What do YOU think Thai people actually want? Thought for w/end!

laolover88

There are a zillion generalisations on TV about 'Thais and Thailand' and about 'foreigners'

My somewhat cynical and detached observation is that most foreigners in Thailand think they have landed on Rock Candy Mountain or at least in the Land of Cockayne

One must presume? maybe, that Thai people are no different from other people in needing to satisfy for themselves Maslow's hierarchy of needs. And after those, like everyone else on the planet, houses, cars, bikes, wealth, family follow.

One criticism that has been made of Maslow is that he failed to distinguish between 'individualistic' societies and 'communal' ones. In my life most Thai people are amazingly confident, and to use Maslow's word, 'self actualising', But theylive in a world where hierarchy dominates a great deal; and they are attached to family to the extent that, because of respect and love and age, it diminishes their individual opportunities, but provides a support system economically and emotionally. How do you think Thais handle this conundrum? And indeed as a foreigner, which introduces another factor into the scenario, how do you handle it and how do the Thais handle you?

They want your money without your stupid opinion of how to run their wonderful country, simple.

Now stop thinking too much and start sharing your humongous wealth to these smiling buffoons. wai2.gif

Sums it up nicely. Simply nothing to add.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about European culture, but America is very much about achievement. People tend to feel a little deflated when they don't rise to a level they feel they were intended for. That's one of the reasons we're always shooting the place up.

Thai also want to achieve, but seem more content if they don't.

Of course anybody Thai is like anyone else. What in my rather awkward way I was trying to get at:

Is there anything that Thai people want, or a 'wanting to be' that other people generally are not so interested in and is that something outsiders don't understand?

+/or are there ways, in Thailand, of expressing what you want which are different from the ways other people(s) express desire and want and is that difficult for outsiders to discern?

the 7th answer and the bickering started,,,lol

they want just the same as most people around the world,,, i would think,,

me ive never wanted to be rich, just enough, good health, and happyness,,

what more is there to want???????

just my thoughts for what its worth

They want your money without your stupid opinion of how to run their wonderful country, simple.

Now stop thinking too much and start sharing your humongous wealth to these smiling buffoons. wai2.gif

If you are living in Thailand, life must be a huge grudge for you.

I would never stay anywhere if I felt like that about it.

• Like 2

the 7th answer and the bickering started,,,lol

they want just the same as most people around the world,,, i would think,,

me ive never wanted to be rich, just enough, good health, and happyness,,

what more is there to want???????

just my thoughts for what its worth

More little piggies?...biggrin.png

• Like 1

If you are living in Thailand, life must be a huge grudge for you.

I would never stay anywhere if I felt like that about it.

I'm not living in Thailand. I did for a while before I came to my senses. I still visit monthly for a long weekend. That's usually long enough for me. :-)

Thai people want laolover88 no think so much. Give too big headache cannot say. I miss mother me.

Statement from the Office of Gecko123:

Gecko123 wishes to clarify that the above post was written to poke fun at what Gecko123 considered to be OP's overly-intellectual post.

If anyone felt the above post made fun of Thai people, Gecko123 wishes them to know that this was not Gecko123's intent at all.

If anyone 'liked' the above post because they thought it made fun of Thai people, Gecko123 would prefer that they 'unlike' the above post as soon as possible.

Thank you.

We now return you to regularly scheduled programing.

Thai people want laolover88 no think so much. Give too big headache cannot say. I miss mother me.

Gecko123 wishes to clarify that the above post was written to poke fun at what Gecko123 considered to be OP's overly-intellectual post.

If anyone felt the above post made fun of Thai people, Gecko123 wishes them to know that this was not Gecko123's intent at all.

If anyone 'liked' the above post because they thought it made fun of Thai people, Gecko123 would prefer that they 'unlike' the above post as soon as possible.

Thank you.

?????

Actually it is a very intelligent question. However Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is not based on want but rather need and Self Actualization and since Thailand is a Communal based society I would say the simplistic answer would be to be Head of the Family and providing and guiding the family upwards and onwards as opposed to the Western idea of reaching the Individualistic and maybe Selfish Nirvana of Personal Self Actualization.

In other words most Thais and especially the Thai-Chinese would like to create a Dynasty.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Mate, you are taking yourself and your posting way too seriously!!

On topic: Thais want: Money=Benz=Face=Big Wai wai2.gif