Moving to Khoa Lak

cmunier

Hello locals and expats,

My boyfriend are thinking of moving to Khoa Lak from Phuket to Khoa Lak. I am an English Teacher and he is a Scuba Diving Instructor. Just looking for any helpful information or advice. Renting housing, locals, teaching or scuba jobs would be amazing. We are going to visit tomorrow to look around so any places to see or eat would be cool too. We are doing in mostly for a job as a scuba diving instructor so please let me know if anybody has any information.

Cheers!!

Just go there and visit the DC's, there will probably be vacancies this time of year. Could be land based teaching, liveaboards or a combination.

For teaching English I would presume the options are limited there, but maybe somebody there can give more info on that.

There is a couple of language schools around the area but I would say teaching jobs will be difficult to find. In low season lots of teaching jobs in hotels but we are a month away from high season so training will be finished up. Any experience in hotels?

Plenty of dive centres for your boyfriend - just googling will turn up a few.

Lots of places to eat and drink at in high season however its not the most exciting place in the world.

I live there 5 days a week and only to happy to get back to Phuket for a few days.

Keestha?

Housing would be no problem at all. If you stay for a long period, by far the cheapest solution would be renting a house, which will be unfurnished though. The bit of furniture you'll need you can buy cheaply locally, they'll also be able to deliver it to your house. Rent from about 3000 per month upwards. Just ride around on a scooter looking for signs "for rent" or ให้เช่า. Good hunting grounds are the sois running inland from the main road in Bang Niang and Khukkhak, and the road to Pakkarang Cape. Take your time, it's a buyers market, and some houses can be noisy.

There are lots of diving centers and the high season is about to start (from November 1 on), so especially for somebody with qualifications it shouldn't be difficult to find a job.

As far as teaching English is concerned, there is a language school or two. But for young Westerners there are also other possibilities, and it is an advantage to be female. Go to the big hotels, preferably the chains like Marriott and Meridien. They frequently have to fill positions like guest relations officer, that's what they call reception work, pay around 30,000/m. Make a resume and just drop by.

Because of legality issues, I refrain from going into the possibilities of working as a tour guide.

Khao Lak is livable, and there is a small expat scene. The English speakers meet up at Mars Bar at the main road (to Phuket) in Bang Niang, Rusty Pelican at the road to Bang Niang Beach, and at market days (monday, wednesday, saturday) at Chai Bar and Song Bar at Bang Niang market.

There are lots of other bars and also restaurants, and there are plenty of shops, you can get pretty much everything you could need.

Check out houses at Bang Niang, you will find cheaper ones.. Nang Thong is expensive!

hi,nang thong areas does have a few places for rent,up the road,past banana resort,6 to 10k a month.bang niang is cheaper,and if you get here before the seasonal divers arrive,you should find something,i know of a 2 bedroom house,not far from bang niang market 8k.remember ,khao lak diving is a seasonal thing,so oct to april,after that your boyfriend will have to find something to do,unless you are seasonal workers too.Here is nothing like phuket,for many reasons,and is not for everyone. But good luck on your move,welcome to Khao lak.If i can help,message me.