Electrician offshore

thordewar

Hi all,

I'm an australian electrician over 15 years in the construction game working 4/1 roster.

Looking to getting into equal time career.

Primary choice is offshore works.

Advice please for requirements.

Also if I could be put in the right direction of agencies that would be much appreciated.

Thanks I hope to hear from you.

Thor

Hi Franky bear ,

I don't understand I have experience in my country 15 years of.

Perhaps I can give away the electrician game and become a cleaner or what ever.

I don't care much for the money only the roster.

Do you know what a top drive is without Googling it?

There's zero chance of you getting the chief Sparks job mate, no way as there's enough of them to go around and companies don't want to risk giving the job to someone that might not be able to handle the pressure when the top drive shits itself and you're on downtime losing the rig $250,000 a day.

You need to be tested on the job first before you get there. I've been in the game 10 years as a chief Mechanic so i like to think i know what i'm talking about mate.

Hi Franky bear ,

15 years offshore in your own country, or 15 years as a land based sparky ?....two vastly different things, as suggested in my other post, if you want to get offshore, go look at either the Gorgon or Wheatstone projects in Aussie as a starting point

I know Franky is talking about the drilling side, there are also possiblities on the operational facility side of things as well, but in most cases they want I&E guys rather than just sparky's.

seeing as you have posted this on a Thai site, if you have visions of breaking into the Thai offshore O&G game, will tell you now forget it, you have more chance of getting a ladyboy pregnant, not trying to p*ss on your parade with this is the reality, expats working the gulf of Thailand getting less and less by the year

• Like 1

Hi Franky bear ,

15 years offshore in your own country, or 15 years as a land based sparky ?....two vastly different things, as suggested in my other post, if you want to get offshore, go look at either the Gorgon or Wheatstone projects in Aussie as a starting point

I know Franky is talking about the drilling side, there are also possiblities on the operational facility side of things as well, but in most cases they want I&E guys rather than just sparky's.

seeing as you have posted this on a Thai site, if you have visions of breaking into the Thai offshore O&G game, will tell you now forget it, you have more chance of getting a ladyboy pregnant, not trying to p*ss on your parade with this is the reality, expats working the gulf of Thailand getting less and less by the year

I've been offered offshore in Thailand a few times now

Hi Franky bear ,

I've been offered offshore in Thailand a few times now

and as you said yourself, you have 10 years in the game already... you already know what top drive is...laugh.png the point I was trying to make was, the OP will not get a start in Thailand with his current background

not suggesting there is nothing going for foreigners in the gulf currently, there is...there is a lot of "development" going on over the next few years, but there is a marked decrease in the number of foreigners working since I started, The Thai goverment is imposing quite strict nationalisation polices and quite difficult these days to get approved by the DMF

• Like 1

Well thanks for the heads up.

Not interested in gorgon as it's not equal time.

Never mind thanks fellars back to the drawing board I go

I don't like telling people the info i gave you for the record. But it'd be wrong to tell you that you even "might" get a job when you won't.

I think it's safe to say though that near enough every single person offshore or on a landrig got the job by knowing someone, i know i did, through a mate in Pattaya

I don't like telling people the info i gave you for the record. But it'd be wrong to tell you that you even "might" get a job when you won't.

I think it's safe to say though that near enough every single person offshore or on a landrig got the job by knowing someone, i know i did, through a mate in Pattaya

I agree with you, but by the same token, would rather tell people the reality that its just not a simple case of wanting to do it, its incredibly hard to break into unless someone opens the door for you , as you have correctly stated, it usually more of case of who you know, rather than what you know and in my case, i ended up in the offshore game by "mistake " doing a favour for someone, it was never really part of a planned "career path"...laugh.png

• Like 1

I agree with you, but by the same token, would rather tell people the reality that its just not a simple case of wanting to do it, its incredibly hard to break into unless someone opens the door for you , as you have correctly stated, it usually more of case of who you know, rather than what you know and in my case, i ended up in the offshore game by "mistake " doing a favour for someone, it was never really part of a planned "career path"...laugh.png

I think those of us that live in LOS and do the rotation thing have the best life there (that still have to work) . WE get far more quality time with our families as we only work 6 months of the year (rotation does have it's downside, don't get me wrong) the money is very good (most will be on 6 figures $ tax free) It's the best trade the common working class man can get that pays the most.

I understand why people are desperate to get into it as they will see us in LOS with not a care in the world when we are home. We have earned opur cash on the rig, we fly back and live, no hassles with employers in Thailand or trying to make your bar work. Again, for the record i have nothing but respect for Bra and club owners in Thailand, i know it's a tough job and you are part of what makes me love living there

to the op. If you really want to have a go my suggestion is to start out with land rigs in QLD. Try Ensign, Easternwell, wild desert, 2/2 roster but its a step in the right direction.

All sparkies on my rig (GOT) are Thai. to get a start in Thailand is next to impossible,

as for the 4/1 roster. No one should be working those rosters. Those businesses are the devil