New evidence found in tourists’ murder case

Lite Beer

Meanwhile forensic police from Bangkok joined local forensic police in Surat Thani to collect DNA samples from more than 20 Myanmar workers both male and female rounded up from the vicinity of the crime scene and also their finger prints.

Why would anyone waste time and money taking DNA samples from any women in a murder rape case ? blink.png

As for the trousers being on the killer running off..... well................

Coz a woman can be part of the murder too.

Oh come on stop picking at straws its almost unheard of for women to be involved in a double murder rape.

You ever heard of process of elimination ? well usually you discount the least likely and look at the most likely first and try to narrow that down..... ie male you dont waste your time or funds with females until much later.

You only go and spend time on the least likely much later... id say its highly likely with at least 2 DNA its male and therefore much better to DNA all males, especially those not yet done with local knowledge, ie Thai local males... whistling.gif

Unheard of??? Ever heard of Carla Holmolka??? Look her up... Nasty piece of work. She is out Short sentence for testifying against her Partner in Crime, Paul Bernardo.He will get out in a box.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Some people, including myself, are wondering why on a small island that has a small population, with access by ferry or rent a boats that can be controlled the police are still floundering about.

Eliminate those under 10 years of age, eliminate those over 60 years of age, get people 11 to 59 to verify where they were at the time of the murder and whoever is in the remainder DNA test.

The pool of suspects should be in the dozens.

I agree 100%.

We can all second guess this but you are right.

The one thing for sure is that who every committed this crime was on the island. The vey first thing they should have done was shut down the exits from the island. Once they collected DNA Evidence they should have next tested everyone on the island for DNA. What? There couldn't be more than a couple of hundred people there.

Mind you, and like you said, test everyone for DNA within reason. I would however not excuse anyone based on a alibi alone or his position in the community. Just women and children although I may question them as they still could be a witness. And for sure the guys over 60 should be tested to. Hey, we are older! Not dead! .

With regard to CCTV footage, if they're almost certain at least 2 or 3 (probably Asian) men commited this crime surely there must be something showing a group like this together somewhere. It would be most bizarre if they all made their way to the crime scene individually although more likely they would scarper individually afterwards. Even footage of groups of such men earlier in the evening would be a useful lead if nothing more than to eliminate them once tested and cleared.

I am so sick of hearing all these terrible comments about the police. They are doing their very best under extreme pressure and unusual circumstance. Everybody should remember the islanders and police are not the bad people here. A few words of encouragement and praise for the royal thai police would lift their spirits a bit.

Keep up the good work police of thailand. My spirit support your work and effort everyday.

• Like 1

I am so sick of hearing all these terrible comments about the police. They are doing their very best under extreme pressure and unusual circumstance. Everybody should remember the islanders and police are not the bad people here. A few words of encouragement and praise for the royal thai police would lift their spirits a bit.

Keep up the good work police of thailand. My spirit support your work and effort everyday.

I would hope they are too busy to read this page.

If they are however, I would like to say.

A Thai guy between 20 and 40 most likely did it. Just a hint and all.

The Thai rumour network is suggesting that the son of the most influential mafia Don on the island was at the party and showing interest in the girl, but she was not interested in him. The local islanders apparently all know (or suspect) it was him but nobody is talking (or if they are, the police aren't listening). Again, its all just conjecture but if such a person exists, it might be a good idea to grab some DNA from him. By now, he has probably left the island though.

The friends should be able to corroborate that such a man was there, I would assume.

Edited by apalink_thailand
  • Like 1

Meanwhile forensic police from Bangkok joined local forensic police in Surat Thani to collect DNA samples from more than 20 Myanmar workers both male and female rounded up from the vicinity of the crime scene and also their finger prints.

Why would anyone waste time and money taking DNA samples from any women in a murder rape case ? blink.png

It wos Wallace an' Gromit who dun it mate...the wrong trousers

• Like 1

Re: Migrant workers

If anyone reads the Skynews article about the new CCTV footage, it is interesting to note that:

DNA on a cigarette butt had earlier been matched to semen found on Miss Witheridge, and officers say the cigarette was smoked by more than one person.

The cigarettes found yards from the bodies have been identified as a little-known brand apparently favoured by migrant workers in the region.

I sincerely hope they find those responsible for this horrific crime as soon as possible.

What will it be now with those cigarettes' identification? '...a little-known brand apparently favoured by migrant workers in the region', as Skynews seems to be quoting 'officers'(?) according to you, or the official police press release, which was quoted by the main Thai papers in English, telling the brand is L&M, which is a Philip Morris brand sold here at Bht.66.- a pack, definitely not the choice of migrants, because too expensive for them, but favoured by Farangs, and...by many Thais with (some) money! When the Skynews source is the more recent one, it could be part of a set-up against migrants, when the police sticks to L&M (without automatically exonerate them) it would not point a finger at migrants, and possibly rather involve some Thais, considering Farangs are officially 'out' now... The importance of a few cigarette buds, ...and of correct reporting!

