British backpacker arrested for suspected murder of fellow Britons at Koh Tao

webfact

A horrible, tragic incident. Shame on those of you who are using it as a stick to beat Thailand with even before the full facts have become clear.

You're a sweet guy, and obviously you know very little about how things go in Thailand. Remain in you bubble as long as possible, I hope the confrontation with the local reality will not be too hard for you. Big hug!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A horrible, tragic incident. Shame on those of you who are using it as a stick to beat Thailand with even before the full facts have become clear.

You're a sweet guy, and obviously you know very little about how things go in Thailand. Remain in you bubble as long as possible, I hope the confrontation with the local reality will not be too hard for you. Big hug!

so you tell us who did it then

I really wish when something like this happens they'd immediately invite the British to rush some of their best people to aid in the investigation.

If nothing else it would show concern, and also prove transparency in the investigation.

Really, and if a Thai is murdered in the UK, will they invite Thai investigators over to 'aid the investigation'? Or is this just colonial thinking...?

• Like 1

Those islands are run by the local mafia .... as murder a scapegoat will arise as the Royal Thai Police can't report a suicide case. If the real murder will be turn up, he should be hanged on the next tree available and treated the same way he treated the victims and his cadaver feeding to the street dogs.

Poor street dogs without food, no cruelty against animals! No joke, you're right about the local maffias, but don't forget the biggest of all either..., OK?

The answer is in Thailand, and for Thais to give. Will there be one, and when so will it be the truth? That's the concern of people with some experience here, and they are not often 'satisfied' by the outcome, got it...? It's not only in a classic play, not only in Denmark, but bigger here...

The answer is in Thailand, and for Thais to give. Will there be one, and when so will it be the truth? That's the concern of people with some experience here, and they are not often 'satisfied' by the outcome, got it...? It's not only in a classic play, not only in Denmark, but bigger here...

big difference between a concern and an accusation. these thai bashers will always assume theyre being lied to. cant believe they stay in a place they despise so much.

All along I have suspected this. I wonder if this is the same chap they detained originally and let go because he explained his injuries (that is the DUMBEST thing I have read in a long time BTW.....just because he had injuries they figured that was the only thing they needed a cover story for). After the detention the lad left the island immediately and headed to Bangkok.

Back to my original story. Jealous, drunk, incidental implement, quick savage attack, attempt to move man, spooked, ran.

--EDIT--

Except for the post above mine adding something completely new into the scene......wow!

Hey hey hey you are a real Sherlock Holmes clap2.gif

Good to hear the Burmese were cleared. For quick closure I hope the evidence ends with the backpacker. Less damage to Thailand's identity for visitors. At least every inch of a break that Thailand gets now is a good break.

Have to wonder, if the British guy is proved to be the culprit, how the "Thailand Bashers" will react?

You know who I mean, those people who delight in telling everyone HOW BAD Thailand is.

BP are reporting that there was no DNA match to the British guy, and it also seems that the 6 Burmese guys have also been eliminated from being suspects, the report also states that the DNA of two different males have been found in Semen samples taken from the female victim.

Oh my. Back to the drawing board. So many different scenerios could be played out. Poor families without closure just yet.

Here we go again DNA doesn't match.

Okay I'll go back to what I've been saying, somebody posted on Hannah's original Facebook page telling why she was killed, he keeps saying that night they had a problem in the bar, a local Thai man was hitting on Hannah and Dave got in a argument with the Thai man.

Supposedly the Thai man left the bar and was hiding on the beach with a friend waiting for when they left.

Ive heard from many people on Koh Tao that this is what the word is but everybody is keeping quiet, everyone's scared of the locals family who own the land.

Most of all the workers at the bar left Koh Tao because all the bar tenders are foreigners with no work permits.

Also Koh Tao might be a small island but the Thai and Burmese boys smoke yah bah and yah ice on that island, usually sold by someone protected by the police. The level of corruption on Koh Tao is insane, I wouldn't be surprised if the 3 cops that look after Koh Tao know who the killer is but is protecting him and throwing the Surat Thani police bad information.

I don't say, can't know, this is true, but have seen it happen many times, on another island, not far away... 'Avoid the police', 'Beware of the police, don't trust them', criminals' advise? No, from my 'Thai brother' who happens to be a criminal police officer, and from the sister of a colonel I'm close too...

Okay I'll go back to what I've been saying, somebody posted on Hannah's original Facebook page telling why she was killed, he keeps saying that night they had a problem in the bar, a local Thai man was hitting on Hannah and Dave got in a argument with the Thai man.

Supposedly the Thai man left the bar and was hiding on the beach with a friend waiting for when they left.

