British backpacker arrested for suspected murder of fellow Britons at Koh Tao

webfact

Police blame ‘jealous’ friend for David and Hannah murders on Koh Tao
By Coconuts Bangkok

hand.jpg
ABOVE: British tourist Christopher Alan Ware is questioned by police on Koh Tao. Photo: Khao Sod.

KOH TAO: -- A local police commander said today he believes a British man being held by police was responsible for the brutal murders of two young tourists on Koh Tao.

Police Col. Prachum Ruangthong, commander of Pha Ngan police department, told reporters he believes the killer was a British travel companion who is currently in police custody, according to INN, while DNA tests are underway to establish a link.

Police said this afternoon autopsy results detailing the brutal manner of death of David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, suggest it was a crime of passion and possibly revenge. Prachum speculated that the suspect, whom he identified as homosexual, murdered the pair in a fit of jealousy.

Police said DNA material will be collected and tested from the suspect, who they said is now in Bangkok and has requested to return home. He is not being allowed to depart while the investigation continues, state media reported.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/09/17/police-blame-jealous-friend-david-and-hannah-murders-koh-tao

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-09-17

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are so lucky. If you seriously wish to view the Dailymail there is an app which is not blocked.

Apparently in the Thai language news the blood stained clothes were hidden in his luggage, also the guy had been raped too plus the girl had blonde hair in her hands, it's going to get interesting now for sure

Surely the police will by now have semen samples from the rape. And why did this guy flee on the very first ferry in the morning. He will find out all about rape when he gets to Bangkok Hilton. coffee1.gif

As his friend pointed out a few pages back he didn't flee. He went to meet his brother and has since been helping the police with their investigation.

• Like 1

Somebody asked on a forum whether there were any ex-policeman in Thailand. Look no further than this forum which appears to be awash with aspiring Poirots. Of course he was not a policeman. Who dunnit just needs to be found for many reasons. I think else, out of some respect for the pair, we should, as they, put a sock in it and wait

• Like 1

Police Misidentify Murdered Britons in CCTV Footage

By Khaosod English

14109410121410941627l.jpg

A photo given to the media by police that was mistakenly identified as the 2 British tourists who were murdered later that night on 15 Sept 2014.

BANGKOK — Police say they mistakenly identified two people in a photograph distributed to the media as the British tourists who were murdered on the popular island of Koh Tao on Monday.

Police initially said the still photograph taken from CCTV footage showed David Miller, 24, and Hanner Witheridge, 23, walking hand-in-hand away from a beachside party on Haat Sai Ri Beach on the night of 15 September. The pair was later found naked and beaten to death on the beach at 6:30am on 16 September.

But Pol.Col. Prachum Ruengthong, a commander of Pha Ngan Police who oversees Koh Tao island, said today that the photograph did not in fact depict the two victims.

According to Pol.Col. Prachum, the officers in charge of CCTV investigation "made their own assumption" and misidentified the pair. The police currently have no CCTV footage of the victims, he added.

Police earlier insisted the image showed the two murder victims, following several requests for confirmation by Khaosod English.

"There has been a lot of information [given to the media] through many channels," Pol.Col. Prachum explained. "Each officer gave their own piece of information. From now on, I will be the only person who gives information."

However, Pol.Col. Prachum said the other image given to the media of a man who police say behaved suspiciously near where the bodies were found is still valid. Police are still searching for the man, though the latest reports say two British friends of Mr. Miller are also being considered as possible suspects.

Three male migrant workers from Myanmar were cleared by police yesterday after being detained and interrogated about the incident.

The mis-identified photograph is one of several blunders made by Thai police and media investigating the murder case over the past few days.

Thai police previously gave unsubstantiated and bizarre statements about the murder, such as the claim that one of Mr. Miller's friends was a "gay man" who possibly committed the murder out of jealousy, and the announcement that the island had been “sealed off,” whereas in reality boats were permitted to leave the docks normally.

These claims were widely reported by major Thai media agencies.

Police also made contradictory statements about a British friend of Mr. Miller, who was initially considered a suspect, then released after questioning and declared unrelated to the murder, only to be detained again as a potential suspect this morning.

The bodies of Mr. Miller and Ms. Witheridge arrived in Bangkok yesterday for an autopsy.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1410941012

[khaosod]2014-09-17[/khaosod

This was on Yahoo UK early today and everyone, apart from the BIB, seems to have noticed the lady featured wasn't blond.

The Pol. Col. was so correct about each officer and their own piece of information but where was the CONTROL, why was everyone allowed to spout off willy nilly ?

Sorry but a rhetorical question and the BIB wonder why their investigations turn into a cl.......ck !

Straight black hair, very short compared to the farang man, wearing Thai style hot pants. The girl looks rather like a Thai to me - probably a rental.

