Abhisit enjoys a surge in popularity: Bangkok poll

Lite Beer

OK. First. This poll was a popularity poll comparing Abhisit and Yingluck. (You did read the OP didn't you?) So there was opposition. The protests, the coup, and the case against Yingluck doesn't stop people from answering whether they prefer Abhisit or Yingluck (or as the poll results show, someone else).

Second. A poll prior to the 2011 election showed that the Democrats policies were more popular than others. Just because people liked the policies doesn't mean that they would vote for them.

Third. Abhisit was elected an MP by the voters. He has been elected an MP (both constituency and party list) by the voters for many years (as opposed to Yingluck not being elected to anything before the election). Prior to Abhisit being elected PM, PPP's Samak and Somchai were both elected PM in the same way. In all three cases, coalitions were formed, all of them in less than honorable conditions. PPP needed to form a coalition with smaller parties to form government since they didn't get a majority of the seats (ie they didn't "win" the election). Some of the smaller parties had actually campaigned that they wouldn't join a PPP coalition. Some of them also flew off to Hong Kong to meet with the PPP party owner to do their deals too.

And Yes, Abhisit's coalition was formed in the barracks. One coalition member suggested that he didn't have a choice. I reckon that's because he was scared of missing a place at the trough.

When Abhisit was elected PM, he was elected by a majority of MPs. All the constituency seats were filled after byelections to replace banned MPs. All but 5 party list seats were filled. Remember that not all the PPP MPs were banned, only the executives were. The remaining PPP MPs either moved to PTP, BJT or other smaller parties. Only PPP was banned. All the smaller parties continued on.

So, please tell me when "they got rid of any opposition" to make Abhisit "look good"?

2006, 2008, and 2014.

Facts are wasted on this guy.

Mirror, mirror in the wall, ... ...

Mind you I'm a bit surprised TB didn't mention 2010 rolleyes.gif

Anyway, Abhisit enjoys a surge and I can only assume that has no relation with the popular topics on bathing costumes. Maybe more with a lessening of the campaigns against him. Rumour has it the NCPO even prohibited the screening of the popular "kill me some" tape. wink.png

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. First. This poll was a popularity poll comparing Abhisit and Yingluck. (You did read the OP didn't you?) So there was opposition. The protests, the coup, and the case against Yingluck doesn't stop people from answering whether they prefer Abhisit or Yingluck (or as the poll results show, someone else).

Second. A poll prior to the 2011 election showed that the Democrats policies were more popular than others. Just because people liked the policies doesn't mean that they would vote for them.

Third. Abhisit was elected an MP by the voters. He has been elected an MP (both constituency and party list) by the voters for many years (as opposed to Yingluck not being elected to anything before the election). Prior to Abhisit being elected PM, PPP's Samak and Somchai were both elected PM in the same way. In all three cases, coalitions were formed, all of them in less than honorable conditions. PPP needed to form a coalition with smaller parties to form government since they didn't get a majority of the seats (ie they didn't "win" the election). Some of the smaller parties had actually campaigned that they wouldn't join a PPP coalition. Some of them also flew off to Hong Kong to meet with the PPP party owner to do their deals too.

And Yes, Abhisit's coalition was formed in the barracks. One coalition member suggested that he didn't have a choice. I reckon that's because he was scared of missing a place at the trough.

When Abhisit was elected PM, he was elected by a majority of MPs. All the constituency seats were filled after byelections to replace banned MPs. All but 5 party list seats were filled. Remember that not all the PPP MPs were banned, only the executives were. The remaining PPP MPs either moved to PTP, BJT or other smaller parties. Only PPP was banned. All the smaller parties continued on.

So, please tell me when "they got rid of any opposition" to make Abhisit "look good"?

2006, 2008, and 2014.

Facts are wasted on this guy.

Mirror, mirror in the wall, ... ...

Mind you I'm a bit surprised TB didn't mention 2010 rolleyes.gif

Anyway, Abhisit enjoys a surge and I can only assume that has no relation with the popular topics on bathing costumes. Maybe more with a lessening of the campaigns against him. Rumour has it the NCPO even prohibited the screening of the popular "kill me some" tape. wink.png

Eh? What on earth are you talking about?

• Like 1

2006, 2008, and 2014.

2006 -> Elections weren't held until late 2007. Abhisit had opposition.

2008 -> All MP positions were filled when Abhisit was elected. Abhisit had opposition.

2014 -> This poll is about Abhisit and Yingluck. Doesn't anyone read the OP's anymore?

Show me the articles. Show me them. There is an NCPO decree that forbids the media from reporting statements from former politicians, from one side at any rate. They were all made to sign up to shut up. So was Abhisit, supposedly, so as to facilitate reconciliation in an unbiased way.

Show me statements that contain any kind of political commentary from the OTHER side of the debate.

Abhisit is the chosen one. Bangkok has spoken.

