British backpacker arrested for suspected murder of fellow Britons at Koh Tao

webfact

Channel 7 news just broadcast coroner details.

They reported the girl was raped by at least two different males, they went into some detail I won't repeat.

But it sort of removes the Brit from the 'frame'.

It appears to be an asian gang attack of some kind.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wish when something like this happens they'd immediately invite the British to rush some of their best people to aid in the investigation.

If nothing else it would show concern, and also prove transparency in the investigation.

does Britain invite foreign police to help with the investigation of a foreigners murder?

No not at all .. Why, because they're probably the most experienced Police in the world .... hope that answers your question .......

so please tell us at what level of experience other countries should bite the bullet and ask for assistance from more experienced nations for their murders? are scotland yard and the fbi and a few others prepared to travel to the many countries that dont have the required experience every time there is a murder in the world? boy theyre gonna be busy! lol

Why should the police be responsible for the actions of adults? They are required when the adults throw tantrums. Unfortunately adult tantrums result in a bit more than tears.

.Let me spell it out for you. Westerners only behave in this manner in Thailand because the Thais do nothing to prevent it. In fact they encourage it. A case in point is Hadrin. There you will see people rooting at the steps of cactus bar. If you did this in Australia, you'd be arrested instantly... but not here. Because there is an aire of anything goes, anything does indeed generally go. This is the Thais fault for allowing it. I get a bit annoyed when I hear Thais being judgemental of the farang idiots at the FMP... if you don't like their behaviour, don't let them do it... the laws are in place to stop indecency, and public nudity,,, but no, it's all ok here. They can't do it at home, so if they are told not to do it here, they are sure to understand. BUT NO, they allow it , they encourage it, and then it makes the whole place slovenly, dangerous, bawdy and ugly

They are not responsible for there actions, unless their actions are illegal... which they usually are, public indecency, nudity lewd behaviour willful damage etc, and then it is their duty to arrest them.... Do you not think that 2 raped and dead people on a public well touristed beach does not rate "tantrum" status? I think you should get out more.

There are beaches in Spain where on a dark night you can fall over teenage English girls rooting on the beach with Spanish waiters after a night of cheap booze in the discotheques. My Thai wife would think that was disgusting but, personally I couldn't care less, as long as they do it out of sight of the main drag and no one gets hurt, unintentionally pregnant or diseased as a result. It's all part of growing up.

If you've never had sex on a beach with a beautiful stranger you met on holiday, you've never lived.

• Like 2

I am not convinced.

How could he have a hoe that night ?

Where did he get that hoe ?

It is not normal a tourist has a hoe with himself.

If he had picked the hoe before, it means the murder was premeditate. Absolutely. Otherwise I doubt he found it on the beach.

While a hoe seems to point a little more towards a local it certainly conceivable that anyone could have picked up a hoe that was laying next to a building. On these islands something is always being built or landscaped.

I really wish when something like this happens they'd immediately invite the British to rush some of their best people to aid in the investigation.

If nothing else it would show concern, and also prove transparency in the investigation.

does Britain invite foreign police to help with the investigation of a foreigners murder?

No not at all .. Why, because they're probably the most experienced Police in the world .... hope that answers your question .......

so please tell us at what level of experience other countries should bite the bullet and ask for assistance from more experienced nations for their murders? are scotland yard and the fbi and a few others prepared to travel to the many countries that dont have the required experience every time there is a murder in the world? boy theyre gonna be busy! lol

Erm..... Well considering they were the first country to form a police force, would suggest they had the most experience in the world.

They also have a very successful murder detection rate compared with most of the other countries in the world.

Yes..... Normally when a Brit is murdered abroad, they almost always send out some British investigators... especially when a Brit has been fingered as a suspect.

Also, Thailand is the only country I can think of that employs foreigners as police... They are called 'tourist police' so Thailand actually relies on help from foreigners to do their policing.

• Like 1

Erm..... Well considering they were the first country to form a police force, would suggest they had the most experience in the world.

They also have a very successful murder detection rate compared with most of the other countries in the world.

Yes..... Normally when a Brit is murdered abroad, they almost always send out some British investigators... especially when a Brit has been fingered as a suspect.

Also, Thailand is the only country I can think of that employs foreigners as police... They are called 'tourist police' so Thailand actually relies on help from foreigners to do their policing.

"tourist police" IS NOT a term used for police volunteers.

• Like 1

There is another very sad tale in all of this that nobody seems to have paid attention to, and that the victim had a girlfriend back home in the UK, and it must be extremely distressing to read and listen to the news that her partner was with another woman when it's being reported they had some sort of "relationship", when they were both brutally murdered.

I would also be going straight back to these initial 6 suspects as well, the ones who had blood stained clothing and broken phones, and if I was a betting man, I'd be inclined to believe they will be the ones who carried out the horrendous attack on this couple. My gut instinct is leaning towards them as being guilty, now I also wnder if they were instructed by the Police to remain on the Island till they're eliminated from their inquiries, and whether they removed the bloodied clothing for further forensic examination too..

Inept springs to mind with the Koh Tao Chief of Police.

I am not convinced.

How could he have a hoe that night ?

Where did he get that hoe ?

It is not normal a tourist has a hoe with himself.

If he had picked the hoe before, it means the murder was premeditate. Absolutely. Otherwise I doubt he found it on the beach.

They are commonly used for digging holes in the sand for fires at beach parties. So I'm told.

