British backpacker arrested for suspected murder of fellow Britons at Koh Tao

webfact

Is it possible to determine ethnic background from DNA sample?

I doubt anything but preliminary results are back yet and probably just from select blood and semen (which will probably turn out to be from the victim) there is absolutely nothing to indicate the assailant would leave his DNA on the victims. If the hoe was the murder weapon then they might get DNA off of it but it would be a process and have to weed through others whose DNA might be on it who handled the hoe. Despite earlier reports of possible rape, it is very doubtful rape was committed. If reports are accurate, what will be interesting is the DNA results from the blood supposedly found on a clothing article found in the friends suitcase he had when he was trying to board a plane out of the country.

But to answer your question, yes they can get an idea of ethnicity from complete DNA testing ... assuming they have DNA left behind by the person(s) who did this.

My understanding is that ethnicity can be established by DNA, but only to a degree. And we're always talking about probabilities... certain DNA markers are much more common in some groups than others, but there is no guarantee. We can definitely distinguish between European and Asian DNA, and can, with somewhat less certainty, even distinguish between E Asian and SE Asian DNA. When you start trying to distinguish between, let's say, Burmese and Thai, it gets a lot less certain. It depends on how much mixing there has been between the populations in general, the individual's own personal ancestry (for example, is he 'mixed'), and the quality/comprehensiveness of the databases against which the markers are compared. It's not so easy to distinguish (on the basis of DNA) between French and Germans, but much easier to distinguish western Europeans from eastern Europeans.

My understanding is also that the databases available for SE Asian populations are not very comprehensive. If the perp is SE Asian, a finer grained analysis may not be possible... and the Burmese may end up being rounded up again for more direct individual matching.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chang Mai you are probably one of those 70 year old farang who came to Thailand because he hated the "political correctness" back home. I am thankful that my daughter has the opportunity to live legally and freely in a country where the mysoginistic ideologies you have expressed are no longer the accepted norm.

My motive for being here and your daughters life, have nothing to do with the subject matter!

• Like 1

Good to hear the Burmese were cleared. For quick closure I hope the evidence ends with the backpacker. Less damage to Thailand's identity for visitors. At least every inch of a break that Thailand gets now is a good break.

One of the most ridiculous comments I've read on this site in a while. Screw Thailand's identity, as you call it. A lot of bad things have gone on here of late and the locals are capable of unspeakable evil. If indeed it was them behind this, then the place deserves to get dragged through the mud after the way all n sundry have carried on, including the 'PM'. I would be very surprised if a westerner did this, not because I am one but because of the type of murder. It has local gang violence written all over it. The hoe is a huge giveaway.

It also makes me cringe the way this has made big news in the Thai media, but absolutely no mention of Thais being taken in, nothing but 'a Thai person couldn't possibly have done this' blah blah. Yuck!! This place will eventually dig its own grave by ending up on all sorts of gov advisories.

Why is the statement ridiculous? What do you expect? Why would it be big news in Thailand?

It would make 'big news' in Thailand because a few bad apples have just f*cked with the livelihoods of many.

Under the circumstances, with the investigators now back at zero with lack of so called DNA evidence leading to an arrest, both the families of the victims and the island itself are suffering from the wake of this heinous crime. But until the facts point to the locals there shouldn't be a jump on them until then. If it were the locals, then yes, drag them through the streets in front of the eyes of the world.

I am also wondering if a foreigner could have done this as you suggest. Because we all know that crimes by foreigners in Thailand only equate to pedophilia, running from child support, and ATM scams.

And with your expert forensic background, we are so happy to know that the presence of a hoe means it was indeed gang violence. Because we all know that gangs roaming the streets of Thailand all have hoes hanging through their belt loops.

If you despise the country enough to say 'screw Thailand's identity' why are you even on this site? Get out of here. Obviously foreigners still find Thailand worthy of a visit or residence.

