Durex's sexually inappropriate ad sparks outrage in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Durex condoms were what I describe as the original condoms introduced I think in England almost 100 years ago. They later became known as a packet of three because each pack contained three condoms.

Back in my days Durex condoms were mostly sold in what were known as the gentlemen’s hairdressers shops, although were also available in some drug stores. It always felt embarrassing asking a young lady staff member in a drug store for a pack of condoms, so my mates and I would visit our local hairdresser, have our hair cut and afterwards the barber would ask; anything for the weekend sir? Then the whole transaction would take place discretely without any shame or embarrassment. My mates and I had the shortest hair in town. Young ladies would rarely carry condoms, as they would have been considered women of easy virtue and of bringing discredit to their families. Now thinking; how times have changed, we were so young and innocent back in those days when matters of sex and contraception had to be done discretely, as open advertising such as in the OP would have been considered as outrageous, indecent and obscene.

During the 1960`s when the contraceptive pill entered the scene, sales of condoms dropped dramatically, the days of the condom appeared to be numbered and for the girls taking the pill, especially if they were promiscuous could be done much more discretely than carrying a pack of condoms, which was considered as the men’s duty and responsibility. Then once HIV and the aids virus reared it`s ugly head came a time of reprieve for the condom companies.

In my opinion the ways that sex and sexually related material is plied onto young people by companies and the media today has reached the extremes, there seems no boundaries that I blame on there now being so many unwanted pregnancies and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

Funny you mention being embarrassed when buying condoms... I was in New Orleans, the Big Easy right?? Yeah, I walked into a chain pharmacy and found all the condoms locked behind glass doors. I asked someone for help and they go for the loud speaker "HELP WITH CONDOMS ON AISLE 6!!" I sank into my shoes as every one in the store looked at the sex crazed monster in aisle 6. OMG! If you go to New Orleans bring your own condoms for crissake!!

• Like 2

I discussed this with a Thai colleague and she saw things slightly differently...she could see how the translation could be construed one way but understood the advert to mean that a woman who was worried about the safety of a condom would be more likely to say yes once she knew it was a Durex...

My wife's response was similar... she understood as a woman who was concerned about having unprotected sex agreed to sex if a condom was used. Sometimes, somethings just don't translate well?

Rather degrading, if interpretation is correct, to women everywhere, not only in Thailand , for a company with such a important contribution to society, if this has been reported correct , it is indeed a big stuff up.bah.gif

It's quite possible the translation is correct. After all, the West seems to be engaging in a somewhat distasteful advertising campaign regards sexual violence aimed at women. Here's another lovely link pulled from today's Independent http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/tezenis-removes-crime-scene-pants-from-oxford-street-store-after-backlash-over-rape-connotations-9738613.html

I can confirm that the translation is correct. I might have said, "finally submitted," but that's just quibbling.

I read it as "Of the women that forcefully resisted, 28% reluctantly accepted in the end"

("Kat Keun" indicates resistance to force, "Gaw Yawm", is always to indicate reluctant acceptance of an undesired outcome)

post-151798-0-05200200-1411036348_thumb.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Durex condoms were what I describe as the original condoms introduced I think in England almost 100 years ago. They later became known as a packet of three because each pack contained three condoms.

Back in my days Durex condoms were mostly sold in what were known as the gentlemen’s hairdressers shops, although were also available in some drug stores. It always felt embarrassing asking a young lady staff member in a drug store for a pack of condoms, so my mates and I would visit our local hairdresser, have our hair cut and afterwards the barber would ask; anything for the weekend sir? Then the whole transaction would take place discretely without any shame or embarrassment. My mates and I had the shortest hair in town. Young ladies would rarely carry condoms, as they would have been considered women of easy virtue and of bringing discredit to their families. Now thinking; how times have changed, we were so young and innocent back in those days when matters of sex and contraception had to be done discretely, as open advertising such as in the OP would have been considered as outrageous, indecent and obscene.

During the 1960`s when the contraceptive pill entered the scene, sales of condoms dropped dramatically, the days of the condom appeared to be numbered and for the girls taking the pill, especially if they were promiscuous could be done much more discretely than carrying a pack of condoms, which was considered as the men’s duty and responsibility. Then once HIV and the aids virus reared it`s ugly head came a time of reprieve for the condom companies.

In my opinion the ways that sex and sexually related material is plied onto young people by companies and the media today has reached the extremes, there seems no boundaries that I blame on there now being so many unwanted pregnancies and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

cue the Monty Python packet of razor blades skit

Translation only ?? Has anyone on say facebook reading a Thai typed comment, and pressed the translate to English button ??? it is complete and utter near non readable rubbish that does not even equate to English---example Bing. Anything in this land translated is never near the original, how on earth can posters here on TVF reply correctly.

Some of us read Thai. That's how.

Well, smarty pants, some of us don't, some of us rely on "Bing" for the translation from Thai! My wife, a graduate in French and English has a problem sometime with the literal translation from Thai to English, she says that Thai is so convoluted it's a wonder anyone can properly translate it! So there! You calling my wife a liar?????? biggrin.pngfacepalm.gifwai.gif

• Like 1

A friend of mine sort of married, g/f, says because they are together there is no need for a condom. WHAT---a myth. Married couples do not use because they are married here STUPID. sorry some of you guys trust and get HIV, where is the guarantee that he or she doesn't stray ???

