Thai PM 'sorry' for bikini remarks after Brit murder

webfact

Fair play to the General/PM at least he's stepped up, although I don't believe he said what he did with malice, and his attempts at humour backfired.

He didn't say it with malice? Have you actually read what he said? It could not have been more hurtful to the grieving parents and you must be one sick puppy if you think humour is appropriate at a time like this. He HAD to step up, the press are showing him for what he is - a clown with no clue on anything, except why to wear rings on one hand so he can shake with the other one.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair play to the General/PM at least he's stepped up, although I don't believe he said what he did with malice, and his attempts at humour backfired.

He didn't say it with malice? Have you actually read what he said? It could not have been more hurtful to the grieving parents and you must be one sick puppy if you think humour is appropriate at a time like this. He HAD to step up, the press are showing him for what he is - a clown with no clue on anything, except why to wear rings on one hand so he can shake with the other one.

I see you found another guy you can insult.

• Like 1

I'm sure it's already been said, but the apology is meaningless because his remark has already exposed his true xenophobic nature and lack of intelligence. He is still scratching head and wondering why the people around him have told him to apologize. Not a clue of what he's done wrong.

Lack of intelligence?

Are you joking?

In less than a year he has very successfully turned this country around to a sustainable path and managed to outwit many sophisticated influential organizations that were all on the dole. Not the least of which was The last PM and her brother.

Just because you disagree with a man you assume he lacks intelligence? What happens when its shown he has intelligence? Where does that leave you?

Did he outwit or out-muscle?

I don't think everybody would agree that by suddenly removing the livelihood of beach vendors who were earning their income in that way for decades in many cases was the best move without considering how these people would get income afterwards. Sure they were encroaching on public land for the past 40 years or so, but that's because corrupt officials allowed and profited from it, lulling them into a belief that they could continue. I think there are more many situations where he used power of position or the muscle of his troops rather than intelligence and wit.

Edited by waynethor

The ethnocentric farang will never understand what he said. In Thailand people do this kind of jokes all the time. It's better to joke than to cry.

Very true. They always laugh if you have a problem or accident. Almost as though trying to cheer you up and help show you that things aren't so bad.

The message about taking care, dressing appropriately, heightened awareness at certain times / in certain environments are all good messages that travelers should be aware of.

However, the timing was off. This warning should have come after condolences to the bereaved, and after ensuring a thorough investigation was in process.

I'm sure it's already been said, but the apology is meaningless because his remark has already exposed his true xenophobic nature and lack of intelligence. He is still scratching head and wondering why the people around him have told him to apologize. Not a clue of what he's done wrong.

Lack of intelligence?

Are you joking?

In less than a year he has very successfully turned this country around to a sustainable path and managed to outwit many sophisticated influential organizations that were all on the dole. Not the least of which was The last PM and her brother.

Just because you disagree with a man you assume he lacks intelligence? What happens when its shown he has intelligence? Where does that leave you?

Has he really turned it around? I say that because on the surface it "appears" that a lot has been done, but on the ground, little has changed. The corruption is still there, the illegal activities still persist, there is still jet skies, and parasails, on the beaches on Phuket, police are still asking for tea money, no one of "influence" has been charged/jailed/fined.. all we have seen is a few bottom feeders thrown off beaches.

• Like 2

The PM was careless in his choice of words, and bikinis have long been common beachwear. But while there is absolutely no excuse for men to presume a woman's intentions, simply because of her choice of dress, let's be brutally frank: the objective of that choice is often to attract; or to at least stand out.

And like it or not, some men will always presume.

It is interesting to note that an eminent female High Court judge in the UK has made similar remarks to the Thai PM recently that young women do put themselves at unnecessary risk by dressing provocatively and consuming too much alcohol.

I don't know why there is such an outcry at such sensible remarks.

If one got caught up in a house fire having left an open fire unguarded, or failed to install smoke detectors, or made a habit of drinking heavily and falling asleep while smoking, then, despite sympathy for the victim, questions would reasonably be asked as to why the person was so careless

Forget the issue of clothing in this sad murder case, would the couple still be alive had they consumed less alcohol and refrained from, what appears to have been, having sex in a public place only yards away from other party goers?

penwithcris, on 19 Sept 2014 - 17:40, said:

It is interesting to note that an eminent female High Court judge in the UK has made similar remarks to the Thai PM recently that young women do put themselves at unnecessary risk by dressing provocatively and consuming too much alcohol.