• Like 1

Article in NZ Herald today

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11326687

Without wanting to raise the temp too much here, it raises an interesting point

Charles, a 27-year-old who runs his own events company in London, recalls the sun rising on one such party in Koh Phangan. "There was this English couple who were having sex in the water, which was obviously incredibly disrespectful to the locals, but everybody went nuts. One Thai guy ran in there and just started attacking the man, then about 20 others followed and beat the absolute hell out of him, to the point where he was lifeless and face-down in the water. These Thai people came and drove a pick-up truck on to the beach, and then they just threw him into the back of it and drove off.

Irrespective of who committed a crime like this, in whatever country, it would not reflect well on that country especially if the police and local authorities are seen as incompetent or corrupt.

Thank you for your interesting article.

This does have relevance to the current case.

It might well explain motive.

How is it relevant? What was the motive? Bear in mind, they moved out of the public eye. Mostly likely they were followed by men with ill intentions. Bear in mind that different sperm samples were found inside the unfortunate girl.

His article highlighted anger at westerners being intimate in their public domain.

And though i understand your point ""then why would they rape?" (with regard to semen samples)

Thais often show hypocrisy.

I have seen Thais who have a stake in a 5 storey Massage building , audaciously state on media outlet their disgust at western woman being topless on their shoreline.

Its not within the boundaries of reason that even though the victims might have been killed for perceived acts against their moral codes, that they themselves then rape.

Its the Good girl bad girl Thai mentality at play.

However, i agree its likely a group of Thai men in an altered state committed the crime for sexual gratification.

I think this is highly unlikely on this island. Rural Thailand or BKK maybe. But not here.

Charles, a 27-year-old who runs his own events company in London, recalls the sun rising on one such party in Koh Phangan. "There was this English couple who were having sex in the water, which was obviously incredibly disrespectful to the locals, but everybody went nuts. One Thai guy ran in there and just started attacking the man, then about 20 others followed and beat the absolute hell out of him, to the point where he was lifeless and face-down in the water. These Thai people came and drove a pick-up truck on to the beach, and then they just threw him into the back of it and drove off.

Irrespective of who committed a crime like this, in whatever country, it would not reflect well on that country especially if the police and local authorities are seen as incompetent or corrupt.

How is it relevant? What was the motive? Bear in mind, they moved out of the public eye. Mostly likely they were followed by men with ill intentions. Bear in mind that different sperm samples were found inside the unfortunate girl.

His article highlighted anger at westerners being intimate in their public domain.

And though i understand your point ""then why would they rape?" (with regard to semen samples)

I have seen Thais who have a stake in a 5 storey Massage building , audaciously state on media outlet their disgust at western woman being topless on their shoreline.

Its not within the boundaries of reason that even though the victims might have been killed for perceived acts against their moral codes, that they themselves then rape.

However, i agree its likely a group of Thai men in an altered state committed the crime for sexual gratification.

I'm no expert in this field but everything I've read says that rape is not about sex, it's about violence so there is no hypocrisy here (assuming it was Thais)

Edited by phuketandsee

(snip)

What people seem to overlook is that the South is predominantly Muslim, the people of the south are far more reserved than elsewhere in Thailand, having sex in public might be OK on the 16:40 from London to Oxford, it's not OK anywhere here, especially not in the South.

Have you ever ventured south of BKK (other than in a 'plane)? There is no predominance of Muslims with hundreds of km of Koh Tao. While mosques are signposted south of Chumpon, as far south as Hat Yai, by fr the largest majority are Buddhists.

(snip)

What people seem to overlook is that the South is predominantly Muslim, the people of the south are far more reserved than elsewhere in Thailand, having sex in public might be OK on the 16:40 from London to Oxford, it's not OK anywhere here, especially not in the South.

Have you ever ventured south of BKK (other than in a 'plane)? There is no predominance of Muslims with hundreds of km of Koh Tao. While mosques are signposted south of Chumpon, as far south as Hat Yai, by fr the largest majority are Buddhists.