Ive heard from many people on Koh Tao that this is what the word is but everybody is keeping quiet, everyone's scared of the locals family who own the land.

Most of all the workers at the bar left Koh Tao because all the bar tenders are foreigners with no work permits.

Also Koh Tao might be a small island but the Thai and Burmese boys smoke yah bah and yah ice on that island, usually sold by someone protected by the police. The level of corruption on Koh Tao is insane, I wouldn't be surprised if the 3 cops that look after Koh Tao know who the killer is but is protecting him and throwing the Surat Thani police bad information.

This sounds like a major lead, the Thai and British authorities and media should be made aware of it so that it can be checked out.

plus the girl had blonde hair in her hands,

The arrested farang suspect doesn't have blonde hair (and the suspected Burmese workers probably don't either).

The murdered girl does however have blonde hair.

I don't like to speculate, but don't stick on the blond hair probably her own hair.

PPL who having a lot of pain often ripping off their own hair, maybe this was her reaction after she got the first hit.

A very normal thing would to go question staff at the last place they were seen, second normal thing would be to appeal to anyone there ie customers at the last place they were seen alive for information such as any arguments etc .... ie the bar they were drinking in.

This youd expect to be the very first point of call for the police after the crime scene.

IF bar staff have been leaving due to no WP that makes it harder but once away from the island perhaps it would be safer for them to talk.

Jealousy and or revenge is a very common motive. Time to start taking samples from the islanders imo

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

Where is CSI? Sounds like a lot of evidence was left at the scene and a little effort would eliminate or identify the suspects. Why is it so difficult? What is most disturbing news coming out of this whole situation is releasing the homocide rate of Brits in the kingdom. Thailand certainly has done a very good job of keeping this bit of info away from the would be travelers. I am still in shock. Thailand is a dangerous country and keeping it from the populace does not help to prevent it from happening. A friend just returned from Pattaya and he said walking street was opening later at night and many clubs not even open. A huge change. Is this the start of a change and a more safer Thailand? Hope so but too late for these very young full of life souls. RIP

I have joined this forum purely to comment on this thread, as I think the story is devastating.

I have replied to this post specifically because if what you're saying is genuine and has substance to it, I think the info should be forwarded on to the proper authorities, as this could prove decisive in making sure that the killers are brought to justice.

Whoever has committed these crimes cannot get away with this.

• Like 1

I have joined this forum purely to comment on this thread, as I think the story is devastating.

I have replied to this post specifically because if what you're saying is genuine and has substance to it, I think the info should be forwarded on to the proper authorities, as this could prove decisive in making sure that the killers are brought to justice.

Probably a double-post here but yes this info should be vetted. If it points to one person, then he should be questioned and swabbed for DNA. Sir Bser keep us updated and I hope your username isn't a factor in this!

update on thai pbs shows 2 sets of dna found and also 2 seperate weapons used. now clear more than one attacker involved

Impossible.

There are 5 stages to extracting a DNA profile and each step takes anything between a few hours and a few days. Almost impossible for all 5 steps to be taking the shortest of time.

Then after that it can take several weeks to compare two samples because the code is so vast that they have to line up a part of a string against the entire code of the second sample. To think they have been able to do all of this extraction and matching in a day is quite frankly ridiculous.

So just another case of Thai media boll*x.

I have now discounted ALL media information and 'so called' police quotes as figments of the imagination because it is all contradictory hearsay.

Really, this DNA Forensic Scientist says around 60hrs as standard......

http://www.patc.com/weeklyarticles/dna-timeline.shtml

Story in British press just now is that there is no match to any suspects so far.

Just a thought,

Dont all Thai ID cards carry fingerprints now ? ... my family does and they are on database system as they link them to Thai passports... so lift fingerprints if poss from weapon etc... run through the database of fingerprints on ID cards use markers for similarity call them in take DNA samples and match... start with all on the island ID cards and go from there.

Sincerely, I am sure that the Police have been monitoring the victims' Facebook pages, looked into their phones' texts and calls or any sources in order to retrieve informations.

If not the Thai Police ( which I am certain they have ) but at least the UK police as none of these administrations are completely retarded when it comes to investigate.

Whatever the outcome, one should give some credit to the police officers in charge with the investigation.

The only problems are the "unthought" statements made by some doubled by the reported "rumours" by the press, notwithstanding the opinion ( conviction ) of some of the posters ready to hang the "culprit/s"

By "culprit" please understand that their names were displayed in some newspapers eager to keep the audience, sorry, the public, entertained, sorry again, informed.

Of course one can think anything when one hears or sees some piece of news but these are not evidences.

From what I recall, even, when indisputable proof of involvement has been brought on a suspect, hours, even days are needed to bring a sentence by a jury and by a judge.