Mega problem arises though when he/she suggests one----OH so you don't trust me then ??? These singles have a problem using durex, wait till your married ---a bigger problem.

A friend of mine sort of married, g/f, says because they are together there is no need for a condom. WHAT---a myth. Married couples do not use because they are married here STUPID. sorry some of you guys trust and get HIV, where is the guarantee that he or she doesn't stray ???

Mega problem arises though when he/she suggests one----OH so you don't trust me then ??? These singles have a problem using durex, wait till your married ---a bigger problem.

Now I'm confused!!

Must wear a condom because you are single - must wear a condom because you are married?

• Like 1

Why am i not surprised about Thais forcing themselves on woman?

Farang maybe, but I don't think Thai men need to resort to force.

Obviously you've never heard of "Plumbing" in Thailand, it's very very common in Thailand, try watching Thai soaps sometime! wink.pngwhistling.gifwai.gif

ginjag, on 18 Sept 2014 - 10:17, said:
Boxclever, on 18 Sept 2014 - 10:10, said:

I hope Durex's Thai Brand Manager gets crucified for this.

OK if the translation is correct--doubt. BUT if Thailand-instead of rubbishing an ad/comment--actually welcomed Durex, gave out the companies product free to all the youngsters it could save many a heartache.

Problem here is some words they do not like---as opposed to helping the pregnancy crisis.

Funny, I needed a laugh. I would suspect the "good" general would ban condoms, given his remark about bikinis. It seems he lives in bygone days and wants to impose his moral views on Thailand.

Now I'm confused!!

Must wear a condom because you are single - must wear a condom because you are married?

With one you are pretty much covered with safety, single or married. Married does not make your partner not stray.

A lot of women say they consented because they were afraid of being killed. It is a horrible crime that leaves a woman terrified. They never get over it.

Consented? No, more like gave up.

I dont think it was addressing the rape issue but rather the far more common issue of a boyfriend constantly begging for sex and to which girls, who start out saying no, eventually give in to without any threats or force being used. In fact it also is often the case that people of either sex will say no, because of their beliefs or principles, but eventually "give in" to their own sexual feelings, feelings that are particularly strong amongst young people. Durex is a world wide responsible brand that I am sure would never intentionally say that a person being raped or foced into sex is in any way "giving in" or "consenting". They are merely saying that people shoud be prepared even though their original intention was not to have sex.

It would of course be far easier to combat the risks of sex if we just accepted it as a normal learning experience without applying taboos based on misinterpretations of dubious testamets.

Edited by gbswales
  • Like 1

Now I'm confused!!

With one you are pretty much covered with safety, single or married. Married does not make your partner not stray.

or just abstain...forever w00t.gif

Now I'm confused!!

or just abstain...forever w00t.gif

Use a damp bread loaf--wheat grain is more exciting for the feel. no viruses from these. no 20k a month----no yap yap yap where are you going, no pranging your car--no having it off with their Thai lover behind your back, government ought to give out free whole grain bread loaves to young Thai lads.

• Like 1

Rather degrading, if interpretation is correct, to women everywhere, not only in Thailand , for a company with such a important contribution to society, if this has been reported correct , it is indeed a big stuff up.bah.gif

It's quite possible the translation is correct. After all, the West seems to be engaging in a somewhat distasteful advertising campaign regards sexual violence aimed at women. Here's another lovely link pulled from today's Independent http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/tezenis-removes-crime-scene-pants-from-oxford-street-store-after-backlash-over-rape-connotations-9738613.html

I can confirm that the translation is correct. I might have said, "finally submitted," but that's just quibbling.

I read it as "Of the women that forcefully resisted, 28% reluctantly accepted in the end"

("Kat Keun" indicates resistance to force, "Gaw Yawm", is always to indicate reluctant acceptance of an undesired outcome)

attachicon.gifDurexThailand11.jpg

Yup thats what it says. its also clear its advocating rape.

Its been a while since ive seen such a main brand use such a disgusting gimmick ... I hope it goes viral because it needs to.

someone send it to the British newspapers ....

Edited by englishoak

I discussed this with a Thai colleague and she saw things slightly differently...she could see how the translation could be construed one way but understood the advert to mean that a woman who was worried about the safety of a condom would be more likely to say yes once she knew it was a Durex...

this sound reasonable!! nothing inappropriate....why not?

coffee1.gif

this sound reasonable!! nothing inappropriate....why not?

coffee1.gif

She lied!

Read my translation.

Thais routinely lie to foreigners on many topics.

I would actually like to meet with the "Thai colleague" and have a discussion with her about why her translation can be so different to my translation. Quite happy for the discussion about this, fairly simple, Thai advert to be in Thai or English.

Or go to the Durex site and read all the negative comments, in Thai, from Thais about Durex encouraging rape. Or did all the Thais complaining also not understand the meaning of the sentence?

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Translation only ?? Has anyone on say facebook reading a Thai typed comment, and pressed the translate to English button ??? it is complete and utter near non readable rubbish that does not even equate to English---example Bing. Anything in this land translated is never near the original, how on earth can posters here on TVF reply correctly.

The problem is partly due to Thai being a tonal language, but not entirely, these types of statistical machine translators such as Bing and Google are reliant solely on bilingual research paper submissions on the net. As Thailand does not produce as many bilingual papers as some countries the translations are quite poor in comparison to many languages.

Bing is the god of translators.

• Like 1