British backpacker arrested for suspected murder of fellow Britons at Koh Tao

webfact

Just checked the Dailymail app and Scotland is the big story. Scrolled through a bit but murder story seems to have dissapeared. Life is so fickle. Old news does not last long.

Just posted the front page a few posts back....check that!

Sorry, sad person that downloaded the app. Used to be the daily paper as a kid. App is more for entertainment than serious news. Full site may be better.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checked the Dailymail app and Scotland is the big story. Scrolled through a bit but murder story seems to have dissapeared. Life is so fickle. Old news does not last long.

Sorry, sad person that downloaded the app. Used to be the daily paper as a kid. App is more for entertainment than serious news. Full site may be better.

Don't hold your breath. It has really honed its market over the past couple of decades. It is SO disturbingly middle England it is unreal!

• Like 1

Don't hold your breath. It has really honed its market over the past couple of decades. It is SO disturbingly middle England it is unreal!

Liked post. Seems Dailymail is trying to outdo the Sun and the Star. Look at the app now and again and but zero credibility given. Where can a person get impartial news these days?

Liked post. Seems Dailymail is trying to outdo the Sun and the Star. Look at the app now and again and but zero credibility given. Where can a person get impartial news these days?

Russia Today is awesome....unless it is about Russia then it is total propaganda.

Al Jazeera is pretty awesome too. If Sir David Frost found it the right place to live out his distinguished career then it is good enough for me.

Ok, I have bitten. After years of promising myself not to engage and post on this site the ‘hogwash’ I have seen spouted on this topic has made me do so. I would also like to state, as most people don’t seem to understand this, that these are my opinions. We all have different ones.

- The Thai police are known for corruption, incompetence, being lent on and accepting cash. Please notice I did not say all policemen. If you have lived here long enough you will know that collecting money is more important than upholding laws. With this as a basis for policing I have no faith in them. Releasing the wrong CCTV and potentially contaminating a crime scene is not good work. Nor is stating that no Thai person could do this when weekly reports come through on train rapes, shootings in restaurants etc

-The PM’s comments on bikinis are crass, clumsy and unbecoming of a leader. To me it reflects more poorly on his estimation of his fellow countrymen that they cannot control themselves and smacks of the ‘she was asking for it’ argument. Abhorrent. I agree that tourists need to take sensible measures to ensure their safety, flashing cash etc same as every other country in the world

-Foreigners behavior. Totally agree that any visitor should adhere to all local laws and customs. Sex on a beach at 6am (if it did happen) is at most rude but I understand it could offend people. Is a suitable reaction smashing two peoples skulls in? I have never been to a full moon party, for a man in his 40’s they look like a nightmare. If Thais don’t like what happens there then stop them. Oh, but then the money stops too right?

-People who know a lot more than me have talked for years about the monopoly down on islands like K Tao. They are run by influential families and the police work for them. They get paid mind.

-Many have offered up theories with no proof on here. I am now going to join in but please note this is just what I think might have happened drawing on my experiences here and by talking to Thai friends. I have no proof, no evidence and am not categorically stating this is true. The woman was approached by a local on the island (Thai/ Burmese/ whatever, not important) was knocked back or the guy stepped in, loss of face, maybe words exchanged, locals follow when they leave/ are waiting for them. No one person, race of people should be ruled in or out. Everything should be done to catch whoever did this.

- It is clear, in my opinion, that the primary concern of the PM is the image of the country not justice.

- Double standards. Back to foreigners behavior. In a country where a couple of thousand baht can buy you anything you want, and please don’t think its just Cowboy and Nana, Petcaburi Rd massages etc is not for farang, a woman cannot safely wear a bikini. Visitors should not get too drunk at parties and get wild but activities such as motorcycle racing, drink driving are let go? Laws that are written in statute are not upheld.

-This seems to have been overlooked, that person is still out there. That should be a huge worry not just for catching them but for potential to repeat.

-Questioning and checking the stories of the couples friends is a great idea and of course should be done. Releasing mixed statements on arrests, ‘fleeing’ the country and showing their pictures should not be done. Simple statement along the lines of ‘ We are currently questioning two people of interest who are not under arrest as much to rule them out as to rule them in’. Done. No one should be ruled out or in based on their nationality.

- Lastly, and most importantly, 2 young people who had their whole lives in front of them have been brutally murdered. Not passed away, killed. Think of their parents, brothers, sisters, friends and family. We have all read what might have happened to them in their last few minutes. Think of the parents receiving this news, travelling to the airport, the flight and body identification. Now tell me they were asking for it, that in ANY way this kind or reaction should be expected. Not in a world I want to live in.

I have probably missed loads of points, mis-spelt words, I don’t write so coherently but every time I read of more details coming out it fills me with such sadness. Please feel free to disagree with any of my points, I hope I have explained that these are my own personal opinions, not fact, and that you are all free to your own.

Sorry this was so long.