One for PTP and one for UDD. How many times has Abhisit had statements reported?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/759715-pheu-thai-raises-its-head-again/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/761448-udd-seeks-fair-probe-of-men-in-black-case/

• Like 1

How many protesters were shot under his watch?

How many 'drug dealers' that turned out to have no connection to drugs were shot under Thaksin's watch? Your point is moot.

Well, we could ask about how many under PM, caretaker PM, no-longer-caretaking PM Yingluck, but even that would be moot.

This is about Abhisit's surge, near private as it were.

• Like 1

Abasit loses the election....and cries foul! Cheating! Vote buying!

When advised to bring in international election observers that have proven methodology to ensure a fair vote, he refuses.

Lets face it. Abasit, the army generals and royalists are outnumbered and will not win an election again.

Their only hope is the Army and courts will keep them at the trough.

A fair election with all Thais having an equal vote won't happen.

cries foul! Cheating! Vote buying!

I assume you have some evidence for that.

The poll is not that much of a surprise as it was taken in Bangkok but Abhisit kept out of the way whilst all the disturbances were going on which was to his advantage. Surprised to see corruption high on the agenda, but pleased it is there and also pleased that the public want to Gen Prayuth's Govt to succeed, some good news for Thailand and a brighter future, hopefully.

The poll is not that much of a surprise as it was taken in Bangkok

I hope you are not implying that a poll taken in Bangkok would, naturally, be skewed in the Democrat's favor. If you would look at the poll results (47.75% to 40.9%) from the last Bangkok Governor's election, you will see that Bangkok voters are not unified in their support for the Democrats. A large percentage of Bangkok's population are non-voters from the provinces who work in Bangkok seasonally. Many are farm workers from Isaan (bastion of Thaksin's Red Shirt supporters), and they were just as likely to be polled as Bangkok voters. With that mix, it seems as though the poll should have been skewed toward Thaksin's puppets nominees. That is, it would be if Thaksin still had the same popularity he had before his the PTP's latest series of scandals. This latest poll makes it obvious the the negative press for Thaksin and his nominees, combined with the positive changes already effected by the NCPO, has caused many to reassess their views/feelings to the detriment of Dr. Thaksin.

Abasit loses the election....and cries foul! Cheating! Vote buying!

When advised to bring in international election observers that have proven methodology to ensure a fair vote, he refuses.

Lets face it. Abasit, the army generals and royalists are outnumbered and will not win an election again.

Their only hope is the Army and courts will keep them at the trough.

A fair election with all Thais having an equal vote won't happen.

cries foul! Cheating! Vote buying!

I assume you have some evidence for that.

he obviously is confusing abhisit with TV

The poll is not that much of a surprise as it was taken in Bangkok but Abhisit kept out of the way whilst all the disturbances were going on which was to his advantage. Surprised to see corruption high on the agenda, but pleased it is there and also pleased that the public want to Gen Prayuth's Govt to succeed, some good news for Thailand and a brighter future, hopefully.

I hope you are not implying that a poll taken in Bangkok would, naturally, be skewed in the Democrat's favor. If you would look at the poll results (47.75% to 40.9%) from the last Bangkok Governor's election, you will see that Bangkok voters are not unified in their support for the Democrats. A large percentage of Bangkok's population are non-voters from the provinces who work in Bangkok seasonally. Many are farm workers from Isaan (bastion of Thaksin's Red Shirt supporters), and they were just as likely to be polled as Bangkok voters. With that mix, it seems as though the poll should have been skewed toward Thaksin's puppets nominees. That is, it would be if Thaksin still had the same popularity he had before his the PTP's latest series of scandals. This latest poll makes it obvious the the negative press for Thaksin and his nominees, combined with the positive changes already effected by the NCPO, has caused many to reassess their views/feelings to the detriment of Dr. Thaksin.

my understanding from reading the other article related to this poll is that 'Bangkok Poll' is the name of the poll as the other article stated that the poll was nationwide... Now that doesn't say anything about weighting or methods, but from the other article it was clearly not a poll done only in Bangkok.

It was a confusing name for the poll.

my understanding from reading the other article related to this poll is that 'Bangkok Poll' is the name of the poll as the other article stated that the poll was nationwide... Now that doesn't say anything about weighting or methods, but from the other article it was clearly not a poll done only in Bangkok.

stated that the poll was nationwide

Good to know, thanks. I will point out to you that I was responding to nong38's claim that the poll was taken in Bangkok. nong37: The poll is not that much of a surprise as it was taken in Bangkok

Hmmm... Thai PBS quotes somewhat different figures from what is apparently the same poll: "The Democrat party’s popularity goes up to 24.0%, up 5.6% from its survey in March, while Pheu Thai’ popularity shrank 4.5% to 22.3% from 26.8%." (http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/poll-reveals-prayuth-government-stay-year-sake-peace/). What was it that Shakespeare said about 'Denmark' ...?

stated that the poll was nationwide

Good to know, thanks. I will point out to you that I was responding to nong38's claim that the poll was taken in Bangkok. nong37: The poll is not that much of a surprise as it was taken in Bangkok

I understand completely - it was nothing against you - just sharing with the group. :)

• Like 1

Hmmm... Thai PBS quotes somewhat different figures from what is apparently the same poll: "The Democrat party’s popularity goes up to 24.0%, up 5.6% from its survey in March, while Pheu Thai’ popularity shrank 4.5% to 22.3% from 26.8%." (http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/poll-reveals-prayuth-government-stay-year-sake-peace/). What was it that Shakespeare said about 'Denmark' ...?