I don't know why there is such an outcry at such sensible remarks.

If one got caught up in a house fire having left an open fire unguarded, or failed to install smoke detectors, or made a habit of drinking heavily and falling asleep while smoking, then, despite sympathy for the victim, questions would reasonably be asked as to why the person was so careless

Forget the issue of clothing in this sad murder case, would the couple still be alive had they consumed less alcohol and refrained from, what appears to have been, having sex in a public place only yards away from other party goers?

The answer to your last question is simple I hope you understand it....... no-one knows if they would be alive or not.

I think I am actually starting to like the guy. Not for his apology, but for his honest statement of the obvious that got him in trouble. It has long been politically incorrect and taboo to blame any victim for anything, but anybody that thinks a hot sexily dressed woman walking through a bad neighborhood alone is not less likely to be molested that say a woman dressed in a full Muslim cover up suit is out of touch with reality.

So I've also stated the obvious, so let's get started all you TV apologists, lynch me.

Agree with your reasoning, but in the case in question the victim was not "a hot sexily dressed woman walking through a bad neighborhood alone" And as far as the PM is concerned, I think the apology will do much to repair the damage to the Thai reputation abroad that was caused by idiots threatening to go in disguise in to an "enemy" camp in order to facilitate an arrest, or challenge their political opponents to a fist fight!!!

The British Government in its latest advisory to travelers to Thailand and other exotic oriental destinations, has reccommended a dress code for females using the bathing beaches at Thai resorts.

Younger females are urged to cover up in order to avoid inflaming the local males.

Please note, I am fully aware of the recent tragedy and the gravity of the situation.

post-9891-0-26911300-1411130145_thumb.jppost-9891-0-14534400-1411130146_thumb.jppost-9891-0-00183100-1411130147_thumb.jp

Lack of intelligence?

Are you joking?

I'm not agreeing that he is 'stupid', to be clear; that is far too simple a reaction, certainly. However, your description is absurdly oversimplified and too resembling of propaganda to be respectable. This events you are referring to were based on military force, not the clever design or righteousness you attribute to them. You have a right to your opinion, of course. But, the propaganda you're repeating doesn't seem to be of much reflection.

Regarding another comment of yours, "Don't forget George W Bush #43. He had some classic guffaws." - that is true; but the last thing the world needs is another George Bush.

The only people that need another GWB are the comedy writers for Saturday Night Live !

Lack of intelligence?

Are you joking?

Did he outwit or out-muscle?

I don't think everybody would agree that by suddenly removing the livelihood of beach vendors who were earning their income in that way for decades in many cases was the best move without considering how these people would get income afterwards. Sure they were encroaching on public land for the past 40 years or so, but that's because corrupt officials allowed and profited from it, lulling them into a belief that they could continue. I think there are more many situations where he used power of position or the muscle of his troops rather than intelligence and wit.

I see you are a new poster? Does that mean you are relatively new to thailand?

If you don't think the military had a well planned strategy to begin the hard task of turning this country from the destructive path it was headed then we probably won''t have much to talk about.

All you see is a blunt use of power? You don't see a strategy that has proven quite successful?

No disrespect but are you a young man?

• Like 1

Political correctness gone mad. General Prayuth wasnt too far off the mark. He should have added excessive drinking and whatever else the young take nowadays to his equation. The reality is, if girls wear skimpy clothes (whether to intentionally look sexy or for practical purpposes) and are partying into the early hours they increase risk of being harmed. Not just here in Thailand but the world over.

I am about as far from supporting feminism as you can get. But these type of remarks of what gives weight to extreme feminist reactions

Even the kids know when they walk into a sweet shop they cannot have what is not theirs. How is it that grown men Who would not tolerate bad behaviour from a child screaming about not getting what they want, cannot make the moral distinction that comes naturally to a decent human beings?

Only when it comes to women showing what they have that we say they should not do it.

If I wear my Rolex downtown is it my fault if it gets stolen? If I have my Apple phone in my hand in my asking to have robbed?

If I have a nice home should I build a wall so no one can see it in case they might rob it

Am I asking for my car to get stolen if I park in town?

