State media still unsure if women should be blamed for violence

webfact

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do a Google image search, you will see that the beach photo used by the Tourism Authority of Thailand is actually Jamaica.

Was about to say the same thing. No beach in Thailand is that clean

Was also thinking the same thing. Does TAT think we are all gullible?...Oops, yes of course they do

I did the Google image search and saw that the same photo has also been used by Antigua and Mexico.

Or let Muslim pose nude that will turn you from sex those broads got more hair on there legs than a men oh incase you didn't know muslims don't shave. no offence meant to Muslim's but a fact .

My wife is Muslim and she has a full Brazilian. Not one single hair on her body other than her head

Still a 1950's appology for a 1950's comment.

In this day and age what do you go to the beach for?

What next the General removes all provocative clothing from Thai shelf's.

And what about his Thai sisters/brothers in Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya dancing in cages and on stage, don;t thay contribute to the rape in Thailand?

This is a very strange area to comment, from the head of a country, condeming how visitors to the country dress on a beach, while two people have been murdered. Compared to beach locations around the world, such dress sence for the beach appears more than appropriate in our time. The fact that 2 visitors have died under terrible circumstances, comments like this are a deflection on the responsibilities of the state in carrying out their duties to protect all. The fact that the media goes on with the incident, which is controlled by the Junta, inflames the situation further.

Again, its still a tradgedy that should never had happened. Very sad time for the families of these two people.

And what about his Thai sisters/brothers in Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya dancing in cages and on stage, don;t thay contribute to the rape in Thailand?

People in the social stratum represented by the General are unlikely to regard the staff in farang-oriented bars as brothers or sisters. Thailand is a very unequal, hierarchical society.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Time to wear burkas...

I still imagine those ladies wearing burkas...are actually naked underneath...just in case there is a need to act spontaneously...

no bikinis on Thai beaches, will equate to zero female tourists, Muslims use this excuse in Australia its really a sad reflection on Thais if they cannot control themselves .

He was talking about slags wearing bikinis wandering around in supermarkets and off the beach.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Time to wear burkas...

I still imagine those ladies wearing burkas...are actually naked underneath...just in case there is a need to act spontaneously...

Sure they are but fat and ugly , and most married to men who like that ?

Nice photo. I guess it should be explained: romantic holidays in Thailand have the extra feature of being smashed on the head with a hoe.

A sure win for TAT.

Only last week in Pattaya, a bloke holidaying in Thailand, was smashed on the head by a ho. It was with her shoe.

Thainess at its finest.whistling.gif

Yes but not by the general. I commented that he was a dinosaur before for these remarks. But with saying sorry he regained some of my respect. Its not often a Thai really says he is sorry.

After having his head shoved down the loo and the chain flushed a few times (metaphorically in diplomatic terms) most folk would say sorry.

How about just blaming the ones who commit the violence for a change ? that way instead of blaming victims you get to blame the perpetrators and maybe even jail them.... thereby saving the violent perpetrator from future mental anguish and forcing a violent outburst by them again whilst saving other potential victims from them too ... hows that sound ?

Or just blame women as is the custom ..... yeesh coffee1.gif

I would like to see a farang use the same excuses as Thai males do when committing a crime. I don't think it would fly.

Sorry I ran over your son, I was out drinking all night. Here's some money.

Sorry I raped your wife, she was asking for it wearing that bikini. She looked so sexy I couldn't help myself. Besides, I was drunk. Here's some money.

Sorry I raped and killed your daughter, I was drunk and she put up a fight. She looked so sexy laying there in her nighty.

• Like 1

Thailand is not really big on PC...they are more interested in "reality".

The reality is people often contribute to their becoming a victim due to their own choices. It is not gender based.

When someone carries an open purse loose on their shoulder there is an increased risk they will have items or purse stolen.

Same for a guy with passport or fat wallet in back pocket.

Its just that its PC to say that female victims of sexual assault never contribute to sexual assault when in reality sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

A college girl getting passed-out drunk at a party does not deserve to be sexually assaulted; however, she has contributed to the chances it might occur by getting so drunk.

I am sure the PC crowd is grabbing their rope now to hang me from the nearest tree.

• Like 2

I really do think everybody should move on and get away from having a pop at Thailand.

