KBank offers SIM card for tourists to Thailand

Lite Beer

KBank offers SIM card for tourists to Thailand

IN-Sep-14-15-KBank-offers-SIM-card-for-t

Bangkok, 17 September, 2014 – Travellers visiting Thailand can receive a free Happy Holiday SIM card to be used in the kingdom by exchanging US$100 or more (or equivalent in other currencies) at participating Kasikornbank (KBank) Currency Exchange Booth nationwide from now – 31 December 2014.

In addition to getting a free Happy Holiday SIM card upon exchanging foreign current at Kasikornbank Currency Exchange Booth, travellers will receive free calls of 15 Baht once the SIM card is activated. In addition, by topping up the SIM card value at 100 Baht, user will get free internet data of 20MB for seven days.

A Happy Holiday SIM usage normally costs 0.99 Baht per minute for local phone call and 2 Baht per MB on internet data service.

Kasikornbank offers over 20 foreign currencies at more than 140 Kasikornbank currency exchange booths throughout Thailand. The bank recently opened currency exchange booths at both the arrival and departure zones of Don Mueang International Airport.

--TAT News 2014-09-20

• Like 2

Instead of giving the sim cards, why doesn't Kasikorn allow them to open savings accounts without work permits?

Probably because the cost of servicing the account of a genuine tourist would exceed the profit they would earn lending the funds out for a few months' interest.

Instead of giving the sim cards, why doesn't Kasikorn allow them to open savings accounts without work permits?

Probably because the cost of servicing the account of a genuine tourist would exceed the profit they would earn lending the funds out for a few months' interest.

Ahh, but you see, you are thinking like a Thai. There is money to be made by the funds left in accounts when the people leave. This is also true with people here on work visas. Kasikorn puts the account in suspense. 6 months later, if the account holder does not go to the branch in person, Kasikorn closes the account and takes the money. Happened with dozen of worker accounts where I work.

A missed opportunity for the bank, because the bank bureaucracy is incapable of thinking outside the box.

• Like 1

Ahh, but you see, you are thinking like a Thai. There is money to be made by the funds left in accounts when the people leave. This is also true with people here on work visas. Kasikorn puts the account in suspense. 6 months later, if the account holder does not go to the branch in person, Kasikorn closes the account and takes the money. Happened with dozen of worker accounts where I work.

A missed opportunity for the bank, because the bank bureaucracy is incapable of thinking outside the box.

Total nonsense. I had a Bangkok Bank account for 10 years before I retired here. Quite often the account was inactive for months at a time. It was never suspended.

If someone leaves a balance of even a few thousand baht for an extended period, the bank isn't going to profit from using that to lend out compared to the book-keeping costs.

Some accounts may incur a small fee if the account is below Baht 5000 and inactive, but it would be years before that ate through the balance.

Someone else's experience:

I have had a dormant account for 8 years and I still keep getting letters telling me I have THB 28.0 in my account...so based on this ones assumes the account just stays dormant until some goes to the branch and closes it

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/584596-unclaimed-thai-bank-accounts-of-deceased-expats/

Edited by Suradit69

Or even allowing (heaven forbid!) foreigners who are here on a Non 0 visa to open a bank account (on a retirement visa)? From my experience, Bangkok Bank appears to be the only bank interested in foreigners depositing funds with them (at a miserable interest rate, but still). I have tried several other banks to open a deposit account (substantial funds!), but hear that one needs a freakin' work permit. Why? I do not understand as I managed to transfer the money into the country without the slightest problem (so it cannot be a 'money laundering issue'). But with a work permit (like teaching four hours a week), I am a welcome customer? What a lot of hogwash!

on a nonO Visa you can open bankaccount In Kasikorn Bank, SCB, Bangkok bank, Krungsi Bank,

may be 1 branch want to see a work permit but then move to the other branch and you can open.

I have 10 accounts in Thailand and never had any work permit, it takes only some time to look for the right branch, easier in Koh Samui, Phuket, Bkk or Chiang Mai, where a lot of foreigners living,

I don't understand all people who writes that is impossible to open an account !

I had an account in Kasikorn Bank Khon Kaen and i had no works permit but just the adress of my wife in the village

This account has 30 thb now. But never closed by the bank.

One day i wanted to close this account at Kasikorn Pattaya Branch : they told me that it was impossible in Pattaya .. must go Khon Kaen biggrin.png ... for 30 THB

I opened also and account at Siambank without problems

A friend of mine has also opened an account at Siambank near Sukkumwhit soi 10 Bangkok and he only need his passport with his 30 days entry visa to open the account !

This friend has no official adress in Thailand (yellow or blue book), he just gave his holidays condo adress .

If one bank office refuses to you ...go 100 m ahead and you will find one who will accept you :)

7 years ago the SIambank Office in Krabi city refused to open an account for me ....so i go to Siambank Office Krabi Beach (Ao Nang) and they opened me the account.clap2.gif

Why does a post about free sim cards offered by a bank, turn into a bitching post, about not being able to open a bank account. If you have not been able to open an account, you haven't tried hard enough. I opened my first account at Krungthai last December on 30 day stamp. Came back in July, opened accounts at Kasakorn and Bangkok Bank on 90 day tourist visa. All banks in Surin.