I lived in Phuket for four years and have driven the southern route many times, do your homework.

"Popular opinion seems to hold that a vast majority of the country's Muslims are found in the Thailand's three Southernmost provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat, where they make up majority of the population.[5] However, the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs' research indicates that only 18% of Thai Muslims live in those three provinces. The rest are scattered throughout Thailand, with the largest concentrations being in Bangkok and throughout the larger Southern region. The population in Satun Province, which borders Malaysia as well, is also predominantly Muslim."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Thailand

Edited by chiang mai

Good to hear the Burmese were cleared. For quick closure I hope the evidence ends with the backpacker. Less damage to Thailand's identity for visitors. At least every inch of a break that Thailand gets now is a good break.

One of the most ridiculous comments I've read on this site in a while. Screw Thailand's identity, as you call it. A lot of bad things have gone on here of late and the locals are capable of unspeakable evil. If indeed it was them behind this, then the place deserves to get dragged through the mud after the way all n sundry have carried on, including the 'PM'. I would be very surprised if a westerner did this, not because I am one but because of the type of murder. It has local gang violence written all over it. The hoe is a huge giveaway.

It also makes me cringe the way this has made big news in the Thai media, but absolutely no mention of Thais being taken in, nothing but 'a Thai person couldn't possibly have done this' blah blah. Yuck!! This place will eventually dig its own grave by ending up on all sorts of gov advisories.

Why is the statement ridiculous? What do you expect? Why would it be big news in Thailand?

It would make 'big news' in Thailand because a few bad apples have just f*cked with the livelihoods of many.

Under the circumstances, with the investigators now back at zero with lack of so called DNA evidence leading to an arrest, both the families of the victims and the island itself are suffering from the wake of this heinous crime. But until the facts point to the locals there shouldn't be a jump on them until then. If it were the locals, then yes, drag them through the streets in front of the eyes of the world.

I am also wondering if a foreigner could have done this as you suggest. Because we all know that crimes by foreigners in Thailand only equate to pedophilia, running from child support, and ATM scams.

And with your expert forensic background, we are so happy to know that the presence of a hoe means it was indeed gang violence. Because we all know that gangs roaming the streets of Thailand all have hoes hanging through their belt loops.

If you despise the country enough to say 'screw Thailand's identity' why are you even on this site? Get out of here. Obviously foreigners still find Thailand worthy of a visit or residence.

''Obviously foreigners still find Thailand worthy of a visit or residence''.....is that because of ''pedophilia, running from child support, ATM scams or some other reason you have failed to mention in your post?

(snip)

I lived in Phuket for four years and have driven the southern route many times, do your homework.

"Popular opinion seems to hold that a vast majority of the country's Muslims are found in the Thailand's three Southernmost provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat, where they make up majority of the population.[5] However, the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs' research indicates that only 18% of Thai Muslims live in those three provinces. The rest are scattered throughout Thailand, with the largest concentrations being in Bangkok and throughout the larger Southern region. The population in Satun Province, which borders Malaysia as well, is also predominantly Muslim."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Thailand

You do know that Satun is a long way from koh Tao? There is no muslim predominance in the Surat Thani/Samui/Tao area.

Well that explains the crimes of violence against Western women in Thailand (their lack of repsect for very Thailand's conservative values).

Now can you brainiacs please explain all the violence against Thai women in Thailand? You know, like the Thai girl who was raped by those ten boys in a classroom of her school earlier this year? What did she do to deserve it? Which rules of conservatism did she violate?

• Like 1

Rape in Thailand is a crime of opportunity, and almost every young male Thai will have a go, if he thinks he can get away with it.

You're actually stating that the vast majority of Thai men are rapists?

Good lord!

lol! can u imagine facing the world everyday with an attitude like that?? lol

Timeline

7 Brumese suspects

2 brother English backpackers who knew them suspects

1 farang in Bangkok strong suspect but not arrested just watched

11 more Burmese suspects because of bloody clothing

1 totally unknown strong suspect because he was running on camera then walking on the same camera later. appears Asian.

