Going to PENANG Island for the first time. help/suggestions please?

noordawdieh

i am a jordanian going to penang island for 3 days . .but i need to know about the cheapest ways to get through the trip? because i went to langkawi last week and spent too much money. and now all i need to know is do you know any cheap motels/hotels in penang?

and where to go , Tanning Bungah beach or Batu Ferringhi ?

i want the cheapest around the beach and the better nightlife area :)

You are from a wonderful country! I spent a few weeks there 2 years ago. Had a fantastic time. Great people.

I'm no expert, but I would think you'd do best by staying in Georgetown. Batu Ferringhi is OK, but not much nightlife and mainly big hotels on the beach. The beach is just OK...not fantastic. I would think the cheapest hotels would be downtown Georgetown. Maybe try something like airbnb or hostels.com?

been in an out of Penang a few times this year, Penang

Just head to Chula street, u can find cheap rooms

Plenty of Indian restaurants where a very good meal will cost ya less than 10 MYR

Bus's are cheap to get around, main terminal under Komtar

Beaches suck compared to Thailand

Nightlife?? its Moslem but there plenty of places to enjoy an overpriced beer.

Cheap rooms @Chula, but pretty gritty. It's the only time I walked out of a paid up room and moved myself somewhere a little higher priced.

Ignore the Muslim remark. Penang has a colorful history and is more diverse and open than the rest of peninsular Malaysia. You'll find enough to do. Aggressive hookers, though, in my experience. Before you go, check online for any interesting festivals happening. http://www.tourismpenang.net.my/index.php/Festivals/fascinating-festivals. Recommend a visit to Kek Lok Si in Air Itam. Extraordinarily large Chinese temple.

I would also say the George Town area as well. There is a lot to see and do there and a variety of cultures, too.

I also agree about Batu Ferrengi being mostly big hotels, but you might be able to find something. The Gurney Drive area has some nice things to do there too.

I cry myself to sleep every night missing the food at Mr. Shawerma there, but there is so much other good food to be had all over the island.

In July I rented a room in a town house @ Pearl Hill. I paid $124.00 for seven nights. A driver lives a few houses up the street and I paid him to take me places, leave me to do my thing and come and get me later. It was very affordable. DO NOT MISS GEORGETOWN. Have a grand time!

Some of the Chula street "hotels" are pretty bad.... bah.gifcheck out rooms before committing!

Last time I was down there I stayed at the Broadway Hotel, which was reasonable at 80 MR ... a few blocks away from Chula, but I cannot remember the street (Indian shopping district area)

Interesting to walk around the district and drive around the island, but I can't say I really found any nice beach areas!

Lots of interesting places to see.... and the natives are friendly! thumbsup.gif

well i have been to penang a few times and i am not impressed at all infact i didnt like it much thailand i better sorry but not impressed .so i am done going there for good better to go some place fun like sing or something

Edited by camsouth

You can get a bus pass at the central station in town and take the 101 bus I think to Batu Ferangi or take it to the end and you will be in a lovely national park and good food stalls there too. Little India is a treat and great food and lots of other nice bars and restaurants in Penang, I love the place may consider living there but not sure about foreign ownership. I find the Malaysians very respectful towards forefingers.

• Like 2