• Like 2

you don't need a work permit to open a savings account, you just need to show your valid passport, I have opened up accounts at almost all the banks here and I only needed to show my passport, I have 6 Kbank accounts and have never had a problem.

why 6? Because Kbank always comes out with cool atm cards and my daughter loves them.

it takes only some time to look for the right branch, easier in Koh Samui, Phuket, Bkk or Chiang Mai, where a lot of foreigners living,

Been to 7 branches over the last week to try and open an account on a tourist visa and all say I need a work permit. Went to immigration on Thursday and spoke to some chap, he said that only those on visa exempt or VOA are not allowed to open an account. I went back to the bank I initially tried with whom I had had an account previously and told them but they were adamant that I have to have a work permit. The bank was unable to explain how I could (in theory) obtain a retirement visa if I didn't have an account to put 800,000 Baht into and suggested I contact immigration! I went back to immigration Friday. It was busy but the same fella spoke to me for a few minutes and said something along the lines of people not understanding visas. He suggested I wait a while until it all smooth's out. That's all very well for him to say but I don't like carrying around close to 10K USD on me. I should add that I didn't mention I had a lot of cash on me for obvious reasons.

The bank recently opened currency exchange booths at both the arrival and departure zones of Don Mueang International Airport.

Anyone know if the Kasikorn exchange rate at Don Mueang is the same as elsewhere in Thailand?

Kasikorn does not seem to be at Swampy but the banks that are offer very poor exchange rates.

The bank recently opened currency exchange booths at both the arrival and departure zones of Don Mueang International Airport.

Anyone know if the Kasikorn exchange rate at Don Mueang is the same as elsewhere in Thailand?

Kasikorn does not seem to be at Swampy but the banks that are offer very poor exchange rates.

Try this link http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

I've never had a work permit; I have a K-bank account.

It's been repeatedly documented in several different threads for years now that banks, and even bank branches belonging to the same bank, in Thailand are inconsistent with respect to their account-opening policies, one to the next. If you've encountered branches with this work permit requirement, just keep looking. I opened mine with a plain vanilla tourist visa - no problem at all.

PS - I'd avoid the money exchanges at the airports unless necessary to get just enough cash to get downtown with. These booths will have the worst rates anywhere.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 2

ALL banks & money exchange booths at ALL International airports offer very poor exchange rates, they see it as your last chance before you board, so try to get as much profit out of you as they can

I've never had a work permit; I have a K-bank account.

It's been repeatedly documented in several different threads for years now that banks, and even bank branches belonging to the same bank, in Thailand are inconsistent with respect to their account-opening policies, one to the next. If you've encountered branches with this work permit requirement, just keep looking. I opened mine with a plain vanilla tourist visa - no problem at all.

PS - I'd avoid the money exchanges at the airports unless necessary to get just enough cash to get downtown with. These booths will have the worst rates anywhere.

Agree. It's some time (6 or 7 years) since I opened my K-bank account on a non-im-O visa extended on retirement basis (did I get the terminology right to all the visa fanatics out there?). Chose to use one on the smaller mall branches as they have longer opening hours and they have always been nice. Sent friends and acquaintances there on tourist visas and same visa type as me and none have complained.

Go Green..Go Kasikorn.

• Like 1

This would depend on the policy of the individual Kasikorn branche.

But yes, it is possible to open an account with Kasikorn bank without a workpermit.

it takes only some time to look for the right branch, easier in Koh Samui, Phuket, Bkk or Chiang Mai, where a lot of foreigners living,

Been to 7 branches over the last week to try and open an account on a tourist visa and all say I need a work permit. Went to immigration on Thursday and spoke to some chap, he said that only those on visa exempt or VOA are not allowed to open an account. I went back to the bank I initially tried with whom I had had an account previously and told them but they were adamant that I have to have a work permit. The bank was unable to explain how I could (in theory) obtain a retirement visa if I didn't have an account to put 800,000 Baht into and suggested I contact immigration! I went back to immigration Friday. It was busy but the same fella spoke to me for a few minutes and said something along the lines of people not understanding visas. He suggested I wait a while until it all smooth's out. That's all very well for him to say but I don't like carrying around close to 10K USD on me. I should add that I didn't mention I had a lot of cash on me for obvious reasons.
Try slapping that $10k on the counter and see the reaction. It might make all the diff. Remember in Thailand money talks.

Also try the smaller mall branches they always seem more flexible than the 'high street' branches.

You could also give them some BS about sending over more once you've got the account setup. Ask for swift details.

Edited by Keesters

Regarding savings account closures, Thai banks generally follow the policy of if an account has been inactive (i.e., no user deposits/withdrawals/transfers) for at least 12 months "and" the account drops below 2,000 baht, a 50 baht/month maintenance fee will be applied until the account balance reaches zero--then the account is closed. Since K-bank is being talked, below is a cut and paste from the Kbank website. By the way, Bangkok Bank has the same policy...their policy has shown below also. Expect almost every other Thai bank has the same policy based on Bank of Thailand regulations.

post-55970-0-07239300-1411280989_thumb.j

post-55970-0-03619800-1411281270_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

I don't know the inactivity timeout or minimum fund level, but you can lose your money in the U.S. too if it goes inactive long enough (actually, other asset accounts as well). The difference is the bank doesn't usually get to keep it; either the feds or the state government gets it (and even then I think you can file a claim for it within a certain number of years). Here's an example:

http://www.sco.ca.gov/upd.HTML

The Thai government simply hasn't gotten their hooks into this particular trough yet, but I'm confident the light will come on eventually (pardon the impossibly mixed metaphors). In the meantime, I guess the banks get it.

I don't think there are many countries in the world that allow customers to open bank accounts without I.D and some proof of permanent address. Try opening an account in Europe or OZ, you will then see how easy it is in Thailand to actually open an account