Is a 3rd grader conducting the investigation?

Are there absolutely no Thai suspects/witnesses/persons of interest? GMAFB.

Oh yeah and Thai Visa favorite PM Prayuth joining in to condemn the farangs who were killed in early morning hours because the foriegn press makes them think it is okay to wear bikinis in Thailand.

In this wonderful wolrd of misquotes and conspiracy theories that is Thai Visa, let's set the record straight yet again.

The good General did not say such a thing, he merely asked the question:

"Speaking in a live broadcast today discussing tourist safety, he said: “There are always problems with tourist safety. They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want, they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere,” according to the AFP news agency.

He added: “Can they be safe in bikinis... unless they are not beautiful?”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thailand-beach-murders-thai-pm-suggests-attractive-female-tourists-cannot-expect-to-be-safe-in-bikinis-9737016.html

And actually I think he was merely verbalizing what many people are thinking. Thailand, despite its many adult distractions, is a reserved culture, people, females especially do not roam the streets semi naked, Just because it's OK to do that in Benidorm and Miami, does it mean it's an OK thing to do that here in Thailand, after all, westerners wouldn't consider doing similar in ultra conservative countries - the issue is not black and white, it's a matter of degrees in terms of conservatism of a particular country.

Right, fire away.

Let me get this straight...

A couple is brutally murdered at 6 am.

And what "many people are thinking" in reaction to such an event is that Thailand is a reserved culture and farang feamles should not wear bikinis?... Everyone who had this reaction should have their heads examined.

no, many people think its a reserved culture. no one said they should not wear bikinis
PM said about bikinis.

Thanks for that Fred Flinstone Ref: JohnThaiHonest I am (lol).

Unfortunately, my tongue lets loose on here sometimes and can't really hold back what I'd truly like to say. Its AMAZING that these morons actually think they're a WESTERN THAI and do everything in their power to Bash away at Farangs on a daily basis. Especially, here in these tv arena's. They're somewhat pathetic and get on my f*&^ing nerves ....

We are all trying our best to look at this case without mocking the dead however some parasites in here are beyond reasoning with......

• Like 1

You do know that Satun is a long way from koh Tao? There is no muslim predominance in the Surat Thani/Samui/Tao area.

Then we disagree, perhaps Mosha can comment on this aspect from having lived in Chumpon for so many years?

I've lived on Samui for 15 years, and travelled all over the south by motorcycle and public transport. There is a small muslim area around HuaThanon on Samui, and you will see more headscarves in Surat Thani, but nowhere close to predominance.

Timeline

7 Brumese suspects

1 totally unknown strong suspect because he was running on camera then walking on the same camera later. appears Asian.

Oh yeah and Thai Visa favorite PM Prayuth joining in to condemn the farangs who were killed in early morning hours because the foriegn press makes them think it is okay to wear bikinis in Thailand.

In this wonderful wolrd of misquotes and conspiracy theories that is Thai Visa, let's set the record straight yet again.

"Speaking in a live broadcast today discussing tourist safety, he said: “There are always problems with tourist safety. They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want, they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere,” according to the AFP news agency.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thailand-beach-murders-thai-pm-suggests-attractive-female-tourists-cannot-expect-to-be-safe-in-bikinis-9737016.html

And actually I think he was merely verbalizing what many people are thinking. Thailand, despite its many adult distractions, is a reserved culture, people, females especially do not roam the streets semi naked, Just because it's OK to do that in Benidorm and Miami, does it mean it's an OK thing to do that here in Thailand, after all, westerners wouldn't consider doing similar in ultra conservative countries - the issue is not black and white, it's a matter of degrees in terms of conservatism of a particular country.

Right, fire away

Yes. Thailand is unique in it's perception and reality. The perception is girls, pros & sleaze (which there is in certain parts), yet the reality is a pretty conservative society.