Re: Migrant workers

If anyone reads the Skynews article about the new CCTV footage, it is interesting to note that:

DNA on a cigarette butt had earlier been matched to semen found on Miss Witheridge, and officers say the cigarette was smoked by more than one person.

The cigarettes found yards from the bodies have been identified as a little-known brand apparently favoured by migrant workers in the region.

I sincerely hope they find those responsible for this horrific crime as soon as possible.

What will it be now with those cigarettes' identification? '...a little-known brand apparently favoured by migrant workers in the region', as Skynews seems to be quoting 'officers'(?) according to you, or the official police press release, which was quoted by the main Thai papers in English, telling the brand is L&M, which is a Philip Morris brand sold here at Bht.66.- a pack, definitely not the choice of migrants, because too expensive for them, but favoured by Farangs, and...by many Thais with (some) money! When the Skynews source is the more recent one, it could be part of a set-up against migrants, when the police sticks to L&M (without automatically exonerate them) it would not point a finger at migrants, and possibly rather involve some Thais, considering Farangs are officially 'out' now... The importance of a few cigarette buds, ...and of correct reporting!

Correct. The overwhelming consumers of LM are Thai.

The point has been made above that it is a loss of face for the Thai police to ask for foreign assistance. As there are many similar murders in Thailand why make a special case of this one by approaching the Americans or Brits?

The answer of course is obvious... that the Brits have a special interest in the case and that they or the Americans as a matter of solidarity towards a close ally will be willing to assist.

It is surely the duty of a police force to marshal all possible resources and loss of face only arises from failing to do so.

It seems to me that this case is a microcosm of how Thailand operates or governs itself in general. It's like a window into its soul has been blown open for all to peer into. A bit dramatic perhaps but I fear not too far from the truth. It's hard to imagine another country where such a shambolic state of affairs could occur. It probably happens all the time with domestic murders but with the world watching all this it's a very sad state of affairs for Thailand. The only way they can redeem themselves in the eyes of the world is to find and bring to justice the real killers, whoever they are and however well connected (allegedly) they may be.

Thailand. It starts with the people.

I would hope they are too busy to read this page.

If they are however, I would like to say.

A Thai guy between 20 and 40 most likely did it. Just a hint and all.

I bet he has Black Hair

The Thai rumour network is suggesting that the son of the most influential mafia Don on the island was at the party and showing interest in the girl, but she was not interested in him. The local islanders apparently all know (or suspect) it was him but nobody is talking (or if they are, the police aren't listening). Again, its all just conjecture but if such a person exists, it might be a good idea to grab some DNA from him. By now, he has probably left the island though.

The friends should be able to corroborate that such a man was there, I would assume.

well if the BIB are serious they should look at the rumours even if they turn out wrong. Send the techs in to place a few listening devices in their homes and vehicles and those of associates.

BUT, if they are testing male and female DNA they can see if one of the females is the mother of the murderer / rapist.

Extra expense, time and effort, granted but the possibility is there. Maybe that is their line of thought?

So you are one hundred percent certain there was no women present at the murder scene? I understand semen comes only from a man....but what about hair and blood? In the past, I have read about gang violence, and often there are females present.

well if the BIB are serious they should look at the rumours even if they turn out wrong. Send the techs in to place a few listening devices in their homes and vehicles and those of associates.

Unfortunately, if the rumour are true, sending the Fox in to investigate crimes in the Chicken Coop is never a good idea.

Unfortunately, if the rumour are true, sending the Fox in to investigate crimes in the Chicken Coop is never a good idea.

Similar to a certain Ferrari driver, The first responding BIB attempted to implicate a house worker, for a, "donation" of course...

Edited by Adeeos
  • Like 1

The latest discovery has now enabled the police to narrow their investigation to focus on specific groups, migrant workers and local Thai people. http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/asian-suspects-rape-english-tourist/

At last they will start looking at Thai people too!

They have also postponed the help from the FBI

Pol Gen Somyot also said the Royal Thai Police has now suspended its earlier plan to seek help from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) after forensic doctors could conduct deeper test of the Y chromosome DNA test.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This whole case is a farce. The world is beginning to see what all long-term Thailand expats already know - Thai police are corrupt, racist and incompetent.

It is a farce based on the information released to the public.

Which of course leads to mass speculation based on that information, possible key elements withheld.

For all we know the assailant(s) could have dropped a driving licence at the scene; that would be a game changer if that information wasn't released............wink.png

agree about the trousers, they would be down around his ankles as he doesn't appear to be holding them up.

Dont get confused here between the different UK and US meaning of 'PANTS'. In the US pants means trousers unlike the UK where pants means underpants. I think this article is referring to blue pants as in underwear.

• Like 2

they spend billions on rice scam and waterworks that never gets done ... billions on military equipment ...

but some millions for at least one lab in the country that can handle serious dna tests, nope ...

i guess it is the same mentality as : what you don't see, does not excist ... as in ... washing hands ? they look clean ...no need to wash after they go take a shit