Kind way to keep a bird away from window

Konini

Recently a bird has started to come to one of our bedroom windows - along with the curtains they are always open - and it kind of attaches itself to the top corner of the fly screen. Not really doing any harm, but every time I see it I jump, thinking there's a monster sized spider there or something more sinister and almost every time I see it, it's just as I'm waking up or during the night in that not really awake stage and turning over . I've banged my head a couple of times, headboard and last night the bedside drawers - I gave myself quite a knock, actually rolling out of the bed and crash landing on the floor, not a very nice way to wake up. It really is scary when you're half asleep and spot this big black mass up there out of the corner of your eye. Husband says it may have nested there in previous years and that's why it's back. I don't know if it goes there during daylight hours as I'm not in there often apart from after the sun goes down.

I have no desire to hurt it but don't want more lumps on my head. Is there something I can put in the spot that it goes to to discourage it? I'm thinking something with a strong smell like citronella, or maybe spraying some odourless oil onto the screen to make it slippery (yes, I know how stupid that sounds. I quite possibly have concussion tongue.png).

Konini, what about a simple solution to your problem.

Just close the curtain for some time so you won't see the bird.

It will go away in a day or 2 and you will save yourself of more lumps on your head.

Try it and please come back and tell us if it worked.

and on the back of the curtains; a picture of a cat..........or an eagle

I've been hoping it would go away - its been 3 or 4 weeks now so I doubt closing the curtains would work. It's Not every night either, or maybe every night whilst I'm asleep and don't notice it, and oddly, not at the same times of the night.

It's just trying to wind me up, isn't it? Having a laugh with all his mates. I can just hear him, 'You should have seen her face as she was falling out of the bed, chortle chortle chortle'.

Konini, what about a simple solution to your problem.

Just close the curtain for some time so you won't see the bird.

It will go away in a day or 2 and you will save yourself of more lumps on your head.

Try it and please come back and tell us if it worked.

and on the back of the curtains; a picture of a cat..........or an eagle

Better still, get a cat.

Fake rubber snake or hanging DVD will do it. But you have to move the snake from time to time or the bird will not fear it.

Basically, movement or anything the bird sees as a predator will scare it off. You could also get pigeon spikes, but I have not seen them for sale here. Perhaps you could import them or have them made at a local shop.

Is the bird attracted to its own reflection in the window ? Either it is looking for a mate or it has fallen in love with his own reflection as Narcissus did. Perhaps you could cover the widow with some shade cloth so air still gets thru or other material ( on the outside of the window)so the window is not reflective, and let the poor bird suffer another lost love .He or she will get over it as we all have (many times i am afraid).

• Like 1

I could go he fake snake route, heard this one many times in Australia, but if the outline of a harmless little bird makes me jump sufficient to fall out of bed and hit my noggin, a vision of a snake slithering up my bedroom window might leave me in hospital ! I'm not talking about logical times, I'm talking about that time when you're not really awake and your not really asleep. Just before the logical, well-informed mind and memroy cranks up and kicks in. It's on the possibility list, but only if I exhaust all other methods.

The DVD thing? I sit on the balcony sometimes and watch as the pigeon fly down and sit right next to the DVD's hanging from balconies. It's rather comical. Some of them actually peck away at them as if they were grooming and checking out their look in the mirror, just like Anuty Nancy's blue and yellow budgie used to do with it's mirror in the cage.

My bird isn't an 'orible pigeon, husband referred to it as a bit like a house martin or wren, from the look of his feet he can't stand up in his own right, but can only cling on. (I said that with great authority as if I knew even the teensiest little thing about birds) (I have no idea if that has something to do with the solution or not, I'm not in the slightest knowledgeable (interested) in such things. In fact, I have no idea at all why he told me that at all. I really don 't care how or why he clings onto the top corner of the flyscreen, I just want him to cling on to someone else's flyscreen. I wouldn't mind helping him to make a little house for himself this yea if that's what he wants, but don't want to feel committed to doing it over and over and over (if birds live that long even).

Maybe there asking you for food ?

myself have 2 hanging trays, the only time the birds come to the window net is to make a big noise is to tell me the bird tray I have forgotten and they need food.. 5 little birds swinging away eating at this moment. some maybe Moms as have 5 bird nest in the garden.

No idea what a picture of a cat will do ?

post-42643-0-35721200-1411002621_thumb.j

We had this big bird with very long tail come to our house

quite regularly,when we open the sliding windows,they cover

the other side of the window,which must make a mirror effect,

So he's displaying in a tree in front of the window,looked like

he was having a great time and it was fun to watch,returned

same time everyday for over a week.

regards worgeordie

Is the bird attracted to its own reflection in the window ? Either it is looking for a mate or it has fallen in love with his own reflection as Narcissus did. Perhaps you could cover the widow with some shade cloth so air still gets thru or other material ( on the outside of the window)so the window is not reflective, and let the poor bird suffer another lost love .He or she will get over it as we all have (many times i am afraid).

I have fantasies about birds trying to get through my bedroom window in the hope of mating, but that`s off topic and another story.

The solution to the OP`s bird problem is this: on the part of the window frame or whatever part of the window it likes to hangout, place on a piece of double sided sticky tape. Then drape over a large piece of loose hanging cellophane paper, pressing the the centre part of the cellophane hard onto the double sided tape so as the cellophane remains on the window and not blown off during a windy day.

This will prevent the bird from gripping, especially when the cellophane becomes wet after a rainy down pour and the morning dew, hence solving the problem.

I have fantasies about birds trying to get through my bedroom window in the hope of mating, but that`s off topic and another story.

The solution to the OP`s bird problem is this: on the part of the window frame or whatever part of the window it likes to hangout, place on a piece of double sided sticky tape. Then drape over a large piece of loose hanging cellophane paper, pressing the the centre part of the cellophane hard onto the double sided tape so as the cellophane remains on the window and not blown off during a windy day.

This will prevent the bird from gripping, especially when the cellophane becomes wet after a rainy down pour and the morning dew, hence solving the problem.

Now that sounds perfect. He goes up to the same spot, right in the top corner every time, so it won't be hard to do, and not a.huge coverup job.

Thank you, I'll give it a go tomorrow. Now, about those disturbing thoughts you've been having about broody, flying, feathered break and enterer's........... blink.png

Now that sounds perfect. He goes up to the same spot, right in the top corner every time, so it won't be hard to do, and not a.huge coverup job.

Thank you, I'll give it a go tomorrow. Now, about those disturbing thoughts you've been having about broody, flying, feathered break and enterer's........... blink.png

My psychiatrist says; that if I continue taking the green tablets, I`ll get over it.

• Like 1