Unlimited Gprs For 799 Baht With True Move

pinophai

• 4 weeks later...
thought i would respond to this to see if anyone has tried this yet.what is the unlimited gprs 256k?

Well from 18 years working in the mobile phone industry GPRS on AIS means an indicated 115Kbps of information that you can use for data, HOWEVER, in real life I get a usable 10 Kbps on a really good day.

GPRS is a mobile phone system and the only system that is anything good is Hutch using CDMA.

256Kbps is only possible at the moment if you have a dedicated fibre optic cable using ADSL and you live about 25 metres from the exchange and that is not guaranteed either.

Unless True bought the old Orange mobile phone network then they probably can't give you GPRS. If they did and you live fairly close to a base station then you can use it. If on the other hand like me you live waaay out in the boonies you will probably get the choice of AIS and GPRS or DTAC with GPRS as the EDGE system for DTAC (better than GPRS) is really only available in the bigger cities.

Up here we just changed out some of the bean tins and string for telephone lines but they couldn't run a piece of string 4 1/2 Km to where I live.

o.k., i know i could just go to the orange page and look around, but i am currently using gprs with a 5kbps speed, and all these web pages are loaded with flash and java crap that make the page load in about 15 minutes. my question is, where is the coverage of this 256k gprs connection. i would sure like to have this, as i am paying about the same price for my 56k connection with dtac. i even just bought a nokia 6630 hoping i could take advantage of the 3g someday in the near future. thanks,,,,,,,,john

o.k., i know i could just go to the orange page and look around, but i am currently using gprs with a 5kbps speed, and all these web pages are loaded with flash and java crap that make the page load in about 15 minutes. my question is, where is the coverage of this 256k gprs connection. i would sure like to have this, as i am paying about the same price for my 56k connection with dtac. i even just bought a nokia 6630 hoping i could take advantage of the 3g someday in the near future. thanks,,,,,,,,john

I think only Bangkok area and Pattaya. Better you go to some shop from orange/truemove and ask.

yes ... EDGE coverage is limited to around BKK and not all phones support EDGE ... outside of BKK it'll slow down A LOT!

That being said ... using BlueTooth from phone to laptop suited me on AIS for about 5 months ... and I still pay 200 baht/mo for 50 hours of GPRS through AIS so I can surf anywhere (or use msn messenger from my Nokia 9300 phone)

yes ... EDGE coverage is limited to around BKK and not all phones support EDGE ... outside of BKK it'll slow down A LOT!

That being said ... using BlueTooth from phone to laptop suited me on AIS for about 5 months ... and I still pay 200 baht/mo for 50 hours of GPRS through AIS so I can surf anywhere (or use msn messenger from my Nokia 9300 phone)

And how is the speed?

about like dialup 900 baht a month for 400 hours ....

worked anywhere ....

decent while at a piss-up and you need to check online for something

I need internet for in my home but I don't have a landline. Still not sure what to do. Gprs or sat internet?

about like dialup 900 baht a month for 400 hours ....

worked anywhere ....

decent while at a piss-up and you need to check online for something

I need internet for in my home but I don't have a landline. Still not sure what to do. Gprs or sat internet?

I have no landline, I use IpStar (csloxinfo). It is ok, not as fast as I would like, and very slow at certain times of the day, but overall it is ok. Speed is less than ADSL, but I think better than GPRS (I have limited experience of that). I have heard that there is a new service provider also using the IpStar satellites, giving better performance, but don't know anything about it. Many people give IpStar bad reviews, so don't just listen to me, check around... :o

as i said earlier, i replaced my nokia ngage qd with a 6630. the modem speed has picked up 25%. from around 4.1k down to around 5 to 5.5k down. the upload speed should be better too, but i have n't really looked int o it . not really important , maybe an improvement from .5k to 1.5k up.

Check if Hutch provides their service in your area it's better than GPRS and some people here say it's even better than EDGE. It's limited to 25 central provinces at the moment and they are negotiating the terms of merging Hutch and CAT's networkd to cover the whole country.

Hey,

I am using DTAC GPRS and I want to clear up some of the confusion here:

* First of all, speeds are measured in bits per second, and with stop bits you can say 10 bits == 1 byte. Therefore, if you see an advert for 256Kbps (bits per second) you will get max. 25KB/second. That's 25 Kilobytes per second. Not exciting speed!

* The fastest DSL in thailand has 1Mbps, or 1024Kbps, which translates to a download speed of 100KB/sec at the most. I do get these speeds even to outside, but only in the middle of the night, e.g. at 5 am. Otherwise, download speeds are around 30KB/s.

* GPRS: The fastest you can get over GPRS is 48 Kbps, or 4 Kilobytes / second download speed. This is dead slow and makes browsing NOT FUN. It's good enough for email though.