The general said some stuff that was obviously not a prepared speech, and he's already apologised for it.

Can all the the pro-Thaksinites please stop using this as an excuse to blast the general. And also, can the anti-Thaksinites also shut up, and realise that it's illegal for pro-Thaksinites AND anti-Thaksinites to have a pop at the junta.

All this blasting the Thais, is it going to help find the killers ? And also, anywhere else on planet earth, yes, one of the concerns of the 'locals' is the impact it will have on tourism. It's just that the Thais are not that good at public relations, that's why some of them have made comments to the media about how this tragic crime might harm tourism.

I'ill tell a story that some people know is true. Some years ago, there's a place called Vangvien in Laos. A stack of young foreigners (they were mainly back-packer types) were going there, and getting drunk and doing other stuff as well. There was this nonsense called 'tubing'. Basically, an inner tube of a lorry wheel tyre is put into the river, and the youngster is suppose to use this inner tube as a normal rubber ring, and float along the river, being carried by the river's current. Obviously, it's highly dangerous, and unfortunately, a number of youngsters supposedly died. The Laos authorities went and discouraged the whole thing, and basically, Vangvien today is very different to what it was about four years ago. Basically, tourism in Laos has survived.

Yes, this event is enormously tragic. Russian tourists have been attacked before. I vaguely remember about the two Russian women who were murdered at Jomtien beech. Where was the mass hysteria about safety for tourists back then ? Surely, the attack on anybody, whether they are Russian or from the West (America, Europe, Australia) is the same. Indeed, whether the victim is a foreigner or Thai (or Burmese, or Cambodian), surely, it is the same ?

What does it say about "US PEOPLE" when we have this mass media coverage on this tragic crime, but not so much coverage if it happened to somebody else ?

Let's all hope the killers are brought to justice. And let's not forget that Thailand is actually a safe place. The mass hysteria we're seeing is NOT helping the situation.

• Like 1

All this blasting the Thais, is it going to help find the killers ? And also, anywhere else on planet earth, yes, one of the concerns of the 'locals' is the impact it will have on tourism. It's just that the Thais are not that good at public relations, that's why some of them have made comments to the media about how this tragic crime might harm tourism.

I thought they just have different priorities. sad.png

The reality is people often contribute to their becoming a victim due to their own choices. It is not gender based.

When someone carries an open purse loose on their shoulder there is an increased risk they will have items or purse stolen.

Its just that its PC to say that female victims of sexual assault never contribute to sexual assault when in reality sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

A college girl getting passed-out drunk at a party does not deserve to be sexually assaulted; however, she has contributed to the chances it might occur by getting so drunk.

I am sure the PC crowd is grabbing their rope now to hang me from the nearest tree.

They are absolutely not interested in reality.

They are very interested in portraying their rather narrow view of the world where men are not held to any great account for their actions if they can pay their way out of it.

If we put this horrific murder aside for a moment, there has been a sea change in behaviour of tourists over the past 15 years. All the guidebooks always used to stress that Thai society does not particularly like to see bare chested men and girls in bikinis but were tolerated when on the beach. Every guide stressed how walking around town dressed like youre at the beach was extremely rude to Thais.

Even I get p*ssed off at idiots, boys and girls walking around anywhere they like dressed however they like with absolutely no respect for Thai values.

I am not saying any of this is related to the murder, but the generals comments will echo with many Thais who feel that many tourists lack any respect for where they are or how to behave respectfully in public.

I dont expect many would agree but there you go I'm a bit older and a bit less tolerant than I once was.

Can all the the pro-Thaksinites please stop using this as an excuse to blast the general. And also, can the anti-Thaksinites also shut up, and realise that it's illegal for pro-Thaksinites AND anti-Thaksinites to have a pop at the junta.

It`s almost impressive the way some posters find a way to drop Thaksin into everything. Here we are in a post about violence against woman, and comments surrounding a murder, and they still manage to drop the wee fella into the conversation.

• Like 1

If we put this horrific murder aside for a moment, there has been a sea change in behaviour of tourists over the past 15 years. All the guidebooks always used to stress that Thai society does not particularly like to see bare chested men and girls in bikinis but were tolerated when on the beach. Every guide stressed how walking around town dressed like youre at the beach was extremely rude to Thais.