I've lived in Chaam for quite a few years and I've probably seen half a dozen Thai women in bikinis. The rest are fully dressed in the sea.

Wonder why they are ignoring going after the local farang community living and working there? crazy.gif

Lets face it, as somebody mentioned in referring to Thais, it could have been "a crazed pack of violent farangs" too. whistling.gif

Would make about as much sense and be based on the same amount of non-existent evidence and motive to suggest it.

You need help my friend ..... I could recommend a few good Psychiatrists if you like mate !!!

Timeline

7 Brumese suspects

Right, fire away

Yes. Thailand is unique in it's perception and reality. The perception is girls, pros & sleaze (which there is in certain parts), yet the reality is a pretty conservative society.

I've lived in Chaam for quite a few years and I've probably seen half a dozen Thai women in bikinis. The rest are fully dressed in the sea.

• Like 1

I really wish when something like this happens they'd immediately invite the British to rush some of their best people to aid in the investigation.

If nothing else it would show concern, and also prove transparency in the investigation.

Really, and if a Thai is murdered in the UK, will they invite Thai investigators over to 'aid the investigation'? Or is this just colonial thinking...?

Its abundantly and crystal clear. In tv there are THEM & US. Thai/FarangHood and us REAL Farangs. No matter what we say' they will always intervene quite systematically if you dare accuse anyone no matter how sinister or gross to dare point the finger (not appropriate to us Farangs, since its usually the otherway around) at any Local person in this country. What gets me is how the alienate us their fellow westerners at the drop of a hat. How far have they let themselves go to be brainwashed. Is it something in the food. Have the been coerced by something we are not familiar with ???

I can never ever get my head around it. You, don't have any special rights .. can't vote ... in fact non-entities as far as I can see in any legal capacity. Please for the love of God - get hold of yourself and think about what you would do if your family had this done to them .... Its really beyond a joke .. show empathy and compassion for others who derive from your own countries ....... I like Thai people as well however this place is far too lawless and extremely dangerous no matter what figures you come up with from other regions around the world. Just use common sense to see there is something deeply wrong here and needs to come to an abrupt end ...... No offense to anyone just trying to make you see the light .......

what the hell is a fellow westerner? you and I share no connection based on our place of birth! and if in your opinion there is something deeply wrong here, I'm astonished that you choose to stay.

I've unfortunately came across you many a time in tv. Your opinions are always biased. However, I need to hold my tongue otherwise will have posts deleted. I prefer you don't aim any of your personal conflict at me since we are obviously from a different Planet... I have categorically no respect for you whatsoever so lets keep it clean and stay out my posts please....

Please Note: I've noticed that if anyone on TV has anything to say against Farangs your always in like a flash with your LIKES ... Speaks for itself mate .. solid proof ... Go Figure !!!

Edited by ScotBkk
  • Like 1

Then we disagree, perhaps Mosha can comment on this aspect from having lived in Chumpon for so many years?

I've lived on Samui for 15 years, and travelled all over the south by motorcycle and public transport. There is a small muslim area around HuaThanon on Samui, and you will see more headscarves in Surat Thani, but nowhere close to predominance.

I would agree with that. Surat Thani is a long way from the ''deep south'' and the Malaysian border. I lived on Samui for some years and was surprised at the number of Buddhist temples for such a small island. As mentioned Ban Hua Thanon south of Lamai has a Muslim (and Thai Chinese) population which adds a bit of diversity to the island.

Personally I have noticed more Muslim presence on the west coast from Ranong down to Phuket to Krabi and beyond than on the east side. Quite a few Mosques if you take that drive.

Well that explains the crimes of violence against Western women in Thailand (their lack of repsect for very Thailand's conservative values).

Now can you brainiacs please explain all the violence against Thai women in Thailand? You know, like the Thai girl who was raped by those ten boys in a classroom of her school earlier this year? What did she do to deserve it? Which rules of conservatism did she violate?

rapes dont exist in your home country?