Good post mate

They won't stitch up any one here. They will release BS media reports and subterfuge until they have a confession. My bet is they already know who did it and are working on getting evidence. Some times the Thai police can be inept and useless, but not in this case. They must and will get the right people. In my experience, I can see it being local bar staff or fisherman (commercial)... bagged to the eye-balls on meth. There is no mafia cover-up at work here, trust me. The Thais as much as anyone want to get the right person. The mafia don't control the islands...that is absurd. They control certain aspects of the island, like fruit selling on the beach, parties and taxis, but they are not in control, so put that myth to bed. Furthermore, the local Thais despise foreign Thais who do this sort of stuff in their back yards, they want justice to prove that they are not animals. The right people will be grabbed... I've got no doubt.

• Like 2

A post on here earlier (SirBser - a few pages back) claimed that a story was doing the rounds on the island, that Hannah had been getting unwanted attention from a Thai man, and David had to intervene and then got into an argument/heated conversation with him. This then led to the Thai man leaving and getting one of his friends, they then decided to wait for Hannah and David to leave so they could make there attack.

May I ask you , how do you know it was a Thai man and not a migrant worker from Burma or somewhere else? For a tourist its difficult to seprate Thais from other Asian nationalities.

This is just a story , who told it first ? Be careful to blaim any nationality in this tragic case.

What we need is evidence.

What we do know is that on the island a majority of the people working there are immigrants from neighboring countries .

Well I would assume that LOGIC may dictate the way we look at this.

Westerner frequented beach bar on a tourist island is not going to be offering its products at prices that would be attractive to an immigrant worker. They almost always drink among themselves with shop bought cheap alternatives.

However, you will almost always see the more well heeled Thai man at these sort of places because he feels he can afford it.

Personally I have never seen immigrant workers frequenting even Thai run bars if the price of a beer is more than 65 baht a large bottle. But having said that, I can normally tell a Thai from a Burmese or Cambodian man, especially when they open their mouth. It's a bit like when you have lived in any country for a certain amount of time, you pick out the dialect in their accent.

If people are saying that it was a Thai man in the bar in altercation with the victim/s you can pretty much put your monry on it being a Thai man, and probably with money. (the worst kind).

I just can't believe that the police actually ruled out a Thai national as the murderer based on the stupid attitude that 'Thais would never do such a thing'.... Thailand is one of the most violent places I have ever been to. Even the school kids kill each other.

I am really thinking twice on whether i want to bring my kids up here.

Logic? A Thai cannot afford the price of a beer? Awful assumption that to my mind is one of the worst things on TVR.

Well really just goes to show that your reading skills are probably worse than my 10 year old kid.

My post says this.....

Westerner frequented beach bar on a tourist island is not going to be offering its products at prices that would be attractive to an immigrant worker. They almost always drink among themselves with shop bought cheap alternatives.

However, you will almost always see the more well heeled Thai man at these sort of places because he feels he can afford it.

Personally I have never seen immigrant workers frequenting even Thai run bars if the price of a beer is more than 65 baht a large bottle. But having said that, I can normally tell a Thai from a Burmese or Cambodian man, especially when they open their mouth. It's a bit like when you have lived in any country for a certain amount of time, you pick out the dialect in their accent.

Your perception of a plain English post is probably the worst I have seen on TVF

• Like 2

They won't stitch up any one here. They will release BS media reports and subterfuge until they have a confession. My bet is they already know who did it and are working on getting evidence. Some times the Thai police can be inept and useless, but not in this case. They must and will get the right people. In my experience, I can see it being local bar staff or fisherman (commercial)... bagged to the eye-balls on meth. There is no mafia cover-up at work here, trust me. The Thais as much as anyone want to get the right person. The mafia don't control the islands...that is absurd. They control certain aspects of the island, like fruit selling on the beach, parties and taxis, but they are not in control, so put that myth to bed. Furthermore, the local Thais despise foreign Thais who do this sort of stuff in their back yards, they want justice to prove that they are not animals. The right people will be grabbed... I've got no doubt.

Not sure if you live here. If your post is a serious gut feeling why stay. Lived in three countries in my lifetime, half of that spent in a country who's views I disagreed with. Money talks. Thailand to me is as safe as anywhere else in the world. Great place for a holiday. Terrible crime, unfortunately life includes that sort of thing. How can a crime be worse or better depending on the country it happens in? Sad sad sad about the Thai remarks on this thread. Seriously grow up and be less bigited.

Thailand PM Prayuth has apologized for his 'bikini' marks relating to the #KohTao murders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UOHrWwlQYs

Translation:

[starting at 0.09 min.] “…safety…tourists! We always have problems with that! We have to see it with their eyes: They think that our country is beautiful and safe and can do whatever they want, wear bikinis and go anywhere…I ask you: will they make it through [as in "be safe"] wearing a bikini? Unless you’re aren’t pretty. [laughter] Everyone here is pretty! Well, it’s dangerous and we have to tell them that! [We have to tell them] two things: [that we have] the law to protect them and that they have to be careful, that after [september] 18 they shouldn’t go there [but] we have security there and there looking after…because that negatively affects the tourism there…at Koh…which is it…Koh Chang? What island is it again? Ah, Koh Tao! Yeah, that’s [???]. No tourists coming because they’re afraid. [...]“

http://asiancorrespondent.com/126804/thai-pm-apologizes-for-bikini-remark-after-koh-tao-murders/

Edited by mataleo

Not sure if you live here. If your post is a serious gut feeling why stay. Lived in three countries in my lifetime, half of that spent in a country who's views I disagreed with. Money talks. Thailand to me is as safe as anywhere else in the world. Great place for a holiday. Terrible crime, unfortunately life includes that sort of thing. How can a crime be worse or better depending on the country it happens in? Sad sad sad about the Thai remarks on this thread. Seriously grow up and be less bigited.