* GPRS EDGE: A faster version of GPRS which can give you over 200Kbps if you are lucky. EDGE is a better version of GPRS and if you phone can do EDGE it will go in EDGE mode automatically where available, and default to GPRS where EDGE is not available.

There are several caveats to EDGE:

* You need an EDGE class 10 or higher device to really take advantage. The class indicates how many channels EDGE can use simultaneously.

* If people around you make voice calls, they take some of that bandwidth. Voice calls always have precedence.

* EDGE is offered only by DTAC to my knowledge, and doesn't work - in my experience - anywhere outside Bangkok city. I tried in the outskirts of BKK - nothing. It also works in two (yes, 2!) spots in Chiang Mai, around the airport and around the university. Not too exciting.

* My real-life test of EDGE inside Siam Paragon yielded download speeds of 10 Kilobytes / second. Better than GPRS but hardly something to write home about. I got 100Kbps, most likely because people in there are using their cell phones...

* UMTS or other 3G technologies: Only offered by Hutch in BKK and some central provinces. This is the only kind of internet via mobile which will feel fast. I have not tried it because I don't live in BKK but if I was there I would probably get it.

Let me know if you have more questions. As of now, and until AIS starts offering real 3G, I am afraid internet over cell phone will remain a rather unsatisfying experience. I only use it as backup system in case the DSL goes down.

Edit: I forgot to mention, other than pure bandwidth, network lag also affects how fast a connection feels. DSL in Thailand feels very slow compared to outside mostly because of lag times around 300ms vs. 50 or less when in the USA. GPRS is much worse, with lag times 800 - 1000ms, EDGE a bit better, and UMTS/3G a lot better but still worse than DSL. Lag is the time that passes from when your request to the server goes out to when you get a response. Lag time makes GPRS feel slow, in any case.

A handy list of EDGE or EGPRS (same thing) phones and their EDGE class here:

http://www.heise.de/mobil/artikel/75359/3

I didn't know True offers EDGE as well - I also would be interested to know where. Though I have little hope it will be any better than DTAC...

Edited by nikster

Well from 18 years working in the mobile phone industry GPRS on AIS means an indicated 115Kbps of information that you can use for data, HOWEVER, in real life I get a usable 10 Kbps on a really good day.

.......you dont know what you are talking about - using GPRS/EDGE you can get about 100kbps in some areas in Thailand. In most other areas you can about 40kbps using a class 10 gprs device. (not sure about orange though). This may drop to 20 kbps between 6:00 to 8:00pm - alhough maybe less if you use a bean can and string telephone line

GPRS is a mobile phone system and the only system that is anything good is Hutch using CDMA.

.......no gprs and edge (AIS and DTAC) has nationwide coverage (almost) for GPRS and has good coverage for EDGE in pattaya, bangkok and chiang mai. Hutch caoverage is non-existant in most places. But yes it is faster.

256Kbps is only possible at the moment if you have a dedicated fibre optic cable using ADSL and you live about 25 metres from the exchange and that is not guaranteed either.

......say what? ADSL is analogue and optical fibre is digital. There is not such thing as "fibre optic running ADSL" You can get a reasonable ADSL connection (1mbps) for less than 2000 a month in many areas. In other areas it is pants.

Unless True bought the old Orange mobile phone network then they probably can't give you GPRS. If they did and you live fairly close to a base station then you can use it. If on the other hand like me you live waaay out in the boonies you will probably get the choice of AIS and GPRS or DTAC with GPRS as the EDGE system for DTAC (better than GPRS) is really only available in the bigger cities.

.....EDGE is also avialable with AIS - but only in Chiang Mai city centre

Up here we just changed out some of the bean tins and string for telephone lines but they couldn't run a piece of string 4 1/2 Km to where I live.

.....hmm

I used a friend's Hutch in Pattaya and found it pretty good. Much better than Gprs. Hutch like True has very limited coverage. I have been using AIS Gprs through my Nokia 6230 and a Bluetooth dongle. I have been waiting three weeks for TOT to finish connecting my Ipstar. It is beginning to look like TOT Ipstar has a lot of issues also. They promised two weeks and the job is half done. I may try to get by with Gprs and tell them to cancel my order. DISGUSTING to be lied to all the time. :o

You will get a better result if you buy a GPRS / EDGE PC Card rather than trying to use a mobile phone. The software that comes with a PC card will tell you exactly what is going on: signal strength, speed, etc. as well giving better reliabilty and connectivity.

If you only have access to GPRS then there are other ways to speed up surfing: subscribe to OnSpeed or Nitro. As well as reducing the size of graphics files they use accelerated servers which speed up the overall download speed.

Flashswitch will stop macromedia files at the server so the page will load more quickly. You will still get adverts but they won't be heavy graphics files.

If you have a very slow landline then consider switching off images all together and just download text.

Tune up your computer; if everything else is running slowly then your internet connection will suffer as well.

Regards

Tim

EdgeThailand.com