There is another very sad tale in all of this that nobody seems to have paid attention to, and that the victim had a girlfriend back home in the UK, and it must be extremely distressing to read and listen to the news that her partner was with another woman when it's being reported they had some sort of "relationship", when they were both brutally murdered.

I would also be going straight back to these initial 6 suspects as well, the ones who had blood stained clothing and broken phones, and if I was a betting man, I'd be inclined to believe they will be the ones who carried out the horrendous attack on this couple. My gut instinct is leaning towards them as being guilty, now I also wnder if they were instructed by the Police to remain on the Island till they're eliminated from their inquiries, and whether they removed the bloodied clothing for further forensic examination too..

Inept springs to mind with the Koh Tao Chief of Police.

And you would think that those phones would be fairly easily traceable/identifiable to determine if they were sold in Thailand or, say, the UK for example?

blah blah blah

Butt cheeks hanging out, not a problem, exposed shoulders or cleavage and nipple outlines very big problem.

As for beach activities,

my gf (font of all Thai knowledge) says, "very dangerous to have sex on the beach, Thai man see, Thai man want turn, girl not give Thai man turn, Thai man kill."

Surprised as to the first part of the first comment, considering even knees exposed is taboo in temples, and one will notice Asian men usually wear long pants when Western men would opt for shorts. The shoulders and such, yes obviously not to be exposed.

As to the second, interesting comment from her, more extreme than I expected, but all the more reason to keep it low-key!

All I can say for certain, is that if one of my best friends was killed, I would stay behind to do my best to make sure justice was served.

I would not flee the day or even 2 days after to meet someone in Bangkok....for any reason.

...unless I had something to dispose off or hide...or I was a coward.

• Like 2

Good to hear the Burmese were cleared. For quick closure I hope the evidence ends with the backpacker. Less damage to Thailand's identity for visitors. At least every inch of a break that Thailand gets now is a good break.

Have to wonder, if the British guy is proved to be the culprit, how the "Thailand Bashers" will react?

You know who I mean, those people who delight in telling everyone HOW BAD Thailand is.

• Like 1

blah blah blah

Butt cheeks hanging out, not a problem, exposed shoulders or cleavage and nipple outlines very big problem.

As for beach activities,

my gf (font of all Thai knowledge) says, "very dangerous to have sex on the beach, Thai man see, Thai man want turn, girl not give Thai man turn, Thai man kill."

Getting off-topic so self-deleted my post due to the especially tragic nature of this thread's topic.

Edited by PaPiPuPePo

Good to hear the Burmese were cleared. For quick closure I hope the evidence ends with the backpacker. Less damage to Thailand's identity for visitors. At least every inch of a break that Thailand gets now is a good break.

Have to wonder, if the British guy is proved to be the culprit, how the "Thailand Bashers" will react?

You know who I mean, those people who delight in telling everyone HOW BAD Thailand is.

BP are reporting that there was no DNA match to the British guy, and it also seems that the 6 Burmese guys have also been eliminated from being suspects, the report also states that the DNA of two different males have been found in Semen samples taken from the female victim.

they dont do policing, they are a liason with tourists. and your say so that they normally send police abroad wont cut it

With the latest news, the smell of a cover up is becoming increasingly stronger. A few posters have alluded to " locals" and it wouldn't be the first time, think of Kirsty Jones and Leo Del Pinto for starters. I would assume they would also be ruling out the deceased, so that suggest another party of suspects who as of yet have not been identified as suspects

• Like 2

All I can say for certain, is that if one of my best friends was killed, I would stay behind to do my best to make sure justice was served.

I would not flee the day or even 2 days after to meet someone in Bangkok....for any reason.

...unless I had something to dispose off or hide...or I was a coward.

He fled the island did he?

That is you going by media reports that are ever changing and inaccurate at best.

You already heard from his personal friend on this thread that he didn't leave the island till Tuesday morning.

You have hung this guy out to dry on flimsy media speculation as evidence. You are worse than the Thai police at detection and that is really saying something.

The more this unravels the least likely it looks that this guy was in fact guilty. Seems more and more likely that it was a local, but this will be the police's final lie of enquiry.

Tourism can not be allowed to suffer from this incident. There is too much money in tourists and the police get more of their fair share of that money. So the police will have no motivation to pursue a Thai link to this, in fact they will likely be motivated in the other direction.

Pray tell us exactly how you would make sure justice was served? If the police don't want justice served, there is nothing YOU can do to enforce it. Personally, if I were in this guy's shoes, I would probably want to get home as fast as I could and comfort my friend's family and grieve with them.... Not hang around like a spare prick at a wedding achieving absolutely nothing.

Also,how would one fund his extension if he has blown all his money on his holiday? Ever think of that??The embassy?... don't hold your breath.

• Like 1

Those islands are run by the local mafia .... as murder a scapegoat will arise as the Royal Thai Police can't report a suicide case. If the real murder will be turn up, he should be hanged on the next tree available and treated the same way he treated the victims and his cadaver feeding to the street dogs.

• Like 1

Quite right. He is a student and doubtless will now have to fund another flight including his prolonged stay. There is not a shred of evidence to suggest he fled the island. He evidently was departing with his brother in line with their itinerary and would have been oblivious of the incident until advised later by the police. What could he do if he was running out of money and had no funds to pay for another ticket? What point would there be in remaining? Why would it be cowardice to leave?

I understand the Brit embassy has a representative on the island. This is good news for Ware who increasingly is being fitted up by that idiot Colonel who insists on making moronic speculative comments in the absence of any evidence.

• Like 1