I learned a long while back but I couldn't have any girl I wanted. - So did every other guy I know - a smack for trying to get to first base at About age 13

To try and put any blame on somebody who had been a victim of a crime because somebody else didn't know what is not theirs, Or doesn't have the moral ability to keep it in their pants is inexcusable.

Yes, it's not polite to go to a 711 in swimwear - But Thailand markets itself as a tourist friendly destination to countries that behave like this.

This is what clashes with THAI culture, not the tourists that have been marketed to arriving into the culture

So Thailands need to stop marketing itself as thus,

Or make tourists aware of what is acceptable (it's in some guidebooks - but it's not information that is actively promoted to tourists)

Or State to people that it is a problem, and safety cannot be guaranteed,

or Thailand need to accept this behaviour as a trade off for the tourist revenue. - you can't accept your cake and eat it too.

Those of us who have been to the Middle East know that in most countries drinking alcohol is very frowned upon and in most cases illegal. These facts are very well advertised to anybody planning on arriving Yet it is allowed in certain establishments. And I have never, ever known of anybody beaten, raped, and murdered because they offended sensibilities by drinking alcohol there.

Sure, you can get arrested, you won't have much sympathy from the police. And your embassy will call you an idiot for not heading what you were FOREWARNED ABOUT.

Ko Tao exists almost exclusively because it is a tourist resort. It is smaller than some airports. You don't build a resort like this and expected to be reflective of Thailand as a whole

Vast majority, if not all TV members and Thais would scoff at somebody who said, I've been to Thailand I spent two weeks on Ko Tao

Equally tourists dressed in swimwear in 7:11 in Ko Tao would likely never do it in Bangkok. It's not the same.

It's about time people stopped making excuses for behaviour that society just should not tolerate, and nobody here should be even finding any reason to see this as anything but utterly inexcusable, and if you can't please adjust your moral compasses.

Alternatively come up with a new slogan. Amazing Thailand, just don't wear a bikini.

Edited by getthaid

Interesting read.

So those who feel that she is partly, or even a tiny bit, to blame, you are in good company.

20% of Aussie men agree.

I'd be comfortable placing a large bet that a lot of those 20% are reflective of the Aussies who walk around patong wearing wife beaters, and visibly drunk, and more so audibly, by mid afternoon. As I say - good company.

This post is not anti - Aussie. It's anti 'that sort' of tourist and most of our countries supply them - be it ireland, UK, Russia, Oz etc

Interesting read.

So those who feel that she is partly, or even a tiny bit, to blame, you are in good company.

20% of Aussie men agree.

I'd be comfortable placing a large bet that a lot of those 20% are reflective of the Aussies who walk around patong wearing wife beaters, and visibly drunk, and more so audibly, by mid afternoon. As I say - good company.

This post is not anti - Aussie. It's anti 'that sort' of tourist and most of our countries supply them - be it ireland, UK, Russia, Oz etc

More like 40% if there was a 50-50 sex representation in the sample. I am sure nearly all of the women would have not said that so it may even mean most men think this.

Interesting read.

20% of Aussie men agree.

More like 40% if there was a 50-50 sex representation in the sample. I am sure nearly all of the women would have not said that so it may even mean most men think this.
Then you have little understanding of women. Many women believe the Same.

A criminal lawyer friend of mine told me what seemed like a startling fact a few years ago. - in a flimsy criminal case A women jurer is more likely to find for the accused in a rape trial with only hearsay evidence than a man is.

I expressed surprise - and he said it is because without supporting evidence a jury had to rely on instinct.

Men tend to convict because they know what men are capable of, and they feel That the right thing to do it to believe - cos that is what modern society believes men should do.

Women tend to acquit - because they know what women are capable of doing. And they don't have to compensate for male guilt.

I am not sure if you are justifying this research to support a particular paradigm.

Or using it to excuse your own, or other peoples prejudices.

Or as a comment on how sad the sorry state of affairs is that we think that Rappists and murders will be less likely rape and murder when some one wears appropriate clothing.

So ask yourself this question - if a friend of yours committed this crime - and used said justification - would you find it excusable?

And would you ever let them come to one of your kids party? - and allow them to supervise your kid alone? even after serving their time, done therapy, and being deemed to rejoin society?

Or would you let them come as long as it wasn't a pool party.

No to the 3 questions above - right?

I know I would not

PC has run amok. But equally people use the that fact to dismiss facts and stats and arguments that are not PC BS

Edited by getthaid