Yeah, I live on Phangan. Have done for 30 years. I have seen a lot of stuff, and generally the bad stuff is done by foreign Thai boys being bad. Very rarely is it a farang... Dems da facts. I build walls around my life, and live inside those walls. I don't go out and play with the boys... Anyone of any repute doesn't "hang out" with the riff-raff. After 30 years you know who is the riff-raff. Crazed bar staff... mark my words.

• Like 1

Yeah, I live on Phangan. Have done for 30 years. I have seen a lot of stuff, and generally the bad stuff is done by foreign Thai boys being bad. Very rarely is it a farang... No bigotry here my friend. I build walls around my life, and live inside those walls. I don't go out and play with the boys... Anyone of any repute doesn't "hang out" with the riff-raff. After 30 years you know who is the riff-raff. Crazed bar staff... mark my words.

Yeah, I live on Phangan. Have done for 30 years. I have seen a lot of stuff, and generally the bad stuff is done by foreign Thai boys being bad. Very rarely is it a farang... Dems da facts. I build walls around my life, and live inside those walls. I don't go out and play with the boys... Anyone of any repute doesn't "hang out" with the riff-raff. After 30 years you know who is the riff-raff. Crazed bar staff... mark my words.

Not too sure what a foreign Thai boy is. Get the drift. Most crime here is probably comitted by Thais, stands to reason. My only problem on this thread is the people who deny the crime may have been commited by a Westerner. Enough said.

If anyone is on Koh Tao or maybe lived on it in the past and want's to help the victim's families by passing on details of previous incidents like this on the Island I would suggest this BBC reporter seems to be receptive to such information: https://twitter.com/...525217306927104 and hopefully he will follow anyone who follows him on Twitter to take such information via DM's. Hopefully armed with such information real pressure can then be applied to those investigating this horrible crime and at least the families of these victims can ger some sort of justice unlike many before who haven't...

• Like 1

Not too sure what a foreign Thai boy is. Get the drift. Most crime here is probably comitted by Thais, stands to reason. My only problem on this thread is the people who deny the crime may have been commited by a Westerner. Enough said.

A foreign Thai is a Thai not from the islands... ie from the mainland. the locals are generally the owners, and the staff come from other places... that's why they want to see justice. That's why these types of places attract the worst type of Thai... they see opportunities to get easy money and white women... I may be over simplifying it for you, but that is the drift. The Thais for example outside of Hadrin are typical easy going nice people... the ones in Hadrin are dirt bags. And that's because 25 years ago there was nothing in Hadrin... everything there today has been established for the foreign tourist market. Back then there was no police station, no banks, no post office... no school. Now it is all there, and it has all evolved after and because of tourism. There are very few locals living in Hadrin. There are plenty of low income, non-local Thais and burmese living in slums in Hadrin, but all the "asian" people you see in Hadrin are not from there... they go there looking for a pot of gold. And Koh Tao is the same. The evolution of Koh Tao from nothing to today is literally 20 years, and there are a lot of undesirables there as there is anywhere you have unbridled, unharnessed, uncontrolled tourism.

Posts that exceeded the nested quote limit have been removed because the posts were too messed up to make head or tail of who said what. Please try to minimize nested quotes to the one or two that you are actually replying to. Thanks.

Other off topic or inflammatory posts have been removed as well.

Guys I am doing some research into unsolved tourist murders in Thailand. They have been mentioned in this thread already but I am a bit too lazy to go trawling though 33 pages w00t.gif

There was Kirsty Jones in Chaing Mai

Those Canadian twins in Phi Phi (although, that is debatable)

I remember one happening in Pai?

Any others?

Cheers in advance wai.gif

Depends on how many of the 'suicides' you might class as unsolved murders?

L&M cigarette butt. Now the police say they have found an L&M cigarette but with DNA of two people matching the DNA found on sperm from the victim. Well that points to two people sharing a cigarette, which is common among either local or immigrant workers, who share cigarettes sometimes because of lack of money. I can't see tourists sharing a cigarette unless it had been used for the purpose of smoking marijuana, so therefore it points strongly to an Asian connection.

• Like 1

L&M cigarette butt. Now the police say they have found an L&M cigarette but with DNA of two people matching the DNA found on sperm from the victim. Well that points to two people sharing a cigarette, which is common among either local or immigrant workers, who share cigarettes sometimes because of lack of money. I can't see tourists sharing a cigarette unless it had been used for the purpose of smoking marijuana, so therefore it points strongly to an Asian connection.

Again, stereotypes and ill informed speculation. Why bother? Could invent several scenarios if neccessary.