Quit thinking that the Police are morons in need to be taught as we know better.

Sincerely, I am sure that the Police have been monitoring the victims' Facebook pages, looked into their phones' texts and calls or any sources in order to retrieve informations.

If not the Thai Police ( which I am certain they have ) but at least the UK police as none of these administrations are completely retarded when it comes to investigate.

Whatever the outcome, one should give some credit to the police officers in charge with the investigation.

The only problems are the "unthought" statements made by some doubled by the reported "rumours" by the press, notwithstanding the opinion ( conviction ) of some of the posters ready to hang the "culprit/s"

By "culprit" please understand that their names were displayed in some newspapers eager to keep the audience, sorry, the public, entertained, sorry again, informed.

Of course one can think anything when one hears or sees some piece of news but these are not evidences.

From what I recall, even, when indisputable proof of involvement has been brought on a suspect, hours, even days are needed to bring a sentence by a jury and by a judge.

Quit thinking that the Police are morons in need to be taught as we know better.

but...but...but............ they arent caucasian!!

Point taken. However, let's not forget that this is the same Police department that released CCTV image(s) of two random people that they claimed were the victims.

Whereas I'm sure the Thai Police force are doing everything they can, they don't fill me with confidence when they make such 'Police Academy-esque' errors such as the above one.

Edited by LanceGringo

Point taken. However, let's not forget that this is the same Police department that released CCTV image(s) of two random people that they claimed were the victims.

Whereas I'm sure the Thai Police force are doing everything they can, they don't fill me with confidence when they make such 'Police Academy-esque' errors such as the above one.

are they aware of how you feel about this? should they be told?

Can they really confirm that there were 2 different semen fluid found on the lady ?

In that case , we can clear the brit out of this. Must have been an asian gang .

It's not the first time we have seen brutal murders like this in LOS.

• Like 1

Didn't the police say he had scratches ? girls scratch, check her finger nails for traces of skin and match the DNA

This is the first productive comment here. And if they find any DNA who does'nt fits to one of the victims let all the ppl of any sex on this island, lift up their shirts and looking for scratches. For real proper policemans would there be a good chance to solve this case quick, caused it was happend on a island.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What a twist. It will be interesting to see if they really have their killer or ae just tryin make a foreigner guilty to save their tourism. Good they were able to track down a single tourist and make an arrest however leaving the island (quickly) does not mean running from the scene of a crime

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As a US native I can tell you that when the words Military Junta are mentioned, Farangs will almost unfailingly chose another destination. Nothing against the NCPO but those two words have received such a negative and dangerous connotation from their application(s) in the past in different countries and on different continents...

Likewise, the recent treatment of Farang English teachers making the visa runs they must because of dishonest schools not following through on what they claim they do, coupled with the recent announcement of free Visas for the Chinese has sent a clear message to Farang tourists. The use of the phrase National Security Risk in connection with those very same Farang teachers will also help any westerners who were undecided about Thailand chose another destination.

It was too much for me. Instead of teaching Thais English, I will be training sled dogs in Norway. I really do not like the cold. But warmth can, and will, be measured in more ways than just temperature. Just no way around that. Until some positive signals start appearing, all we have is negative ones to go on. And the funny thing is the positive signals evaporate very quickly compared to the decay rate of negative ones.

Sorry but as you say you are a US native I feel I should ignore all travel advice given by you. (Nice way of saying something)

No advice, just stating the facts.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What a twist. It will be interesting to see if they really have their killer or ae just tryin make a foreigner guilty to save their tourism. Good they were able to track down a single tourist and make an arrest however leaving the island (quickly) does not mean running from the scene of a crime

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As a US native I can tell you that when the words Military Junta are mentioned, Farangs will almost unfailingly chose another destination. Nothing against the NCPO but those two words have received such a negative and dangerous connotation from their application(s) in the past in different countries and on different continents...

Likewise, the recent treatment of Farang English teachers making the visa runs they must because of dishonest schools not following through on what they claim they do, coupled with the recent announcement of free Visas for the Chinese has sent a clear message to Farang tourists. The use of the phrase National Security Risk in connection with those very same Farang teachers will also help any westerners who were undecided about Thailand chose another destination.

It was too much for me. Instead of teaching Thais English, I will be training sled dogs in Norway. I really do not like the cold. But warmth can, and will, be measured in more ways than just temperature. Just no way around that. Until some positive signals start appearing, all we have is negative ones to go on. And the funny thing is the positive signals evaporate very quickly compared to the decay rate of negative ones.

Sorry but as you say you are a US native I feel I should ignore all travel advice given by you. (Nice way of saying something)

No advice, just stating the facts.

those were your opinions, not facts.