Expats, how do you put money in your Steam wallet?

starrdog

If you have a Thai bank account, you can use your debit card online for the payment (Although you might have to enable it for online transactions first via the branch or ATM), this is what I usually do.

Alternatively, and I'm not 100% sure this will work as have only done it in other similar situations, not with Steam, is to setup your home creditcard on Paypal, and then make the payment to Steam via Paypal (I assume you can use Paypal on Steam).

Yeah, I do have a Thai bank account but it's a fixed account so I'll have to convert it. Then I'll hook that up to a new paypal account and I should be good to go. Currently steam accepts paypal, but not if the account is in a different country. Thanks for your help!

I have been able to pay for games on Steam while I was in Thailand but using my UK Paypal account with out an issue.

I think I just de-selected and re-selected the are you in the county box

I still can't seem to get it to work. I keep getting the message:

"Your billing address doesn't look like it matches up with your current country. Please contact support for assistance or use a payment method registered to your current address."

So I've contacted steam and I'm searching google on the error message. I'll post here if I find anything useful. Thanks though!

Try changing your address on Steam (and on Paypal aswell if that doesn't work) to your Thai address.

I have all of my addresses setup as my Thai address these days because I previously had exactly the same issue you're describing when I first changed from the NZ store to the Thai store.

Thanks SlyAnimal,

Unfortunately paypal country changes aren't allowed where I'm from. Paypal has an option to report when you're on vacation in a different country, but that also didn't work. Steam knows I'm in Thailand, so it looks like I'm off to the bank later today to get my account changed over to one I can use with paypal. Thanks everyone for all your input!

hmm, maybe my account was set up differently.. account is Canadian (in USD $ apparently)

and i am in thailand, i have not tried to add some steam wallet money because.. it's practically useless for me to do so

however, my credit card and/or paypal looks like it "should" work if I wanted to add Steam funds to my wallet.

here is a possibly interesting story for people who wish to save money (and it could fix your issue)

once upon a time, I added money on my Steam wallet .. it has only happened twice and was to buy Team Fortress 2 Mann Co Supply Crate keys

however, I do not play Team Fortress 2 so.. maybe it sounds strange to buy keys? let me give you a short explanation

Team Fortress 2 Keys are used as a currency to trade (games, other things) they are "worth" 2.50$ give or take

this is what I did yesterday. I traded 2 Team Fortress 2 Keys from my inventory for "Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack"

this game right now is 899 baht I believe. however once tried to add and paid on my account it gave me errors and went up to 34.99 USD

the keys are valued on the market at ± 2.50$ each, however you can buy some from people online via Paypal for 1.90$ plus paypal fees

game maximum price in this case is 4$ (paypal) or 5$ (steam market).

there is a reason why people are able to do this, and it is based on lower prices in other countries wink.png

if any of you are interested in getting more information on how this work or be shown, you can PM me.

and believe me, i have nothing to gain from this apart from helping fellow gamers save money so they can play more games

Edited by kekalot

kekalot, it might be showing the USD value because your account is registered as being in Canada.

To get the THB prices, I'm pretty sure your account needs to be registered as being in Thailand.

You can use CCs from the region in which you're currently registered to (As opposed to region you're currently in)

e.g. Until I changed my address to Thailand, I could use my NZ creditcard without any problems, despite being located in Thailand

So in your case, if you're still registered to Canada, your Canadian CC etc should still work without any problems.