Even I get p*ssed off at idiots, boys and girls walking around anywhere they like dressed however they like with absolutely no respect for Thai values.

I am not saying any of this is related to the murder, but the generals comments will echo with many Thais who feel that many tourists lack any respect for where they are or how to behave respectfully in public.

I dont expect many would agree but there you go I'm a bit older and a bit less tolerant than I once was.

TAT itself uses imagery of young couples sitting in bikinis on the beach. So,no Thailand cannot have its cake and eat it.

There is no halfway house. Either the culture accepts people in swimwear or people should be warned that to wear it is dangerous and the Thailand should stop marketing itself to foreigners in this manner.

Many many torusits book a package holiday without ever opening a guide book. I am not sure tourists want to come to the beach if they have to wear sackcloth or risk their physical well being.

TAT itself uses imagery of young couples sitting in bikinis on the beach. So,no Thailand cannot have its cake and eat it.

There is no halfway house. Either the culture accepts people in swimwear or people should be warned that to wear it is dangerous and the Thailand should stop marketing itself to foreigners in this manner.

Many many torusits book a package holiday without ever opening a guide book. I am not sure tourists want to come to the beach if they have to wear sackcloth or risk their physical well being.

+1 The whole conversation is ridiculous.

They are absolutely not interested in reality.

They are very interested in portraying their rather narrow view of the world where men are not held to any great account for their actions if they can pay their way out of it.

Uh...I think you responded to the wrong post because you are talking about an entirely different topic.

Staggering.

So - let me get this right. By NOT apologising for the ridiculous statement and it's content, What was actually being suggested, is that Thailand IS A DANGEROUS PLACE TO BE - especially if you are on a beach wearing a bikini and especially if you are on a beach wearing a bikini AND beautiful?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a better comment have been along the lines of " We are so sorry that the 2 British holidaymaker's have suffered such a tragic end, and we will do everything we can to assist their families and the authorities in their efforts to bring the perpetrators of this terrible crime to justice. Thailand is a wonderful place for millions of holidaymakers to come and relax on our wonderful and welcoming beaches, and we are sickened that this tragedy has happened on what is usually a very safe place for locals and tourists alike."

But NO!

A reckless and ill-thought out and flippant remark, which once again plops Thailand atop the comedy throne in world politics.

We have had the laughable lady in power for the last few years, and now, in the midst of potentially "credible change" the whole thing comes crumbling down, revealing the unfathomable depth of utter stupidity at the heart of this desperately confused and uneducated country.

Words fail me.

UNEDUCATED is the key word.

Staggering.

So - let me get this right. By NOT apologising for the ridiculous statement and it's content, What was actually being suggested, is that Thailand IS A DANGEROUS PLACE TO BE - especially if you are on a beach wearing a bikini and especially if you are on a beach wearing a bikini AND beautiful?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a better comment have been along the lines of " We are so sorry that the 2 British holidaymaker's have suffered such a tragic end, and we will do everything we can to assist their families and the authorities in their efforts to bring the perpetrators of this terrible crime to justice. Thailand is a wonderful place for millions of holidaymakers to come and relax on our wonderful and welcoming beaches, and we are sickened that this tragedy has happened on what is usually a very safe place for locals and tourists alike."

But NO!

A reckless and ill-thought out and flippant remark, which once again plops Thailand atop the comedy throne in world politics.

We have had the laughable lady in power for the last few years, and now, in the midst of potentially "credible change" the whole thing comes crumbling down, revealing the unfathomable depth of utter stupidity at the heart of this desperately confused and uneducated country.

Words fail me.

UNEDUCATED is the key word.

At some level I found Prayuth's comments refreshingly honest. I find the manicured briefing statements obviously designed to pacify and evade far more offensive.

• Like 1

Thailand should put warning cover on top of every ticket, or hand out brochure at immigration when entering country, along the lines of cigarette package warnings. If women in bikinis are not safe it is their duty to inform the guests of this country as to how it is here. The general's ill advised statement had element of truth to it as far as Thai culture goes. "Welcome to paradise. Proceed at your own risk. Do not provoke the locals. No one will guarantee your safety. Have a wonderful visit."