The OP's figures are for Abhisit and Yingluck, not the Democrats and PTP.

Well, 'Denmark' still has a problem. The OP said, "The poll showed Abhisit's popularity had increased by 5.6 per cent - from 18.4 in March to 24 now. Yingluck's popularity had plunged by 4.5 per cent - from 22.3 per cent to 18.4 per cent."

How is it that Abhisit's figures are exactly the same as those quoted for the Democrats in general (i.e., 18.4 + 5.6 to 24.0)? For over a thousand people? Not one respondent gave different answers for Abhisit versus the Dems (if, in fact, there were two separate questions as you seem to suggest)?

Well, 'Denmark' still has a problem. The OP said, "The poll showed Abhisit's popularity had increased by 5.6 per cent - from 18.4 in March to 24 now. Yingluck's popularity had plunged by 4.5 per cent - from 22.3 per cent to 18.4 per cent."

How is it that Abhisit's figures are exactly the same as those quoted for the Democrats in general (i.e., 18.4 + 5.6 to 24.0)? For over a thousand people? Not one respondent gave different answers for Abhisit versus the Dems (if, in fact, there were two separate questions as you seem to suggest)?

Given that the names are different AND the numbers are different, I would suggest it's two different questions. People may have answered exactly the same for Abhisit and the Democrats (+/- 10 for rounding) but voted differently for Yingluck and PTP. I could see that some would like PTP but not Yingluck.

But, given the similarity of the numbers for Yingluck/PTP, it could also be bad reporting.

Edited by whybother

He has never WON an election - he got his shot at power by crossing the floor and joining the then opposition. While 'in power' he did sweet nothing - all the things he whined about when Yingluck was in power he could have tried to fix when he was in the PMs seat - he didn't.

The nicest thing about things is that he will never win an election if the boys in green ever give it back to the people to decide.

• Like 2

The north will not elect him for what he has done in 2010. The south is split because he has brought no prosperity during his term. Only some Bangkokians will elect him as they are hard core Dem followers or pro establishment. Those in the middle who see him negatively for boycotting the election thrice and will probably decide later. Either the Dem change their leader or they stand a snow ball in hell to be the next government, period.

True, if the next government is to be elected under universal sufferage. If however it is to be placed in power by some other means......well then he could be the acceptable face of the junta?

If we get more of these polls, could be the "fix" going in?

• Like 2

Somehow I doubt whether the pollsters would have bothered asking any dark skinned manual workers, taxi drivers or anyone speaking with a Buriram accent!

• Like 2

He has never WON an election - he got his shot at power by crossing the floor and joining the then opposition. While 'in power' he did sweet nothing - all the things he whined about when Yingluck was in power he could have tried to fix when he was in the PMs seat - he didn't.

The nicest thing about things is that he will never win an election if the boys in green ever give it back to the people to decide.

Crossing the floor? That's a new one. Care to explain who he joined when he crossed the floor?

• Like 1

Somehow I doubt whether the pollsters would have bothered asking any dark skinned manual workers, taxi drivers or anyone speaking with a Buriram accent!

I'm sure that, in your own mind, your doubts carry as much weight as everyone else's facts. What else do you doubt?

It doesn't matter anyway as another poster informed us that the poll was not restricted to Bangkok but was nation-wide.

The north will not elect him for what he has done in 2010. The south is split because he has brought no prosperity during his term. Only some Bangkokians will elect him as they are hard core Dem followers or pro establishment. Those in the middle who see him negatively for boycotting the election thrice and will probably decide later. Either the Dem change their leader or they stand a snow ball in hell to be the next government, period.

True, if the next government is to be elected under universal sufferage. If however it is to be placed in power by some other means......well then he could be the acceptable face of the junta?

If we get more of these polls, could be the "fix" going in?

Of course the fix is in.

The army could have more easily protected the voting polls that taken over the country.

Instead they stood back while Abasits gang intimidated voters and rioted at the polls.

I'm sure that, in your own mind, your doubts carry as much weight as everyone else's facts. What else do you doubt?

It doesn't matter anyway as another poster informed us that the poll was not restricted to Bangkok but was nation-wide.

Well, since you ask, amongst other things most of your pronouncements on and interpretation of the current Thai political scene.