• Like 2

Police Col. Prachum Ruangthong, commander of Pha Ngan police department, told reporters he believes the killer was a British travel companion who is currently in police custody, according to INN, while DNA tests are underway to establish a link.

Police said this afternoon autopsy results detailing the brutal manner of death of David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, suggest it was a crime of passion and possibly revenge. Prachum speculated that the suspect, whom he identified as homosexual, murdered the pair in a fit of jealousy.

Is it just me who thinks this policeman is completely out of order?

From the Daily Mail

"Last night the investigation appeared to be going the way of other investigations of Britons murdered in Thailand,

in which first the foreigners are blamed and then migrant labourers."

"There were also 362 deaths of Britons in Thailand in 2013/14. Although this figure included those who died of natural causes, the total was more than in any other country except Spain, which received around 12 times the number of Britons than Thailand."

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Is this about the Daily Mail being blocked?.....................

Im praying to god there isn't a setup going to happen. Embassy is closed now, how do you go about getting "Scotland Yard" there or some high up British officials???

The embassey will be on this, despite what others are going to tell you. It's too high profile for them to drag their arse.

So those brit girls with drugs lied, lied, and lied to protect their a**es? Surely not.

The point was that most Brits agreed the Thai autorities were corrupt when they were not. Too many people are so keen to use the "corruption" angle to defend any crime by people from the West.

You are so lucky. If you seriously wish to view the Dailymail there is an app which is not blocked.

Found a workaround. If you copy the link address and paste it into your browser, it expands and gets you right to the article. The picture's okay. The first thing that comes to mind, unless this guy just got a haircut, no one got a handful of his hair. Would seem to be too short. And certainly not blonde. Mai chai.

I can't believe they identify him as homosexual what the hell, thats complete rubbish !!! how can the police commander come to that conclusion?

just reading that coconut report its obscene!

Be prepared for more crap like this mate. This is where we see the real dark side of Thai mentality unfortunantly

• Like 2

I can't believe they identify him as homosexual what the hell, thats complete rubbish !!! how can the police commander come to that conclusion?

just reading that coconut report its obscene!

Be prepared for more crap like this mate. This is where we see the real dark side of Thai mentality unfortunantly

Its outrageous, how the hell can he decide something like that?

How desperate to pin this, I feel like crying

• Like 1

Found a workaround. If you copy the link address and paste it into your browser, it expands and gets you right to the article. The picture's okay. The first thing that comes to mind, unless this guy just got a haircut, no one got a handful of his hair. Would seem to be too short. And certainly not blonde. Mai chai.

Sorry mate, I have no wish to view the Dailymail. Just trying to help you out.

I don't give a damn of the nationality of the killer or the reputation of Thailand.

What I want is the real killer to be found for the sakes of the families of those kids and the sakes of other people being killed by the same murderer.

I believe you. I agree with you. I said this in my only post on the subject shortly after the first news report. Unfortunately, so many MANY of the Official Thai Visa Committee On Picking Up The White Man's Burden don't agree with you. They have lost face. Oh my. They were posting from Minute 1 about the nasty, violent Thais. Yeah, well, this is a horrible crime whoever did it, and white people do this stuff, too. Whoever did it must pay, along with any helpers/enablers.
I had a problem right from the start with both Thais and Burmese doing this particular, horrible crime - because they had no motive to do what was done. This poor couple had no valuables to steal, weren't in anyone's face, didn't cause any ruckus. The only possible motive seems to be a kind of jealousy, a "crime of passion" as they say.
The stupid people - and they ARE stupid - who immediately piled not only on the Thais but Thailand - will they have the grace to be contrite? Is the Pope a Muslim?
  • Like 2

I don't give a damn of the nationality of the killer or the reputation of Thailand.

What I want is the real killer to be found for the sakes of the families of those kids and the sakes of other people being killed by the same murderer.

I believe you. I agree with you. I said this in my only post on the subject shortly after the first news report. Unfortunately, so many MANY of the Official Thai Visa Committee On Picking Up The White Man's Burden don't agree with you. They have lost face. Oh my. They were posting from Minute 1 about the nasty, violent Thais. Yeah, well, this is a horrible crime whoever did it, and white people do this stuff, too. Whoever did it must pay, along with any helpers/enablers.
I had a problem right from the start with both Thais and Burmese doing this particular, horrible crime - because they had no motive to do what was done. This poor couple had no valuables to steal, weren't in anyone's face, didn't cause any ruckus. The only possible motive seems to be a kind of jealousy, a "crime of passion" as they say.
The stupid people - and they ARE stupid - who immediately piled not only on the Thais but Thailand - will they have the grace to be contrite? Is the Pope a Muslim?

Mate a Thai on a two day Yabba or Ice bender is more than capable of doing this in a moment of drug induced madness

• Like 1