Investing in Thai business from UK.

94tegsi

Hi,

I have the opportunity to invest 25% of a new smallish hotel/bar in Thailand.

I am resident in the UK and will continue to do so.

Does anyone have knowledge of the implications it could have for me? Mainly tax related and any other costs that I may get hit with?

Do I need to communicate earnings to the uk tax office? What options are open to me?

Cheers

Following on from the above. If anyone has advice on how well smaller hotels (20 rooms) in Pattaya have been performing of late it would be appreciated. Occupancy rates etc.

It will be a mid priced, clean and well looked after hotel with a sports bar. My Thai based business partner has very good contacts so there should be no hassle from police or otherwise.

I have some concerns about advertising and booking agents etc to keep occupancy high.

Any advice and experiences would be appreciated.

Someone has to break it to you, so why not me??

Why would someone running a profitable businees in Thailand want/need a partner from abroad.

You are 100 % sure going to get cheated out of your money!!sad.png

So keep your hard-earned mony, where they belongs: In your account!!

This is sound advice,not to mention occupancy rates in Pattaya are in the high 30%, so don't expect any profit. I think lighting your cash on fire would produce a better return, run.
  • Like 1

Lol no Thai girl.

It is a hotel that is currently being constructed/renovated, ie not opened yet, by a long standing friend of mine who is a Thai resident. He lived in the uk for 15 years or so which is where I know him from very well.

He has good contacts and will actually have a relatively highly ranked police officer having a small stake in the hotel, if that makes a difference.

Do none of these type of establishments woke well in Pattaya? Some must, so what are the criteria of those that do?!

Thanks for your responses so far.

A

Honestly, listen to what fellow TV folks are saying.

Pattaya is awash with Small Hotels and Guest Houses, all offering good quality rooms and service...

If I was you I would not bother , honestly keep your dosh in the UK...

All the best

A place i stay in near pizza hut has rooms for 600 baht a night. ok rooms and ok internet. currently they are in the process of renovating their rooms. I expect the rooms to be VASTLY improved.

However if upon check-in the big boss lady tells me i have to pay more i will probably go to another 600 baht place.

Absolute no pricing power in pattaya. Too many same same type of hotels all over the place.

Why would a foreinger want in on a business where POLICE is involved? If police see if you are a chump they probably want more and more for their services-it would never end!

• Like 1

Lol no Thai girl.

It is a hotel that is currently being constructed/renovated, ie not opened yet, by a long standing friend of mine who is a Thai resident. He lived in the uk for 15 years or so which is where I know him from very well.

He has good contacts and will actually have a relatively highly ranked police officer having a small stake in the hotel, if that makes a difference.

Do none of these type of establishments woke well in Pattaya? Some must, so what are the criteria of those that do?!

Thanks for your responses so far.

The questions you want to be asking are.

Is the land and hotel leased, who actually owns the land and what is the lease period?

Yes those that work are owner/operator owned, eg NO leases.

The so called high ranking police officer is nothing more than a red herring, he could be transferred elsewhere tomorrow, what is his investment in actual cash terms?

Good contacts, what exactly does that mean?

How many partners will there be?

What is each partners contribution?

What will each partner take from the business each year?

Where is all this written down in English in the form of a legal notorised contract?

Have you seen bank statements from each partner to prover their financial input?

Where exactly will this place be located?

Will this be a guesthouse or hotel?

Do you understand the difference between the two?

Who will run the food/drinks section?

Who will the food/drink section be sub-leased to your friends family?

Personally I wouldnt touch this with a barge pole.

Seen too many Thais with big dreams, usually farang funded, who couldnt run a bath.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When a foreigner, absentee investor invests in a Thai business, any profits are stolen by the local person/s in charge.

The absentee owner is always required to top up their investment to keep it afloat.

Often the Thai manager/owner/local makes no profit if/when they dare take a holiday, as the new 'man on the spot' will steal all income.

It's just the way it is.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I would agree with the other posters here. The deal looks worse and worse.

I would scrap this deal and look for another:

you have a chance if you are going to be on site, or if someone you really know and trust is going to be on site, running the biz hands on.

and if you or the person you trust has a unique concept. The possibilities here are infinite and amazing.

There are many businesses that can be had for relatively little money @ $50,000 yearly lease of the business proper, not including monthly energy costs or rental.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...