, plus courrier or postal charges plus insurance premium and handling fee. Based on this the customs tariff shows a percentage for duty and on top you pay 7% for VAT.

Generally, I say, don't use post or courier, but have somebody to handcarry. If not, use the postal service. If courier and duty involved, ask for an official duty receipt, although they still will charge for customs clearance.

It is not simply a matter of money. It is a matter of standing firm on principle. I admire the Skippers perseverance.

I agree--hang in there, Skipper! (But face it, you may never get your package).

Likewise the OP's post just had me narrowly avert having a trunkful of snapshots and scrapbooks sent to me from the States. Simply sentimental value, but not worth a baht to anyone else (except the...Cargo Mafia, you called it?).

I think my sentimentality can wait for my next visit home. :o

Edited by toptuan

It is not simply a matter of money. It is a matter of standing firm on principle. I admire the Skippers perseverance.

I agree--hang in there, Skipper! (But face it, you may never get your package).

Likewise the OP's post just had me narrowly avert having a trunkful of snapshots and scrapbooks sent to me from the States. Simply sentimental value, but not worth a baht to anyone else (except the...Cargo Mafia, you called it?).

I think my sentimentality can wait for my next visit home. :D

Good idea. My brother just sent me a photo album of there kid from birth to now (as I'm in Thailand and have missed out on seeing him grow up). Cheeky customs charged me 8 baht to get it........most ridiculous charge I've ever seen.....I mean whats the point in 8 baht duty. It probably cost them more to send me the notification informing me to pay!!!!!!!

This was sent through normal post btw :o

How ironic.

While I was being jerked around at Customs, Seagate INC sent out a press release stating they will be building their new 40billion facility in Malaysia, Not Thailand.

Seagate is about the largest employer in Thailand.(hardrives)

The article stated that one obstacle was the lack of clear customs procedures.

Customs was one of the reasons for the pullout.

Alot of companies are moving operations just because they are tired of the nonsense.

40 billion down the drain.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/18Jul2006_biz01.php

How ironic.

While I was being jerked around at Customs, Seagate INC sent out a press release stating they will be building their new 40billion facility in Malaysia, Not Thailand.

Alot of companies are moving operations just because they are tired of the nonsense.

That may have well been a part of the problem,but the 'incentives' offered by Malaysia may be the biggest part.However, for it to be mentioned in the BKK Post, it must have been enough to greatly piss off Seagate.When will they learn?

Let's say, there are rules, although Thai - rules.

The best choice IMHO is parcel post. If it is not obviously valuable most parcel get through without inspections and end up at your doorsteps. (OK, there are cases where customs steps in and decides on duty)

If it comes in by a courier company, customs automatically will decide, the shipment must be valuable, otherwise, whyuse expensive service?

If it is a commercial shipment with proper invoice attached, the officer might accept the invoice, or decides undervalued and does an own estimation. Here the problem comes again, the officer decides on the value and the officers job is, to collect duty. S/he might as well base on previous shipments. The estimate is always to reflect a landed value, i.e. value of the goods, plus courrier or postal charges plus insurance premium and handling fee. Based on this the customs tariff shows a percentage for duty and on top you pay 7% for VAT.

Generally, I say, don't use post or courier, but have somebody to handcarry. If not, use the postal service. If courier and duty involved, ask for an official duty receipt, although they still will charge for customs clearance.

Axel.

You seem to know an awful lot. But I do not understand the purpose of your post.

Is Skipper right to challenge the charge of 80000THB?.

...When will they learn?

Never, some 16 years ago a lot of Taiwan-companies moved out from Thailand fo runclear customs procedures.

An acquaintance moved his production to the Philippines. They have been making plush toys under licence of European TV-companies. Everything clear for BoI but for the glass-eyes they finally had to hand carry from Hong Kong paying for weekly first class air ticket (talking about 60-70 kgs), over weight charge and 'duties' paid at Don Muang.

Recently in the paper it was stated I think that customs officials at all ports were reported to have earned around 400million baht this last year. All in the types of charges mentioned here, not really official ones.

One official was heard to say...how can you call a gift from someone to a customs official for say xmas or new year as a bribe..

...When will they learn?

Never, some 16 years ago a lot of Taiwan-companies moved out from Thailand fo runclear customs procedures.

An acquaintance moved his production to the Philippines. They have been making plush toys under licence of European TV-companies. Everything clear for BoI but for the glass-eyes they finally had to hand carry from Hong Kong paying for weekly first class air ticket (talking about 60-70 kgs), over weight charge and 'duties' paid at Don Muang.

Axel.

You seem to know an awful lot. But I do not understand the purpose of your post.

How ironic.

Som nam naa

Reap what you sow.

I had similar problem when my father sent me papers from Canada UPS it was only an envelope and they wanted 2000 baht. Told them to stuff it up their you know what, wasn't that important. They tried phoning back I hung up and that was my last ever dealing with UPs. I travel between the UK and Thailand every three weeks so I have things sent there and hand carry here. I even have had friends in Thailand have their documents sent to me and I have my neighbor deliver them in his taxi.

Edited by Sakeopete

Axel.

Yes, 8000 is too much. If you employ a customs broker, the minimum-handling fee would be around Baht 3-3500. Add to this duty and tax, as paid, plus addiditional handling/delivery to downtown.

My duty free BOX is in my apartment.

Long day.

Those dock workers are real pieces of work.

They wanted 15,000bt to get it today!

I said forget it. Keep it or send it back.It's old stuff I really don't even need.

Ok, Ok, Ok, maybe thru the back door, how much can you pay?

I said I brought 5.000bt with me.

They kept coming back to me in the waiting area trying to get another 200bt or 500bt with all kinds of extra handling fees, tips to open doors, grease some palms, tip the forklift guy, even 200bt for the guy with the screwdriver, hire a truck.

A real buggering.

The guy says "this is thailand" and I said, hey, the Kings does not approve of this corruption. He almost went into tears, I think.

The truckdriver ended up being a real nice guy, had a nice ride back.

So the total cost to my door?

Yea, you guessed it, about 8,000.

Now, I read in the Post the other day that Japan is downgrading the country to "philippine" status for investing.

1000's other companies will be re evaluating investment plans for Thailand too.

The important thing is that, big gold chain, that my dock worker is wearing.

Now, off I go to the Thai Air Cargo office where the pleasant but useless Mr. Boonchai still sitting there and he tells me the Official Customs Officer is too busy to speak with Farang, come back tomorrow!

Nice to have racism and corruption all in the one place, huh. One-stop shopping for foreigner abuse. Something the two-week tourists don't see in the Land of Smiles (smiles because they know they're ripping you off).

Lost $89 shipment of underwear shipped through postal service.1 tax form and 1 credit card sent Fedx 876Baht duty.Last year,3 tax forms and 3 credit cards sent UPS,no duty charges.Hard to figure out what service to use.It seems to be centered around customs, not the companies.

Axel.

Yes, 8000 is too much. If you employ a customs broker, the minimum-handling fee would be around Baht 3-3500. Add to this duty and tax, as paid, plus addiditional handling/delivery to downtown.

I respect that this is Thailand and that corruption does not go away overnight, but this whole business seems way, way over the top. I hope somebody with enough influence to change things will step in and sort out this mess soon.

Axel.

I respect that this is Thailand and that corruption does not go away overnight, but this whole business seems way, way over the top. I hope somebody with enough influence to change things will step in and sort out this mess soon.

Only if they get a piece of the take....